PDA

View Full Version : supporting turbo

87turbodance
03-27-2006, 05:58 PM
How are you V6 turbo guys supporting your turbo an dhwta turbo are you using? I'm seriously looking into the turbo setup on my recently aquired mint '89 spirit ES V6. I'm thinking of manking a couple of log maniflds up using weld els but I'm concerened about expansion and contraction cracking the metal. Are you guys using flex pipes? Can they take the heat? One flex pipe like stock or two like the prototype 3.0 turbo? What about running a pair of stock chrysler mitsu's? I liek the singe turbo idea better though

c2xejk
03-27-2006, 10:06 PM
All depends on where and how you mount the turbo... If you do a crossover mounted turbo, I would recommend two flex joints and a mounting bracket (hint, you can use some of the transmission mounting bolts...)

The key thing to remember, you must account for thermal expansion...

There are other ways/places to mount the turbo. Some require flex joints, some don't...

There are several books out there that talk about this and show examples. Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is one such book. I would recommend picking up a copy.

87turbodance
03-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Anyone every read this book?

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978083760309/0837603099/The+Scientific+Design+Of+Exhaust+And+Intake+System s

Do you know any good books for porting 2 valve cross flow heads?

c2xejk
03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
How to Build, Modify and Power Tune Cylinder Heads by Peter Burgess and David Gollan is a good starting point.

I would also recommend going to speedtalk.com and ordering some of the porting CD's. You will also want to search and read the postings in the forum... Keep in mind some of the advice is for more full blown race engines, but most of it is very enlightening!

I need to have Mike post these on the KMPerformance.com advised read list...

I will say that I have been suprised by what port shape is generating the best flow numbers. Taking a "Bigger is Better" attitude will often lead you down the wrong path when it comes to porting... A flow bench is probably the MOST important piece of equipment...

Ed Kelly
www.kmperformance.com