PDA

View Full Version : Political threads

BigAl
10-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Is it not possible to put all the opinions in one thread instead of starting new ones to say exactly the same thing the last guy said?

93sundance
10-22-2008, 02:55 PM
no it is not possible. you are asking too much!

RoadWarrior222
10-22-2008, 03:01 PM
But the point in starting the new thread is to affirm that your opinion is not exactly the same as that other snowflakes, for in fact you have 284 tessellations per arm not 282.

88_pacifica
10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
no it is not possible. you are asking too much!

I think you've exceeded the allottable usage window of the computer you're on at the library. You need to get up and let that 14 year old boy get on there so he can research his Current Events project that's due Friday, numnuts...

RoadWarrior222
10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
But the library is warm, and they don't throw you out unless anyone else complains about the smell or noise.

BadAssPerformance
10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Is it not possible to put all the opinions in one thread instead of starting new ones to say exactly the same thing the last guy said?

And you started a new thread??? ;)

zin
10-22-2008, 05:39 PM

And you started a new thread??? ;)

:lol:

Seems like this is spike in political threads is a direct result of this being a big election year and that it is likely the volume will drop after the election. Given this fact, I wouldn't try to pigeon hole or restrict anyone, but if the volume doesn't drop off dramatically after the election, perhaps we could add a sub-forum in the Lounge?

Additionally, I haven't seen threads that were started as the same topic, from what I've seen they start out specific, though they can quickly evolve into a discussion of the lowest common denominator resulting in the same points being made in a number of different threads. As you may well know I've been involved in more than one of these, and I too get a little tired re-hashing stuff already discussed in another thread, but I don't think you could easily roll them all together without creating a lot of confusion.

Besides, there's nothing that says you have to read all of them... ;)

Mike

black86glhs
10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Damn politicos....LOL!!!

BadAssPerformance
10-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Additionally, I haven't seen threads that were started as the same topic,...

the first post may be different each time.. but you're right, then end up in the same mud...

I posted a note in the mod section about this... a sub-forum for political and religion, etc may be a good idea, other car forums do this to keep the lounge more car talk... :thumb:

moved to 'board discussion'

zin
10-22-2008, 08:52 PM
the first post may be different each time.. but you're right, then end up in the same mud...

I posted a note in the mod section about this... a sub-forum for political and religion, etc may be a good idea, other car forums do this to keep the lounge more car talk... :thumb:

moved to 'board discussion'

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Mike

Anonymous_User
10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I am fully capable of ignoring the political and religious threads when I want to. I enjoy having them because I often find myself bored and feel like reading and responding.

I wouldn't like to lose them, but I wouldn't argue with a sub-category either.

Tony Hanna
10-23-2008, 05:14 AM
I'll throw my vote in for a for a sub forum as well. Even better if posts in that sub forum could be made not to show up when clicking the "today's posts" or "new posts" link.

looneytuner
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM
I'll throw my vote in for a for a sub forum as well. Even better if posts in that sub forum could be made not to show up when clicking the "today's posts" or "new posts" link.

+1 I requested this about a month ago.

Here is one solution from a boat forum when you start to post.

"Is your topic political? If so, be sure you're posting in The Political Corner "

zin
10-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Even better if posts in that sub forum could be made not to show up when clicking the "today's posts" or "new posts" link.

I'm a little ambivalent about masking them from "new posts", I understand and sympathize with the thought behind it, but a number of these threads I only became aware of because they came up in "new posts". Of course once there was a specific topic, if you felt like it you could go there, and this is primarily a car forum, so... See the ambivalence?:nod: However, if political post are a nuisance to enough people then we should set-up a separate forum, but since this volume is likely to drop off to almost nothing after the election, I'd rather these posts not be masked.

Mike

Tony Hanna
10-23-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm a little ambivalent about masking them from "new posts", I understand and sympathize with the thought behind it, but a number of these threads I only became aware of because they came up in "new posts". Of course once there was a specific topic, if you felt like it you could go there, and this is primarily a car forum, so... See the ambivalence?:nod: However, if political post are a nuisance to enough people then we should set-up a separate forum, but since this volume is likely to drop off to almost nothing after the election, I'd rather these posts not be masked.

Mike

My whole take on political (and religious) discussions is that they often create animosity between people who would otherwise be perfectly friendly toward each other. Differing viewpoints turn into heated discussions, heated discussions turn into personal attacks, that sort of thing. I'll admit to being as guilty of it as anybody else which is why I've tried to stay out of the current crop of political threads. Kind of hard though when there's 2 or 3 of them staring you in the face every time you click the "today's posts" link.

That said, I'm guessing you're right about them dropping off after the election. At least I hope so.:)