PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove a 2dr L body door?!?!

Juggy
10-24-2008, 10:21 AM
hey guys theres a pick n pull with a set of MINT doors that I could really use for my shelby charger.

Id like to know how you guys are getting these things off. I should be able to get the fenders off because im taking those as well.
the car is parked between 2 other cars and im not able to open the doors fully!!!!

are the hinges soft enuff to cut through them with a sawzall???
I wont have any means of power or air tools, unless its cordless which means Ill have to run out and buy something to get it charged up for 2morrow!

I know the pins are a PITA but is there any easier way to getting them out???

jory
10-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Once you remove the fenders the hinge bolts should be right there. You don't even need to open the doors to get to them.

spoolinhard
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Once you remove the fenders the hinge bolts should be right there. You don't even need to open the doors to get to them.

there are no hinge bolts, just pins. Get some penetrating fluid. Hose them down, leave them a while. and go for it the old fashioned way. Not sure if you could cut through them.

minigts
10-24-2008, 12:07 PM
yeah, definitely remove the fenders to get to them. :(

Juggy
10-24-2008, 12:26 PM
thing is I dont really have TIME, its a $50 take everything u can out the door with you day!!

so me and a friend = $100 and we load up the rust free hatch, with rust free doors and fenders, along with the complete interior (or as much that will hold on the the pile) and carry it out :D

I should have hosed em down with licquid when i was there yesterday, this car has 1/2"thick of dirt/oil guard all built up underneath, maybe ill get lucky and the pins will come out fairly easily, as the rest of the car has been fairly easy to molest, but i have a feeling these doors will really slow me down.

Clay
10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
one of these:
http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/03/01/milwaukee_18_volt_sawzall_recip_saw_2.4_reviews_45 134_300.jpg

and a long blade FTW!

jaysshelby
10-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Once you get the fenders off you can get to the hinge pins. I have taken doors off at the yards, by leaving the doors shut. then spray the hinge pin area with PB Blaster. I take a long skinny drift pin or round punch and pound the upper pin down thru the hinge and the lower pin up thru the hinge. once you have about a 1/2" to a 1" on pin oushed out grab it with a good pair of vice grips and hit the vise grip with the hammer to get them the rest of the way out. do all of this while to keep soaking them with the Blaster. It takes some time but will save you from having to by any cordless tools at the moment.

RoadWarrior222
10-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Getting the fenders off usually involves ripping out the inner liner and going to the back of the arch for a couple or three bolts there, which might be a PITA, easier to tear the brackets off on a yard car than try getting the bolts loose most of the time.

Anyhoo, the quick way is to reverse at high speed past a concrete pillar.

boost geek
10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
L bodies have no bolts, hinges are welded on.

"Top Fuel" Bender
10-24-2008, 07:30 PM
home depot $99 roybi 18v sawzall
works good
then return the sawzall if your a true td'er

Anonymous_User
10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
then return the sawzall if your a true td'er

QFT!!!

85shelbycharger
10-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Sawzall will take them off no problem :thumb: I've cut up my fair share of l-bodies this way :p

Juggy
10-25-2008, 04:53 PM
got a cordless sawsall but the battery went dead, DOH!!!

the fenders are off now, so we just going to bring a set of torches and make it a really quick job lol

$100 dollars got me the complete interior, 2 fenders, the hatch a nippo ALT and some other odds n ends, $50 more dollars 2morrow and I should have the doors too, at most might be another $100 to finish getting what i need

kowalski
12-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Just use the tool they show in the service manual. $20 and it works great.
http://www.tptools.com/p/898,318_Door-Hinge-Pin-Extractor.html

GLHS592
12-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Last time I got a door at a junkyard, I paid the guy $5 extra to saw it off around the hinges.