PDA

View Full Version : parking brake cable floor passthrough

iangoround
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi All. I'm fixing the floors on my C/S, and of course the whole area around the parking brake cable is basically gone. The rubber grommet-esque thing that was there is too beat up to reuse, so I'm looking at alternative options.

How would just drilling a hole and using a regular ol generic rubber grommet work? Since I have to re-do the thing anyway, I should be able to just drill a hole more or less right below the parking brake pedal and not worry about having to keep that angle that the original piece had.

Thoughts?

raccoon
10-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I just drilled a hole and used seam sealer around it. but a grommit is a good idea, maybe see what you can snag at the junkyard from some newer cars.

iangoround
10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I thought about seam sealer, but I want to be able to R&R the cable if I need to without having to tear the carpet up and cut it out of the seam sealer and then reapply.

RoadWarrior222
10-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I'd be tempted to weld in a bit of steel tube a little bigger than the outer, at an angle, maybe mounted on a patch plate, whatever's easy. Then run the cable through it, and fill up with latex foam to seal.

Tony Hanna
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
@RoadWarrior222: That's exactly what I did. Worked great!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetqi9w/

Here are some floorboard repair pics of the same area on the Sundance. What I did was to cut a rectangular hole and pass a piece of box tube through it at an angle. The box tube was then welded to the floor and cut off flush on top but left hanging through a little on the bottom. Once the cable was routed through, I packed the box tube full of roof cement to seal it, then painted the roof cement to keep it from sticking to the carpet.