PDA

View Full Version : Help! Rebuilt 413 tranny not going into gear! HELP!

dds78910
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I have been rebuilding a 1981 Omni 024 for my step daughter and I had a spare tranny that I had rebuilt by a local tranny shop that ony does auto trannys and they seem to do good work. Anyways I got the "new" tranny in and now it wont go in gear, it wont do anthing. When I put it it back in drive it makes a little noise and it seems to hesitate a little. Any ideas?

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2008, 09:32 PM
It could be anything-

Bad pump, stuck regulator, leaking pump or valve body, torn piston seals.

You need to do a pressure test first, then you will have an idea of whats going on.

dds78910
10-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Didnt have all the pieces to hook up a guage to the port on the tranny, but I pulled off the cooler hose put the car in neutral and and started it up and it sprayed everywhere! I had the hose in a bucket, but it didnt stay in the bucket. So the pump seems to work.

Also with the car in park I can push the car forward and reverse. So something is not locking the car in park.

Tony Hanna
10-28-2008, 01:40 AM
On the subject of the trans not going into park, is it possible that the shifter isn't adjusted properly and not moving the lever on the trans far enough to fully engage park? Might try it with the cable disconnected and see if you can put it into park with the lever on the trans by hand. Just a thought...

Off topic:
I'm curious about the chrome stripes and dark (black?) lettering on the side moldings of your R/T. Was that original, or a set of ES Moldings with the black decals (for a red R/T)? It looks great, but the difference got me wondering enough to start a thread about it awhile back. I could have sworn I'd seen others like that, but after looking around for pictures, yours was the only one I could find.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30350
Sorry for the OT,
Tony

dds78910
10-28-2008, 01:55 AM
On the subject of the trans not going into park, is it possible that the shifter isn't adjusted properly and not moving the lever on the trans far enough to fully engage park? Might try it with the cable disconnected and see if you can put it into park with the lever on the trans by hand. Just a thought...

Off topic:
I'm curious about the chrome stripes and dark (black?) lettering on the side moldings of your R/T. Was that original, or a set of ES Moldings with the black decals (for a red R/T)? It looks great, but the difference got me wondering enough to start a thread about it awhile back. I could have sworn I'd seen others like that, but after looking around for pictures, yours was the only one I could find.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30350
Sorry for the OT,
Tony

I already tried that, I disconnected the shifter cable and moved the lever into park by hand and still doesnt go into park.

On the R/T subject, the letter and strip on my R/T were done in a reflective black, and my flash was on when I took the pics and it made the srtip look white, but they are actually black. Here is another pic that might be a little better for seeing the black srtip towards the back. I guess I dont have any with my flash off. 10932

On a side note for you, do you play Call of Duty 4 for Playstation 3? There is a guy on there I wlay with once in a while and his name is Tony Hanna. Just wondering.

Tony Hanna
10-28-2008, 02:22 AM
I already tried that, I disconnected the shifter cable and moved the lever into park by hand and still doesnt go into park.
Hmm... I'm going to have to leave that one for Simon and the others with more auto trans experience then. It's been a few years since I've been into one. I'll be into the one in the ES soon, but that doesn't help you any.:(

On the R/T subject, the letter and strip on my R/T were done in a reflective black, and my flash was on when I took the pics and it made the srtip look white, but they are actually black. Here is another pic that might be a little better for seeing the black srtip towards the back. I guess I dont have any with my flash off. 10932
Thanks, that satisfies my curiosity. I'm guessing something similar was done to the other one (if I really did see another one and didn't just imagine it). That or maybe ES moldings and bumper covers with a black decal set from Positive Impressions.:thumb:

On a side note for you, do you play Call of Duty 4 for Playstation 3? There is a guy on there I wlay with once in a while and his name is Tony Hanna. Just wondering.
Not me, but I believe that's the first time I've ever heard mention of another Tony Hanna. Might be a distant relative I don't know about.:)

Thanks,
Tony

lametec
10-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Either they didn't put it back together right or they put a large spline differential in it.

dds78910
10-29-2008, 01:10 PM
CRAP! You are right, I forgot to go that! I new I needed to swap diffs but I put this project to the side to work on something else and when I put this tranny in I forgot I needed to do it. I put in a newer tranny in this car and had the pumps swapped around so I could run the newer tranny on a older torque converter setup for this omni. And that was to only thing left I need to do was to swap the diffs still! Now I feel like a A$$! Thanks for the help

Now I need to see if I can get the diff out w/o pulling the tranny.:o

turbovanmanČ
10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Either they didn't put it back together right or they put a large spline differential in it.

Good catch, :thumb:

2.2turboscotty
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
would it be easier to just swap to the bigger spline axles than swap the diff? i had Mike Demoss build my 413 and i had him put in the bigger diff in it and i got newer Omni bigger axles. just a thought.

dds78910
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
As of yesterday I already had the whole crossmember pulled out and both diffs pulled out. Plus I want to keep the larger spine axles with my race car and leave the smaller ones with the car I am giving to my step daughter.

Tony Hanna
10-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Glad to hear it turned out to be something easily fixed like that instead of having to go through the trans again.:thumb: