PDA

View Full Version : no boost, VRRRRRRRRRR noise

Phreakish
03-28-2006, 01:21 AM
so I pulled away from my drive this afternoon, and the car was FINE. Then all of a sudden (can't recall if I was in boost or not) the car doesn't want to pull that well. I hear a VRRRR noise from the engine compartment that doesn't seem to be there except under accel...

I check the engine, no oil - so hopefully it aint a piston/headgasket (thank god I got spares, but still!).

But there is NO boost, and I DO NOT want to drive it (its parked now) or keep testing it if the turbo blew and send metal and crap through the motor...

Is it possible I stripped a tooth or two on the timing belt? It doesn't do it at idle, or off the gas, but definitely when accelerating or applying power (up hill) and even when it wouldnt' seem the turbo would be spinning...

I hope it aint the turbo, I got a spare, but I just broke an axle and am on my spare one of those for now too, EEK.

Dave
03-28-2006, 01:42 AM
You blew an intercooler hose.

Phreakish
03-28-2006, 02:21 AM
if it were intercooled ;) its a suck-through, so dont think it would run too good with a boost hose screwed up, but that IS a good idea to check!

Phreakish
03-28-2006, 03:22 AM
turbo is hosed... lots o shaft play on the compressor side, healthy doses of oil off the compressor cover, and one stuck nut on the damned exhaust mani.... argh!

Dave
03-28-2006, 11:07 AM
That would be it then. What kind of play is it? In/out or up/down... or worse.. :eek: both?