PDA

View Full Version : 12.7@114 with base timing retarded 25-30 degrees

Ondonti
10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
That was my best run on 14psi boost. Car picked up 28mph on the top end because I was shifting incredibly slow and did the same 1/8th traps as I did on 6, 8 and 10 psi boost.
I just checked the timing for the first time on this car. been meaning to do it forever just never did. Couldn't see the mark when I hit it with the timing light.

Advanced the distributor about 3/16" and the light was visible at about minus 15 degrees.

I had originally cranked the distributor way advanced cause it ran better...though I worried about "all the timing" and detonation"
So it was probably near zero to minus 5 degrees base timing (stock is 12) when I ran 6psi boost. When I up'd the boost, I took away a good amount of timing on the base just because I thought it was way to advanced already.

Oops!
I cant imagine how much that hurt. My 3.0 turbo Spirit accidentally ran 24 degrees base timing and was dang quick for a bone stock motor on 5 pounds of boost and horrible driving (13.9@101.8 on first pass ever).
I blamed a lot on the blow bye in the motor, but the motor was always WAY down on the power that I expected it to be making.

The duster always seemed slow in comparison for how much boost and weight and motor mods.

Ondonti
10-30-2008, 09:13 PM
crank pulley was off and I guess I just got lucky before that the timing was okay and it ran.
I will have to see what the timing is now :P
The dowel on the crankshaft for the pulley disappeared so thats why it was on wrong. I never thought about it since I never bothered to check the timing.

Clay
10-30-2008, 09:31 PM
regardless of your issues, thats still pretty good!

Ondonti
10-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Well I found that the car wont really idle on stock timing (12) so its set to 20 degrees right now. Stupid low compression.
It does feel good to know what the timing is now. I made a few marks on the distributor for messing around with on the street if I feel like it. If I change the cam timing back to stock then those marks will be meaningless.

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Thats a great time, 11's should be knocking soon, :clap: