PDA

View Full Version : Its getting to be about that time....winter tire question

brummy
10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
It's getting to be that time of year pretty soon.....winter

Who's running what for winter tires/rims?

I found a deal on craigslist for a set of 2001 neon rims with snow tires.

Can anybody confirm whether or not I need spacers? I've read conflicting stories.

rich tideswell
10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Regular Neon rims will not clear SRT-4 brakes on the front. You will, as you said either need a spacer, or start looking for PT Cruiser steelies.

black86glhs
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Ran blizzaks on the wifes saturn, 205/65R15s and they were awesome. Ran the same set for 6 seasons, all 4 wheels. Last season they had dropped off traction wise, but to be expected. They only had 1/3 tread left on them. Still better than non winter tires.
Now bang for the buck used to be the Winterforce tires(Firestones). I had some for my Caprice and they made a big difference.

raccoon
10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Ive got studded uniroyal winter tires. they are sooooo freaking loud. people turn and gock in awe as I drive by.

Mario
10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
The skinnier the better.

I ran 155-80-13's on my truck last winter. Michelin X-ICE's. I thought my quattro could get through some stuff, this thing was unstoppable.

I've also ran the Bridgstone Blizzak WS-50's on an old 5000TQ. That was fun as well.

I'd stay stick to Michelin or Bridgestone. The WS-60's were better than the original X-Ice as far as ice traction goes. But Michelin has came back with a punch with the X-Ice 2. I haven't tested the new X-Ice 2 yet, but I was pretty damn impressed with the originals.

I'd recommend a set of four too...not just the fronts.

Anonymous_User
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I'd recommend a set of four too...not just the fronts.

Was thinking of picking up a pair for the front of the wife's '99 mini this weekend. Elaborate on why you recommend a set of four instead of just the two drive wheels?

bakes
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM
running studded trailcutters on the jeep this year

black86glhs
10-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Was thinking of picking up a pair for the front of the wife's '99 mini this weekend. Elaborate on why you recommend a set of four instead of just the two drive wheels?
They bite better than regular tires(I know, obvious). This can result in the rear or front trying to swap locations at the absolute worst times.

Anonymous_User
10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
They bite better than regular tires(I know, obvious). This can result in the rear or front trying to swap locations at the absolute worst times.

Oh, well, it's just the wife driving. I wouldn't be losing anything real valuable should that happen.

j/k

contraption22
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I had 15" neon "Snowflake" wheels on my SRT-4. They fit... but they were close. How close? When I replaced the brake pads, they no longer fit without 1/8" spacer.

black86glhs
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
LOL!!!! I said the same thing to the wife when we were talking about the tires for hers. I blacked out and had a nice bump on the back of my head. She says I fainted.:confused:

black86glhs
10-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I had 15" neon "Snowflake" wheels on my SRT-4. They fit... but they were close. How close? When I replaced the brake pads, they no longer fit without 1/8" spacer.
No Mike, snow tires....not snowflake wheels. You been drinkin again...lol.:thumb:

Clay
10-21-2008, 10:54 PM
33x10.50x15 BFG MT/KMs of course! ;)

black86glhs
10-21-2008, 11:03 PM
BFG all terrain T/A FTW!

Mario
10-21-2008, 11:17 PM

As a previous member stated, it can create an oversteer or understeer condition which most people panic in a situation like that rather than make corrective manuevers. Generally an oversteer condition is created with snows on the fronts and whatever else on the rear.

33x10.50x15 BFG MT/KMs of course! ;)

How do those actually perform in snow?

BFG all terrain T/A FTW!

Those are a great tire. I have few friends with those on their Jeeps and they always complain of ice traction however.

black86glhs
10-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Those are a great tire. I have few friends with those on their Jeeps and they always complain of ice traction however.
True. But the way I look at it, ice "is" slippery. I always have issues on ice or rather should I say fun.:thumb:

Anonymous_User
10-21-2008, 11:41 PM
BFG At T/A's +10000

Just put a new set on the Ramcharger. For winter tires:

The tread is more pronounced, the rubber doesn't get hard below freezing and they're designed for long, snowy winters. There'll be a snowflake-and-mountain symbol on the sidewall.

The BFG AT T/A's have the snowflake-and-mountain symbol.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/snow_tires.htm

I doubt if they make a BFG AT T/A that would fit the mini.

black86glhs
10-21-2008, 11:43 PM
BFG At T/A's +10000

Just put a new set on the Ramcharger. For winter tires:

The BFG AT T/A's have the snowflake-and-mountain symbol.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/snow_tires.htm

I doubt if they make a BFG AT T/A that would fit the mini.
The only car I can put them on is my Caprice. They look awesome on it though.:evil:

supercrackerbox
10-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Last year I found a set of nearly new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice tires on Craigslist for a song, so I jumped on them and threw them on the Daytona. I've never been a fan of Goodyears, but I absolutely love these. Seemed like every time it snowed last winter it was preceded by rain or sleet, so there was always more ice on the roads than snow. I never got stuck and the car never failed to get me to and from work (30 miles each way), so that alone made it worth every penny.

ATaylorRacing
10-22-2008, 08:50 AM
I used a set of 195/65/15s Winterforce tires on A7 Sport Edition rims for my SRT4. I would have them studded normally, but I did not do that for the Neon since I used it in te past for trips to MI, OH, WI, and IL where studs are illegal.

On the wifes Scion Xb we use that same tire studded in a 185/60/15 size since it's only driven in IN and she drives over 75 miles round trip daily for work.

We use the winter tires at all 4 corners...with just good snows on the front you can get in trouble REAL quick on glare ice. Studded snows on glare ice are almost as good as regular tires in the rain!

Aries_Turbo
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
cheap walmart pacemark snowtrakkers on all corners of the wifes neon. 185/70/14's. they work quite well. come around a corner and rip the e-brake and the car will start to slide but let it off and the back end SNAPS back in. traction is decent.

Brian

slasky
10-25-2008, 08:23 AM
I use cheap hankook snows on my srt and my wife's car. They are unbelievable in the snow. I have gone through 3 winters with the ones on my srt and they hardly show any wear. I am able to get into boost in the snow as well. I think the ones for my srt were $45 each from discounttiredirect.com.

brummy
10-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Slasky, were you using 15" or 17" snow tires on your SRT?

General consensus seems to be that pretty much any dedicated snow/winter tire will do the trick.

slasky
10-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Slasky, were you using 15" or 17" snow tires on your SRT?

General consensus seems to be that pretty much any dedicated snow/winter tire will do the trick.

I was using 15" rims and tires. I see no need to get anything better than what I have. I pass 4WD trucks in the winter time. :)

bfarroo
10-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Winterforce 185 75 r14's for the spirit. Best bang for the buck as others have mentioned. I think I paid 42 each? I was two years ago and there's at least 4 more winters left in them. It's night and day if your use to running radials in the winter. Or you can try these although I don't think they'd last long on pavement! Oh and I've doubled the # of screws per tire since I took the picture. They work really well on the ice.

http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/album01/DSC00467.jpg

Aries_Turbo
10-31-2008, 10:27 PM
you got something slimy on the inside to keep it sealed?

that looks wicked. :)

Brian