PDA

View Full Version : Air/Fuel Ratio reading on my Rampage..

Turbo_Rampage
03-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Hey, I just installed a new Auto Meter Air/fuel Ratio gauge in my Rampage, and i have a few questions about it. When i am driving at a consistant speed (part throttle, no boost) the LED is bouncing back and fourth fast, which is normal right?. It goes from Stoich to Lean. Usually to the 1st red LED all the way to the last Stoitch LED.. Is this normal? Also in Mid to full throttle in boost it lights up the 1st, and sometimes the 2nd rich LED and doesnt move. Does this sound normal? I am not to sure on what voltage reading i should get at mid/full throttle.

I hope this all makes sence, :o.

Thanks in advance

Will Martin
03-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Your guage sounds like it's working properly. Your main concern should be WOT. It should be at the rich side when your foot is too the floor. I have one and I've now bought a conversion kit to turn it into wide band.

Turbo_Rampage
03-27-2006, 02:26 AM
Your guage sounds like it's working properly. Your main concern should be WOT. It should be at the rich side when your foot is too the floor. I have one and I've now bought a conversion kit to turn it into wide band.

Thanks for the fast reply! Do you think its running a bit lean at full throttle? What do you think i can do to make it run a bit richer? I allready have MP #803 injectors, 60 PSI static fuel pressure, MP computer and a bunch of other things done to it.

WVRampage
03-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Does the same thing my rampage does mine is usualy on the 2nd green light was WOT.

WVRampage
03-27-2006, 02:52 AM
How do you convert to a wide band,where to you get the kit at,how much does it cost and what are the real benifits of using the wide band.

Marcus86GLHS
03-27-2006, 04:37 PM
kick me if i am wrong but you cant "convert" a narrowband to a wideband but you can "swap" them.

the advantages of using a wideband over a narrowband are the same advantages as having a direct-reading oil pressure gauge versus just a low-oil pressure warning light.

Will Martin
03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
kick me if i am wrong but you cant "convert" a narrowband to a wideband but you can "swap" them.

the advantages of using a wideband over a narrowband are the same advantages as having a direct-reading oil pressure gauge versus just a low-oil pressure warning light.

Well brotha, bend over while I slip on my Shaq-Diesel size 23 boot and get a good running start! LOL J/K

You can convert a narrow band to a wide band. I have it, I have done it. http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=151

It is specifically for use with the Autometer style guages. I only bought this as I didn't want to have the Autometer go to waste.

Turbo_Rampage; do you have an adjustable fpr? What I did was try to master the art of reading my plugs after WOT runs. After I added my bigger turbo, 3" exhaust, header and Steve Menegon head, I HAD to up the pressure a bit. Just 3 days ago I went on a 20psi blast, and changed out the Autolite 63's. They look good as new, with just a hint of greying on them. My narrowband Autometer guage at WOT would peg the meter in green on the last two lights. I think my base fuel pressure (with vac line taken off) is 58, I can't exactly remember now.

Turbo_Rampage
03-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Well brotha, bend over while I slip on my Shaq-Diesel size 23 boot and get a good running start! LOL J/K

You can convert a narrow band to a wide band. I have it, I have done it. http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=151

It is specifically for use with the Autometer style guages. I only bought this as I didn't want to have the Autometer go to waste.

Turbo_Rampage; do you have an adjustable fpr? What I did was try to master the art of reading my plugs after WOT runs. After I added my bigger turbo, 3" exhaust, header and Steve Menegon head, I HAD to up the pressure a bit. Just 3 days ago I went on a 20psi blast, and changed out the Autolite 63's. They look good as new, with just a hint of greying on them. My narrowband Autometer guage at WOT would peg the meter in green on the last two lights. I think my base fuel pressure (with vac line taken off) is 58, I can't exactly remember now.

I dont have an AFPR yet, but i plan on getting one very soon. I just did the Gus Mahon trick to my original FRP, and got it set to 60 PSI static fuel pressure. I also hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and took it for a drive, and i was getting around 70 PSI at 10 LBS boost, which seems perfect. My spark plugs are a little on the white side, but they dont show any signs of detonation.

Marcus86GLHS
03-28-2006, 07:12 AM
WILL kick away sir.....thanks for the lead, looks like those Innovate folks are once again pioneering this stuff.

I did read this in their tech info:

"....NOTE: The digital display in the center is for demo only - the actual Autometer gauge will not have this feature!......"

so, IMO, this conversion misses the single most important aspect of a true wideband: the ability to read, directly, the actual air/fuel ratio in a XX.X format.

their conversion just slows down the oscillations of the autometer's "disco lite" display, which is better, but not true wideband utlity.

for $38 more than this conversion package you can get a true wideband that has a digital XX.X display, thats the way to go.

Will Martin
03-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Actually, they break it down so that each light represents a value of a/f measure. I did my research on this one before I bought it. On the web site, see how is showed each light with the numbers? Well it does that so where the lights show is the actual measure you want. So for my set up, I want the second to last light showing at WOT, which is 11.4:1. When I dyno my car, I'll see how accurate it is. And it does read the a/f ratio in a xx.x format. They sell the gauge on their site http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=170

3Bar_Mopar
03-28-2006, 01:31 PM
My car is basically stock except for the turbo and mine pegs green at heavy throttle. (never been WOT)

Marcus86GLHS
03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
WILL thanks for your info, those guys have all the bases covered....good to see lots of product selection, it is for sure helping to lower prices for wideband devices.

maybe soon narrowband devices will be obsolete.

Will Martin
03-28-2006, 04:00 PM
WILL thanks for your info, those guys have all the bases covered....good to see lots of product selection, it is for sure helping to lower prices for wideband devices.

maybe soon narrowband devices will be obsolete.

Well if you look at the prices of narrow bands; I paid about $130 for mine a while back. Now look at what it cost for a decent wide band $199. Just a couple more bucks for extra (or should I say 'proper') insurance. I agree that you'll see narrow band start to slowly fade away within the next year or two. The prices for narrow band are already around the $50 mark. :amen:

Turbo_Rampage
04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I put the stock Logic module back in my Rampage, and added a full bottle of octane booster to 91 octane gas.. which i always run (the best gas i can buy here) then took it out for a drive and i am lighting up the the second to last LED (.95v) on my A/F gauge at WOT at about 7LBS boost. Which seems perfect right? at about 3/4 throttle and 1-3lbs boost its lighting up the 16th LED (.80v) After taking it for a good run i pulled the #1 and 4 spark plugs, and it looks like its running slightly lean. The insulator is pretty white, and the spark plugs ground straps are a tan colour and the steel part where the insulator goes into is black, the plugs are NGK V-power with about 3500Kms on them. What could be causing my plugs to not darken up? Could i be getting a false reading from my gauge?

I just bought an Auto Meter EGT gauge, but i havent had any time to install it, which i know is a PITA because i have to remove the exhaust manifold to drill and tap a hole.. When i get the EGT gauge installed i will know for sure if its running lean or not..

Turbo_Rampage
04-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if i could run colder plugs like NGK #BR9ES, would this make my plugs darken up? I am pretty sure i am running BR8ES plugs at the moment, but not 100% sure. Heres a pic of the plugs that are currently in my car http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95278 These pics are from when i had a TBI pump instead of a turbo pump! (Stupid auto parts store) The plugs at the moment are a bit darker then those pics, but the insulators are still white. Shouldnt the insulator go a tan colour after a few 100 Km's?