PDA

View Full Version : EGR..What happens....

85_600
03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
When, on a '85 T1 car, you remove the EGR? Are they any codes thrown around or idiot lights coming on?

Thanks,
Paul

cordes
03-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I know it will store a code, but I am not sure if the CEL will come on.

85_600
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
So, at least it won't hurt the performance/running of the car? "IF" it won't set a CEL, then I should be ok with the emissions check.

Anything else this "removal" can or will do?

Thanks! :)

cordes
03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
I am not sure what it will do to your emmisions. The LM is not smart enough to tell what the deal is with the gasses that come out of the pipe.

I don't believe that it will put you into limp mode, but it would be nice for some one else to varify it.

GLHSKEN
03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Just leave the solenoid connected and you will be FINE. I've removed them before no issues

85_600
03-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Just leave the solenoid connected and you will be FINE. I've removed them before no issues

Cool! :thumb: Thanks Ken :)

5sp. mini
03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
when you swap the 87 t2 lm in there it does not have a egr so there is not codes . you will love the diff from log to blow tru. idles beter and more. AL

85_600
03-28-2006, 10:06 PM
when you swap the 87 t2 lm in there it does not have a egr so there is not codes . you will love the diff from log to blow tru. idles beter and more. AL

If everyone keeps pushing this "convert to T2" deal I might just do it :D Once I get in and dirty and see how hard/easy it is to fix this up, then I'll decide on the T2 conversion. The "ONLY" part about the conversion that I have no clue about is the wiring. If anyone relatively local to Cuyahoga, Medina or Summit counties knows how to do the wiring changes then the conversion might just jump up a few notches on my "To Do" list :eyebrows:

cordes
03-28-2006, 10:08 PM
If everyone keeps pushing this "convert to T2" deal I might just do it :D Once I get in and dirty and see how hard/easy it is to fix this up, then I'll decide on the T2 conversion. The "ONLY" part about the conversion that I have no clue about is the wiring. If anyone relatively local to Cuyahoga, Medina or Summit counties knows how to do the wiring changes then the conversion might just jump up a few notches on my "To Do" list :eyebrows:

I was quite intemidated at the prospect of doing this also, but trust me, it is no big deal. You really only have to run a couple wires into the engine bay from the LM, and move a couple more on the LM itself. There is no reason not to do it.

85_600
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I was quite intemidated at the prospect of doing this also, but trust me, it is no big deal. You really only have to run a couple wires into the engine bay from the LM, and move a couple more on the LM itself. There is no reason not to do it.

Oh, I don't have any problems with wanting to do it. It's just that electricity/electrical work and me just don't mix.

I've read and re-read TheDodgeGarage article on what to do with the LM and for the life of me I can't figure out what goes where. Schematics > ME:( Don't even ask me about my Electricity class in high school.:o

BTW: I do have a one piece intake, injector harness, TB from a 3.0 V6, and a LM. I'm not too sure on the LM though - what type it is. I'll have to ask Bryan again about it or post a pic of it to see if someone can tell me what type it is.

I figure, all I'd need then are the injectors, some wire, and patience...:D

5sp. mini
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
i got some wireing pic,s to help it is not that hard because they made them that way so it,s factory, al

85_600
03-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Basically, before the "problem" arose with the 600, what my plans were:

Upgrade exhaust = 2.5" DP - High FLow Cat, Some type of muffler, possible side exit.
IC the Log. Just some ideas I have. Not sure if they would/will work.
Possible FWD "1985" Stage 1 computer.
Grainger.

That was it. The IC ideas I had/have would require the EGR to be removed. That's why I was asking about what possible problems would arise from removing it.

I just want to make the 600 a bit more fun to drive, and be "reliable" as a daily driver. I don't want to go to far overboard with the mods.

If I do decide to stay on my course, then I'll be having some parts up for sale to help pay for the mods I'm thinking of. But, this won't be for sometime yet. The 600 is still sitting in my fathers driveway. He starts it up every couple weeks to make sure it's running ok. The best guess I have as to when I'll get to start working on it is "possibly" June, maybe sooner.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. I do have a camera now so I'll be able to take pics of the things I have questions about.

GLHSKEN
03-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh, I don't have any problems with wanting to do it. It's just that electricity/electrical work and me just don't mix.

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE. Finally dove into my daughters car (after stalling)... it was a piece of cake.

When you are ready, guys on here can do it in their sleep.

R/T
03-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Removing the EGR will not cause codes, just make the engine bay cleaner!!!

Use a carrage bolt/nut to block off the exhaust side, and a plate across the intake side. No big deal.

Also a good time to throw away those hard plastic vac lines.

There are *11* vac lines on a draw thru, only *3* are needed to run the car:

1. Manifold to FPR

2. Manifold to MAP sensor

3. Boost control

THROW THE REST AWAY!!!!!

85_600
04-01-2006, 12:39 AM
Removing the EGR will not cause codes, just make the engine bay cleaner!!!

Use a carrage bolt/nut to block off the exhaust side, and a plate across the intake side. No big deal.

Also a good time to throw away those hard plastic vac lines.

There are *11* vac lines on a draw thru, only *3* are needed to run the car:

1. Manifold to FPR

2. Manifold to MAP sensor

3. Boost control

THROW THE REST AWAY!!!!!

Now THIS is the best news of the day! :thumb:

I just wish I could start working on the 600 now. As it looks, I won't be able to touch it until August:( I may be able to sneak some time in before then but I have a week in August that I won't have the kids or the wife around :p