PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Idle, Possibly Linked To Coolant Temp?

Whorse
03-27-2006, 12:30 AM
My idle usually drops to about 900, even when rolling, not staying around 2000 like it should when cruising in neutral. Not too bad, I can deal with it. Now it sometimes drops low, and seems to have trouble finding the right idle speed, and it seems to be related to engine temperatures. I still havent' been able to find out what happened to my fan, so I only have rad cooling at speed (not a problem as the rad works great), but when I slow down it heats up to about half way,and seems to idle differently, and a couple of times has died. I've also noticed that when it runs slightly warmer than normal, but not a lot, that it will sometimes run at about 1900rpm in neutral, but then it goes away.

I'm wondering if the coolant sensor could be causing problems (I have a 180^ Thermostat, which is about 8 months old), or if there's something else going on. No noticeable boost leaks, and I've checked them a few times. Any other suggestions besides fixing my fan, which is proving more work than I thought?

cordes
03-27-2006, 12:36 AM
If you are in neutral, it should idle at around 1K RPMS. My car will struggle to find where it wants to idle from time to time, but it does not bother me.

Whorse
03-27-2006, 12:51 AM
I'd brought this up before wondering why it was revving at 2000 in neutral when I'm moving, and then dropping when I stop. Apparantly that's normal, but my car never did it before I changed some vaccuum lines. I'm just worried that I might be having fuel pump/filter issues that are only noticeable at lower RPMs.