PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Spoiler rattling like mad

Turbo3Iroc
10-15-2008, 01:38 AM
My spoiler has been getting worse and rattling, doesn't even take a bump now since I have had the Konis in it. Anyway I tried tightening up one of the caps on it and snapped the stud off. It really didn't take much. So what have you guys done to be able to clamp that rear spoiler back down on a Daytona.

rich tideswell
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
When I added the spoiler to my 88 daytona, I too broke the studs. So what I did was remove all of them, drill out the broken part in the spoiler, and filled the holes with epoxy (JB Weld) While it was curing I ran sheet metal screws in it to create threads, then backed them out. Let the spoiler cure and put it on the car a few days later.

I suppose you could do something simliar if you wanted to retain the stud, just use stainless hardware.

Lotashelbys
10-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Kelly
I will have to get you a pic of what I do to all my spoilers. I get 1/4-20 allen set screw thats about 1.5" long and drill and tap the spoiler and epoxy the set screw in. Them I use S/S 1/4" washers and nylock nut to hold it down. This not only works awesome but looks cool as well:thumb:

Turbo3Iroc
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
When I added the spoiler to my 88 daytona, I too broke the studs. So what I did was remove all of them, drill out the broken part in the spoiler, and filled the holes with epoxy (JB Weld) While it was curing I ran sheet metal screws in it to create threads, then backed them out. Let the spoiler cure and put it on the car a few days later.

I suppose you could do something simliar if you wanted to retain the stud, just use stainless hardware.

Some years ago a local guy had issues uing JB weld on the spoiler holes. Maybe your method is a bit easier on it Rich.

Kelly
I will have to get you a pic of what I do to all my spoilers. I get 1/4-20 allen set screw thats about 1.5" long and drill and tap the spoiler and epoxy the set screw in. Them I use S/S 1/4" washers and nylock nut to hold it down. This not only works awesome but looks cool as well:thumb:

What epoxy do you use?

bfarroo
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I usually go to menards/home depot and they have anchors in the hardware section that have course threads on one side and fine on the other. You can screw the course threads into the spoiler, install it on the car, and put a cap nut on the other side. I've done this with every daytona I've owned when I take it apart for paint as I usually bust a few off in the process of disassembly.

Lotashelbys
10-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Some years ago a local guy had issues uing JB weld on the spoiler holes. Maybe your method is a bit easier on it Rich.

What epoxy do you use?

It was something that was clear and was made for fiberglass. I ran out one day and used superglue and that has not failed yet....

rich tideswell
10-15-2008, 10:41 PM

This was something I did over 10 years ago, and I sold the car about 3 years later. I'm not 100% sure in the epoxy I used, I just rember it was greyish black so I'm assuming it was the JB Weld. Theres all kinds of fiberglass and plastic specific stuff out there.

Jackson, I thought the hardware was metric?......

Turbo3Iroc
10-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok, I'll look around for something that works with fiberglass.

Turbo3Iroc
10-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Well I ended up doing a combination of ideas. Pretty much because that's all I could find. I found some of the coarse thread studs Benji mentioned, stainless washers and nylock nuts. Also found some Loctite brand epoxy.

The one stud I broke off the other day was a real bastard to remove. I drilled it and the easy out broke the stud off deeper. I ended up having to drill small holes around it and use needle nose pliers to remove it. I ended up just filling that hole with the epoxy but in hindsight I probably should have set my stud in there. Even with the 3 holding it, it does not move around at all.

I took it down the drive and back and I still hear that rattle back there. I assumed it was the spoiler since it was loose but even with it removed it still rattled. I can not seem to locate it.

rich tideswell
10-20-2008, 07:52 AM
The one stud I broke off the other day was a real bastard to remove. I drilled it and the easy out broke the stud off deeper. I ended up having to drill small holes around it and use needle nose pliers to remove it. I ended up just filling that hole with the epoxy .

Ha! ........ Brings back memories....... I forgot about having to drill around and back fill until now.