PDA

View Full Version : bumper and hood change?

Jon
03-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I am thinking of replacing the hood and front bumper on my 1990 ES turbo, with the bumper and hood off a 1985 Turbo Z because I am tired cranking up and down my headlights when they won't work only in public.I was wondering if there were any major obsticles I should be aware of.I'm also looking for oppinions on how this might look.I feel the vented hood might help keep the turbo cooler for better opperation.

turbomopar87
03-27-2006, 09:32 PM
from what i have experienced when taking the noses of my cars (86 and 87 daytonas) there would be a bunch of thing you would have to do. You would need the fenders becasue of the way the bumper cover wraps around. This would then mean you need different side skirt ground effects since the 90's ones attach different from the 85's to the fenders. You would also need the entire headlight assembly from the 85 or 86. Its a fiberglass unit that spans the entire bumper length. might even nee the early bumper support bracket too.
Basically you want to look for an entire 85 or 86 parts car, and put them next to eachother and start taking them apart at the same time and seeing what matches and what doesnt.

As for the hood helping, might as well just intercool it, that vent did only a little cooling compared to what a nice FMIC would do. You might as well do the front mount while your nose if off.

With the time you spend putting all this together, you might as well go to a junk yard and get the 2 headlights with motors, or the whole bumper, from ANY 87-91 daytona, and just put those in your car and be all set.

Jon
03-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I already have a complete parts car for the part swop and I have a stock shelby intercooler installed.I'm happy with the styling of most the car except the frontend, I'm just worried the load of dual headlights on the stock switch might be too much and cause problems with the power module.Thanks for the info and hope you have more.

turbomopar87
03-29-2006, 01:10 AM
i actually am not sure about any power problems with running the headlights. I see what your talking about, but you might be ok with it.

If you have the complete car, then give it a try. I knwo there are people who have mad the full front end swap before, maybe they can chime in here.

You should give the bumper swap a try, see if the sides of the bumper cover wrap around the fenders ok. The 85 bumper most likely wont have the same mounting points to the fender as the 90, but you should be able to make them fit. I bet that they are pretty close, adn the seems can be covered up with the molding anyway. A little cutting here and there and you could have a good looking set up, and totally different then everyone else.
As for the hood, the lower area of the vent thing wont clear the larger 1pc intake(not sure what you have) If its a log style, then it would clear fine. But if it is the larger intake manifold which sticks up a little behind the valve covers, then the Vent wouldnt be very functional. Insted that grill would be used more for letting hot air escape from being the engine and bring fresh cool air into the compartment, not actually cooling the turbo persay.

But if you have all the stuff then yeah, definatly go for it. THe bumpers are like 10 bolts or so, maybe an hour to get each one off for your first time. Just take them off and see how it looks just holding it there.

let me know if your gonna do it and have any more questions
Kris

Jon
03-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks Kris this info is very useful.I don't plan on starting the prodject for a couple of weeks because I don't have heat in my garage and there is still snow on the ground.When I do start, I'll post pictures of the before and after. I've been restoring classic rides for a living the last 6 years but have never tried anything this new and I'm not that familiar with the electronics.This daytona needs to be perfect so when it smokes by the mustybangs they will remember and wonder.