PDA

View Full Version : Cam Timing

bfarroo
10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm trying to figure out a issue I'm having with the turbo getting hot (glowing red slightly after highway cruise) I'm thinking the exhaust timing is advanced and opening early causing excess unburnt gas going out the exhaust. I rechecked the timing a while ago with this process. I set the intermediate and crank sprocket like usual with a 8v. Then with the valve cover off I installed some dowels in the holes in the cams (2.0) so they were straight up. then installed the timing belt. I have the FWD cam gears. Anyone know what position they should be in when the engine is timed correctly?

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Dude, thats normal, exhaust is hot, after a highway blast, the turbo will be red, ;)

bfarroo
10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Not really blasting down the highway though, just cruising at 15in vacuum, 5th gear 2500 rpm. Seems a little on the hot side to me. This is with a HX35 also.

turbovanmanČ
10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Do you have an EGT guage? Turbo's glowing red is fairly normal.

cordes
10-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Do you have an EGT guage? Turbo's glowing red is fairly normal.

Not when you are just cruising on the freeway though.

t3rse
10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
don't forget not water cooled....egt reading could be useful

bfarroo
10-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah I'm looking at getting a EGT gauge for next year. I just didn't think the exhaust would be nearly that warm just cruising. I also checked the injectors and they arn't leaking at all. I'm going to check timing one more time when I have a chance. Does anyone know if the above procedure is correct for setting the timing with the neon head. Anyone know the orientation of the FWD gears with the timing set correctly.

whywoody
10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't have the FWD adjustable gears,so can't comment there,but the method you have used to time the cams to the crank is fine.With the 2ltr cams,one gear locating pin will be positioned down and the other cam's will be up (forget which,ex/in..). With the 2.4ltr cams both intake and exhaust pin's will be up.
With mine,at those rpm's etc I see 1250-1300*F measured @ #1 exhaust port.I use a HY35 and at those temps it only looks a little warm at night,nothing in daylight.
I had mine running 'hot' a few times now,and it turned out to be a HEP on it's way out but not setting a code yet,and the last time was the oil pump/distributor drive gear and intermediate shaft was worn out allowing the the distributor to be out a tooth but keeping the static timming marks aligned..
Do you have one of those laser temp reader tools? If so,you could take the car for a cruise and then pull over and quickly measure the surface temps,post them here,and I could measure mine with that method for a comparison.

Russ Jerome
11-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Just for kicks when the VC is off stick two foot long peices of rod in the cam blanks, compare those to a strait carpenters square setting upright on the cam caps. When Tom and I degreed a DOHC the cam blank holes where so dam close to TDC we could verify it with a runout gauge measing the intake lift at 118* or whatever the base circle was.

The only right way to check is by degreeing the camshafts. Regardless your going to run the cams where the vehicle performs the best, for power or drivability so it realy doesnt matter if the sprockets are TDC or not you definately have a cam issue. I would retard the timing on the exhaust side just a couple of degrees and measure with a cheap infa red heat gun while without an EGT gauge for now. Repeat and advance it just a tad, retest.

Your electronic timing can effect the exhaust temp at cruise as well but it would have to be whacked to cause the turbo to glow that hot, Im saying cam timing.

bfarroo
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah I'm planning on doing that one of these days. I also need to start working on a cal for the car as I'm running a Stage 2 from FWD since that's what was in the car when it was 8v. Putting more of my efforts towards the ice racer now as winter will soon be upon us.