PDA

View Full Version : Member of the intermediate shaft/oil pump club

1993CobraGT40
03-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Well I couldn't get my 88 Daytona Shelby Z running. I had no spark at all. I checked the timing belt and it is totally trashed. I just got the car a week ago but evidently nobody ever changed a timing belt on it. Numerous missing teeth and frayed all over. I pulled the distributer and tried to move the oil pump with a large screwdriver but it wouldn't budge. The distributor moves freely. I will finish taking the front of the motor off to change the timing belt but my gut tells me the intermediate shaft/oil pump is toast. Anyone else have this scenario? Thanks

Rob

GLHSKEN
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
If the belt is still on, It should not move if any teeth are engaged.

1993CobraGT40
03-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Would you recommend pulling the shaft out when I change the belt? I am new to these motors. Thanks

Rob

Dave
03-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Would you recommend pulling the shaft out when I change the belt? I am new to these motors. Thanks

Rob

Well the thing of it is that it's not the shaft's teeth that just wear out and break, it's the seizing of the oil pump that schears the teeth off both the oil pump and distributor.

Try this: Take the distributor out and crank it over, if the 2 slots in the oil pump drive gear don't move, than you know it's the oil pump that seized up, and yes both need replaced, and yes you need to clean out the motor and possibly change rod bearings.

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2006, 11:44 PM
What Dave says plus If the teeth are gone, your probably looking at a rebuild. The oil pump if seized or damaged could have been starving the bearings, plus all that crap going thru. Even if you do get it running with just a new shaft and pump, I bet it won't last long at all.

1993CobraGT40
03-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Well it looks like I have a job to do tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will update in the morning. Thanks. Rob