PDA

View Full Version : No more clunk!

chilort
10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I've spent months chasing down a clunk. It has been coming from the front right.

I thought it was the sway bar hitting the body or the LCA since the bushings were shot. I first bought Energy Suspension D style centers (mine has the factory D-style bracket). That didn't fix it. Then after a few months I finally called Johnny (PolyBushings.com) and ordered the correct stuff for my sway bar (Dodge only had two different center bushings and three different end sizes for the '86 CS big sway bar :confused:). That still didn't fix it. I fiddled with it and tried to make sure I had it centered and tried to make sure I had the end pieces all the way out to the end.

I finally had to admit it was likely the strut mount. I read here that the strut mounts could be the issue as a clunk diagnosis and I also heard it from Johnny. So today, after much messing around with spring compressors I finally replaced both strut mounts. The passenger side was totally shot and wallowed out. The driver side was starting to separate.

It was so nice to take it on a test drive and not hear the clunk, clu-clunk, rattle-clunk sound over every bump.

I certainly owe a thanks to the board and to Johnny.

Polygon
10-23-2008, 01:12 AM
I would say that's my problem, but I would say it's only one contributor as all my bushings are shot. Glad you found the problem. So, did your mounts come with the rubber isolator?