PDA

View Full Version : TBI Header Build

1BADVAN
10-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, i just got the TBI header from a junk yard and i was wondering if anyone has a link or some pics on how to exactly built the turbo header?
I was wondering mostly on where to cut it and at what angle? Thanks!!
I have a turbo van for those who want to know

turbovanmanČ
10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
You cut it off right at the existing flange, then have your turbo flange welded on. Each application is unique so you need to mock it up, then get it welded.

1BADVAN
10-10-2008, 05:22 PM
You cut it off right at the existing flange, then have your turbo flange welded on. Each application is unique so you need to mock it up, then get it welded.

do you have one on your van? or did you before you went tIII?

turbovanmanČ
10-10-2008, 07:46 PM
No, I used the stocker then switched to a log style.

Speedeuphoria
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
maybe ask this guy:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30554

I know he has made 100+ normal mani's and said the angle is critical, even then fitment is not perfect

moparzrule
11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a TBI header already welded up, with a 2.5'' swingvalve thats been modded, for sale if you want it-
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f28/202449-hi-po-parts-sale-all-have.html

Anonymous_User
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Royal PITA!!

Get the TBI mani bolted on your engine with the engine/tranny sitting on the garage floor.

Cut off the factory flange and hold your turbo up there to see what angle you will need to clear everything - including the tranny!

Then you'll need to fab your own downpipe or modify the swingvalve. Don't forget you'll need to put an oil return in the pan.

When I built one I didn't have the tranny bolted up when I mocked it up. Ended up interfering and I had to 'modify' the tranny!

FWIW, I'd run a stock ported.

JuXsA
11-04-2008, 12:20 PM
either do a ported stocker or use the money spent modding a tbi header and get one of TUs manifolds

shadow88
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Royal PITA!!

Get the TBI mani bolted on your engine with the engine/tranny sitting on the garage floor.

Cut off the factory flange and hold your turbo up there to see what angle you will need to clear everything - including the tranny!

Then you'll need to fab your own downpipe or modify the swingvalve. Don't forget you'll need to put an oil return in the pan.

When I built one I didn't have the tranny bolted up when I mocked it up. Ended up interfering and I had to 'modify' the tranny!

FWIW, I'd run a stock ported.

I'd bolt up the tbi header to the head and drop it onto the block and tranny in the car. Firewall clearance is tight.

I don't understand how you had trans clearance issues....linkage clearance maybe?

Downpipe is really just shortening - any exhaust shop can do that. Agreed to mock-up the oil drain while on the car. Axle clearance. And the oil feed line and coolant return line need to be lengthened.

But all said, for $100, it looks like moparzrule has a tough to beat deal if everything clears and lines up.

Anon- you have a PM