PDA

View Full Version : Srt4 swap into a shadow

problem
10-28-2008, 07:30 PM
i was wondering what would need to be done in order to put a srt4 motor into a shadow. any pics, info on what would be needed form a srt4, would be help full thanks.

cordes
10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
look at badassperformance's setup in his Z. That will be what you need to do, with the possible exception to all the billet items.

BadAssPerformance
10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

The swap takes some work for sure, but a few of us have done it. The short list... obviously there are hundreds of actual details...

-custom engine mounts

-engine management
---use the shadow's electronics, custom cal or stand alone
---full swap, run off of SRT4 electronics

-SRT4 neon 5-speed (or auto) trans or custom mount an old school trans

-misc plumbing, etc to make it fit/work...

look at badassperformance's setup in his Z. That will be what you need to do, with the possible exception to all the billet items.

LOL... thanks! ...and yeah, I went a little crazy with stuff :D

some pics here:

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/24L/firstlook/24L_firstlook.html

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/24L/firstlook/in04.jpg

problem
10-28-2008, 07:53 PM
or also how hard would it be to turbo a shadow motor, thanks for the replies

2.216VTurbo
10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
or also how hard would it be to turbo a shadow motor, thanks for the replies

Uh, I'm sensing we need a little focus here... Pick a project and stick with it. If you are starting with a non-turbo Shadow and converting to turbo, that would be an easier first project than the 2.4 swap.

BadAssPerformance
10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
What year Shadow?

You can swap a 2.2L/2.5L turbo motor right in and swap wiring harnesses and computers. The non-turbo motors are higher compression and have inferior exhaust valves but you could bolt the turbo parts right on if you already have a 2.2L/2.5L non turbo...

turboshad
10-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Uh, I'm sensing we need a little focus here... Pick a project and stick with it. If you are starting with a non-turbo Shadow and converting to turbo, that would be an easier first project than the 2.4 swap.

+1, not to discourage people from trying but if you aren't deticated to some serious hours to do a proper job than trying a 2.4 swap will just frustrate you. If you want some thing decently quick and easy do, the 2.2 or 2.5 turbo swap is what you want and should make you giddy. If you want a good challange and a really unique ride when you are done than welcome to the suckers with nice rides club :thumb: I don't regret my swap for one minute but it also took me countless hours.

DJ

BadAssPerformance
10-28-2008, 08:06 PM
True story... I cant count high enough to add up the hours in my swap :o and I don't think I woul dhave done it this way if I didnt have a full machine shop and welder at my disposal.

problem
10-28-2008, 08:17 PM
its a 1987, thanks

inmyshadow
10-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I suppose you are asking your question based on what I responded to at yahoo question?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgeQVK6fDSTFk.Me2PSfJk3sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20081027173639AAlSpqW&show=7#profile-info-c4683f367d33c2c2247031147979ad53aa

i was wondering what would need to be done in order to put a srt4 motor into a shadow. any pics, info on what would be needed form a srt4, would be help full thanks.

turbovanmanČ
10-29-2008, 08:32 PM
+1, not to discourage people from trying but if you aren't deticated to some serious hours to do a proper job than trying a 2.4 swap will just frustrate you. If you want some thing decently quick and easy do, the 2.2 or 2.5 turbo swap is what you want and should make you giddy. If you want a good challange and a really unique ride when you are done than welcome to the suckers with nice rides club :thumb: I don't regret my swap for one minute but it also took me countless hours.

DJ

Agreed. Even though I went TIII, its still a boat load of work and not for the faint of heart. If you can stick thru it, you will piss yourself laughing when you hit boost, :nod:, not that you won't with an 8 valve, :thumb: