PDA

View Full Version : '05-'06 Stratus R/T sedan ???

kensz
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I am considering a '05-'06 Stratus 4 door R/T to replace my slowly dying '95 Grand Prix next spring. Just wondering if anyone here has one or has experience with them. I know the R/T's came with the autostick trannies and I am curious how dependable or undependable they may be. In a perfect
world they would have come with a real manual. Are there any other problems that the 2nd gen clouds have had that might be inportant to know?

On a lighter note, I know they made some Orange Burst R/T's in '05 because I test drove one. Are there any production numbers available or does anyone know where to go to find some. In the '06 sales brochure there is a small picture of a Silver R/T (replaced Orange Burst in '06) but, I have never seen a silver '06 in all my searching either when they were new or now on the used car market. Did they actually build silver '06's or was that a misprint in the brochure.

89boostedminivan
10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
i had a 06 2.4 not R/t, best place is hed over to 2gss.org there big with 2g strats and sebrings, with that being said i didnt have any issues with mine, had it for a lil over a year and no issues but i bought it brand new also, ive had a 05 intrepid which had the 2.7 same as the R/t and no issues with that thing either,overall there pretty reliable cars/motors IMO, as long as you arent getting one with 150k+ on it and dont know how well its been treated, i was spraying a 75 wet shot on mine and still never had a issue,loL! one thing about the 06 R/t was i loved there wing they used and actually tried getting one for mine but couldnt find one used, so i got the one in the pic which was as close to the stock R/T as i could find
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/supergenesis/eddies%20car%20shiznat/phone016.jpg

TurboRon25
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
If you want to back to like 02ish, they offered 2.7 5spd.

On a 2.7L make sure they changed the oil.

Ron

89boostedminivan
10-14-2008, 01:54 PM
i think the trannies were all the same autostick or not, mine was a base auto but i ended up converting it to autostick just by getting the different stick and a lil bit of rewiring and a cluster out of a sebring, as for the colors im not sure , ive only seen the orange and a black one, ive seen more orange ones though, i dont think they made many R/t's period in 06 as it was the last year for the strat's

kensz
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
It's good to hear that they seem to be reliable. If I can find a decent one with lower miles I will probably go with an extended warranty just because I will have it for quite a few years. As far as the colors go for the '06's I have only seen red and black. I would prefer the Orange Blast '05 just because I thought it looked great , especially on the sun.

Thanks for the 2gss tip, I have been there looking for information also. I know there used to be a member there that went by the username RTMike that I think actually worked at the plant that built the strats. However it does not seem like he's been there for a while. I figured if anyone knew if they built silver R/T's it would be him.

It's funny you mention the wing on the '05's and '06's because I was never crazy about them, I prefer the lip spoiler they had on the Sebring Tsi. It would have looked good on your Strat though but, I would probably keep mine mostly stock except I would probably go with no spolier, Tsi lip or a regular wing and some tint. I really like the blacked out SRT wheels on yours.

JDAWG
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
They were decent cars. Completley mitsubishi, same thing as an eclipse, different bodypanels. The 3.0 with a 5spd hauls ---. Not too much trouble out of them but parts can be expensive being a mitsu.

TurboRon25
10-14-2008, 05:54 PM
They were decent cars. Completley mitsubishi, same thing as an eclipse, different bodypanels. The 3.0 with a 5spd hauls ---. Not too much trouble out of them but parts can be expensive being a mitsu.

Coupes were Mitsubishi. 3.0 etc.
Sedans were all Mopar. 2.7 etc, different chassis (shared with the convertible)

Ron

JDAWG
10-14-2008, 07:00 PM
oh you right, i seen r/t and assumed 2dr, missed that part

Vigo
10-14-2008, 09:21 PM
i would like one of the sedan 5-spd r/ts but they're still going for too much for me to really think about it.

Good like finding an orange one. I have never in my life seen one in that color.

kensz
10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I drove a 5-speed in '03 but I think they dropped the manual mid year '04 when the did the mid cycle refresh. If it were not for that fact I probably would have ended up with that '05 Orange Blast. Back then it was the wifes choice for a new car and she had to have a real manual.

fleckster
10-15-2008, 01:19 AM
The 5 speed manual in them is the T-850 that was also used in the SRT-4 Neons. They handle very nicely and they have cool wheels! (factory 5 x 100mm 17" x 7" wide!!! --- I have a set on my LeBaron.)

89boostedminivan
10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
they stopped with the 5spds in 2000 with the sedans, the 2.0 and 2.5 i believe had the optional 5spds, 01-06 they started doing autostick and motors were 2.4 and 2.7. i could be wrong though. ive seen a few of those orange r/t's not many but they are the main color i see for the 06 r/t sedans when i do see them. you can always try and hunt down the r/t released in mexico, they were turbo 2.4 :eyebrows:

Vigo
10-16-2008, 05:16 PM
goodness...

from 95-00 you couldnt get a 5spd with the 2.5 v6. many many people out there are still sad about this, myself included, because 5spd swaps on those cars are fairly complicated because of this.

you could definitely get a t-350 with the 2.0, had one, but not sure about the 2.4..

from 01 on, i cant recall having ever seen a stratus sedan with a manual, but i know for certain you could get the 2.7/t850 combo in r/t sedans and in some sebring GTC convertibles. little known and little bought, and long since been dropped. They are out there, though.

TurboRon25
10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
you could definitely get a t-350 with the 2.0, had one, but not sure about the 2.4..

No 2.4 / 5 spd (95-00) in the US. I tried to order one new and they wouldn't let me.

Ron

Vigo
10-17-2008, 09:17 PM
also, for those who dont know, autostick is just a manual shift feature on the 604 and some other trannies. The transmissions themselves are the exact same, all autostick does is tell the auto tranny to upshift or downshift. Most of the time the same rev limits are in place and there are a lot of things it WONT let you do so its of dubious usefulness. I had an autostick conversion on my intrepid and i enjoyed it but im not sure if id go to the effort again. its all electronic and cant be retrofitted to our 3spds. someone might ask :confused2:

89boostedminivan
10-18-2008, 10:45 AM
yeah my 06 wasnt autostick but i converted it, wasnt to hard to do

Aries_Turbo
10-18-2008, 10:48 AM
with the T850 cars you can use the SRT-4's Quaife in the trans. you could bolt up a 3.5L as well iirc.

Brian

Vigo
10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
or a 3.3/3.8

i actually had a line on a t850 setup for my 3.3 dynasty but the guy dropped out.

I still have a 3.5 motor and the dynasty sitting around and id love to attempt it, but t850s are pretty pricey compared to most stuff i buy for my cars.