PDA

View Full Version : SBEC Voltage Regulator Failure (how to fix)

jckrieger
03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Ok, so I started getting code 41 on my 91 Daytona Shelby and found out my SBEC was the culprit this time. Has anyone been able to repair the voltage regulator in the SBEC? I used to do industrial electronic repair, so the physical repair isn't a problem, but there isn't exactly a nice schematic for the SBEC in the service manuals.

If the circuit can't be repaired, does anyone see a problem with installing an external voltage regulator (like the ones used on the older Chryslers) inside the SBEC and just connecting pin 20 (green field wire) to the external regulator's output, +12V to the regulator's input, and grounding the regulator's case?

Also, will the SBEC continue to throw code 41 since it won't see an alternator field current? Or does it throw the code based on the charging system voltage?

"Top Fuel" Bender
03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
If the circuit can't be repaired, does anyone see a problem with installing an external voltage regulator (like the ones used on the older Chryslers) inside the SBEC and just connecting pin 20 (green field wire) to the external regulator's output, +12V to the regulator's input, and grounding the regulator's case?

Also, will the SBEC continue to throw code 41 since it won't see an alternator field current? Or does it throw the code based on the charging system voltage?

I've done it on an older 2 computer setup's without problems
Also did a conversion van V8 SBEC with same problem
wire it on the firewall, no need to put it in the computer
not sure if are cars will care differently