PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Question?

wreckless123
03-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Can a fuel pump get so weak or ubstructed that it wont put out enough fuel to supply the motor, causing a hesitation under hard acceleration? I currently question my fuel pump because everything else has been replaced and I still have a very slight hesitation. I pulled the plugs today and #1 (far passenger side plug)had just a little white on the electrode. This car is stock, there is no other reason to have a lean condition, is there?

Car is a 86 T1 Turbo Z

Thanks

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, thats quite possible and very common. You could also have a plugged fuel filter. Best way is to buy a fuel guage and tape it to the windshield. At idle, should have 55 psi with the vac line off. Go for a drive, the fuel pressure should go up when you hit boost, 1psi for 1 lb of boost. If it doesn't go up, you have a bad reg or fuel pump. If the pressure doesn't go up, get back home, leave idling and pop the hood. Get some needle nose pliers-pinch off the return line, if the pressure doesn't rise, the pump is junk. If it rises, the reg is junk. This is assuming of course you have a clean fuel filter, :D

wreckless123
03-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestions tomorrow. The fuel filter and FPR have all been replaced in the last week so I am guessing that it will be the pump. I just want to be sure there were no other things it could be before I drop $$$ on a pump..