PDA

View Full Version : early 2.0 DOHC valvetrain

Austrian Dodge
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
couple of questions that bug me since i started to gather some parts for my "the next 2 years hybrid project" :D
this motor has to survive in roadracing conditions + a lot of autobahn driving

i purchased a head with everything except cams+gears, but i want to replace the lifters, rockers, valves, springs, guides and retainers.

i found a partnumber for MP lifters...1-P5007440
are those the right lifters that withstand high rpm's?

which rockers should i get? i think the one that came with the head have 150k miles on them, they don't look bad, but i want to build this right the first time ;)
i read something about going with 2.7l rockers?

as for the valves, springs and retainers...i'll probably go with +1mm oversized SS valves from crower + crower springs and titanium retainers.
prices aren't that bad compared to most european car brands valve train stuff

were to get the valve guides?

still haven't decided on cams yet, but i think i'll start with a 2.0 set and see how they perform...

i think i'll make a project log once i have a couple of parts and start with fabricating stuff...turboshad inspired me somehow :thumb::hail:

any input is much appreciated

2.216VTurbo
10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
I read that twice Andy and I still don't know what motor you are building:confused2: A 2.0 liter with a 16V head or a 2.2 hybrid with a 2.0 head? I know a few of those Hans Herman heads have surfaced lately and I wouldn't put it past you;) Funny coincidence is, I'm building a 16V (Masi of course:lol:) 2.0 Liter motor this winter:evil: I am gonna go your route on this one and throw all the high $$$ parts at it:eyebrows: Doubtfull it will be ready for the Team Shelby 86th Bday event in January but it would be nice if it were...

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Valve guides, any parts store or machine shop.

I seem to remember some kind of TSB on the rocker arms, I think if you go SRT4 ones, you'll be fine. I can check the part number on the lifters as I have the MP book at work and I think I used those for my 8 valve engine.

Austrian Dodge
10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
honestly i've given up on having a masi head powered TM, because you SoCal guys (or should i say ALAN!!) keep buying masi heads like groceries! don't you have enough sometime? :lol::D
you putting a 2.0l in the rampage..??

but hey tell more about mr hans...were's his head LOL :)

nah, it's going to be a '92 2.2/2.5 block (the orig. block out of my black '92 2.5 TI) built as a 2.2 16V hybrid with that 2.0 dohc neon head...
that thing has to feel well in the upper rpm's cause it's gonna be there for a while :thumb:

simon, "any parts store or machine shop" doesn't apply to overseas ;)
i'd pay a fortune just because it's no VW/Audi, BMW or some other german make...
but basically it's like going to napa or autozone for you guys and buying valve guides? i like that, how much are they? :thumb:
MP book sounds awesome, lmk please

Speedeuphoria
10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
get the "PT" lifters, they are the only ones they sell now, the 1st gen neons had slightly different ones.

For rockers, the 2.0 can be weak for some with high rpms, the 2.7 V6 are what I'm using;
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=277002&highlight=

retainers are specific to the valves(slightly different angles between single groove and triple groove), as the 1st gen has single groove valves/keepers and the srt4 has triple groove valves/keepers. Single groove are recommended for performance applications

2.216VTurbo
10-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Where do I keep getting the rep that I buy all the Masi stuff?:confused: I have three TM's and three Masi motors. Sheesh:thumb: I've TRIED to buy like 5 more (one at a time) but the deal always seems to fall apart:(

Not for the Rampage, it needs a torque motor for towing etc. This will be for the S car:) Short stroke and low compression = poochy till 5K or so. Between 6500 and 8500 it should wake up nicely:eyebrows: I'll swap this one into the S and the current Masi motor will go to the 'Page:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2008, 12:56 AM
According to the that link, the part number you have is the updated ones.

If you need any of this stuff, PM me as usual, :thumb:

Austrian Dodge
10-14-2008, 02:00 AM
simon, it has to wait a bit...need to spend money somewere else :) but i'll let you know for sure!

2.2 block with that destroke 2.0 crank? were the heck did you get that again dude? ;)

anyways, thanks very much for the info guys!

2.216VTurbo
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
simon, it has to wait a bit...need to spend money somewere else :) but i'll let you know for sure!

2.2 block with that destroke 2.0 crank? were the heck did you get that again dude? ;)

anyways, thanks very much for the info guys!

There are a few more brand new ones for sale, I'll PM you the info:eyebrows: