PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Rotors

zin
10-20-2008, 03:14 AM
So I was trolling Ebay and came across these. I've never seen rotors with grooves like these, am I just out of touch or is this something new? I expect there is a reason for it, those guys don't spend the mega bucks they do for no good reason (most of the time), and they sure won't do something that might hurt durability...

Thoughts?

Mike

RoadWarrior222
10-20-2008, 06:37 AM
The other types of grooved rotors are supposed to shed water quicker, and keep from clogging the pads with dust etc. I was also hearing that it's less likely to warp the rotors if they're hot, and you're not moving with the brakes on. So I'd figure those are for something similar. Oh, it also lets hot gasses out quicker under hard braking.

zin
10-20-2008, 04:43 PM
I figured the are meant to vent gasses that would otherwise "float" the pads because of out-gassing from the pads, but the shape is nothing I've seen before, they have a very peculiar and deliberate shape. I'm wondering what the advantages are, other than ensuring the average joe can't easily reproduce them...

Mike

Polygon
10-23-2008, 01:15 AM
It's a form of slotting. It will help initial bite but it will chew up pads faster. Also, be wary of eBay rotors. They have a nasty reputation for the hat separating from the disk. That's why they are cheap.

zin
10-23-2008, 02:44 AM
It's a form of slotting. It will help initial bite but it will chew up pads faster. Also, be wary of eBay rotors. They have a nasty reputation for the hat separating from the disk. That's why they are cheap.

Thanks for the insight, I wasn't planning on buying them, but I was curious about the style of the slots, I hadn't seen it before and figured there had to be a good reason for them. I would seem to make sense as NASCAR brakes aren't really used unless there is a pile-up and then they'd need to "bite" right away, but still work when they got hot.

Mike

Clay
10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
they are those 'singh slashes' that help combustion for mad tyte power yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Polygon
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the insight, I wasn't planning on buying them, but I was curious about the style of the slots, I hadn't seen it before and figured there had to be a good reason for them. I would seem to make sense as NASCAR brakes aren't really used unless there is a pile-up and then they'd need to "bite" right away, but still work when they got hot.

Mike

The irony is that NASCAR rotors are blanks. No slotting or cross drilling. :D

zin
10-23-2008, 03:54 PM
The irony is that NASCAR rotors are blanks. No slotting or cross drilling. :D

You wouldn't be suggesting that an eBay seller would possibly lie about where his wares came from, now would you?!:eyebrows:

Mike

Polygon
10-23-2008, 07:22 PM
You wouldn't be suggesting that an eBay seller would possibly lie about where his wares came from, now would you?!:eyebrows:

Mike

Oh, never. :D

I do know that NASCAR sells performance parts on the side. I once bought a set of NASCAR plug wire when I was young and dumb. They were crap. It didn't help that they were paired with a set of Bosch platinums.

RoadWarrior222
10-23-2008, 10:51 PM
It's closer to... NASCAR pimps out their name to whatever unprincipled John, who's (product is too cheap and) too ugly to get loving any other way, pays most.

Polygon
10-23-2008, 11:27 PM
It's closer to... NASCAR pimps out their name to whatever unprincipled John, who's (product is too cheap and) too ugly to get loving any other way, pays most.

Oh yes, good point.

Speedeuphoria
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I actually watched Nascar the other weekend, they deff had slotted rotors. They were not like normal slots or the ones in that pic, but they were deff slotted.