PDA

View Full Version : Seat re-upholstery costs?

ScottD
10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Has anyone done this and what did it cost?

I got an estimate for the seats in my 86 GLHS. The guy is just going to replace the fabric and re-use the original vinyl. The fabric is $75/yd, he says he can get the original fabric. It's about 4 yards of fabric needed so that's $300 there plus $520 for labor.

Is that reasonable?

OMNI-Potent
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, very similar to what I paid to have the GLHT's seats recovered.

Mopar318
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Can you post some pictures of the seats? $75 per yard is inflated, The most I have ever paid was 30 dollars per yard for a cloth. Then of course you pay shipping, and the shop will make a profit on the materials. But not %150 profit. At the old shop, the supplier sent books of vinyl, leather, and fabric every year. You can get a aftermarket cloth to match almost exact.

If you post pictures, I can see how much work needs done, and how much it should cost.

ScottD
10-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks Greg.

I can post pics of the seats but basically the vinyl is fine, I just got done cleaning it. The cloth is what will be replaced. The foam is good too. I am sure the price of the material is inflated but it is supposedly the original cloth.

JDAWG
10-16-2008, 09:28 PM
that just seems high to me. My buddy got his buckets done in his truck teal and white vinyl with white piping and it was like $300 but this was like 8 years ago haha

Mopar318
10-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks Greg.

I can post pics of the seats but basically the vinyl is fine, I just got done cleaning it. The cloth is what will be replaced. The foam is good too. I am sure the price of the material is inflated but it is supposedly the original cloth.

Yeah, but if you post picture I can see how much vinyl, and cloth there is. And see how much work needs done. Otherwise this thread is kinda pointless because you cant give an idea on cost with out seeing them. And being that I do upholstery for a living, I think I can help you out.;)

86Shelby
10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
That is roughly what I was quoted to have the front & rear seat in my GLHS redone several years ago. I was not using the courderoy(sp?) fabric, this was darker grey material, new vinyl, CS logo embroidered in and also bolstering added to the front seats.

ScottD
10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0740.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/scottdrega/HPIM0741.jpg

Mopar318
10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Thats about a full days and half worth of work for buckets, and bench. Labor rate for upholstery at most shops is about $40-60 per hour. I would estimate about 10 hours on those, so that price is fair.

He also most likely added along foam, glue, welt, etc...in the cost of the materials. We never put stuff separate because all it does is confuse people.

ScottD
10-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the response! I was trying to get prices from two places near me but the one would not call me back, so its good to know what I was quoted is reasonable.

Mopar318
10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the response! I was trying to get prices from two places near me but the one would not call me back, so its good to know what I was quoted is reasonable.

If they didnt call you back, then they are probally busy with other things. You make more money on the smaller things as well. Like seat repairs, headliners, carpet, etc.