PDA

View Full Version : Boost cutout when hitting 2-5 psi (NOW WITH VIDEO!)

RJ138
03-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I just got done replacing the water pump, HEP, spark plugs (.35 gap) and some brake stuff on my 89 Voyager. I retimed the engine according to thedodgegarage.com instructions. The van idles really good but when I drive it and hit a little boost (2-5 psi) it feels like it is hitting a boost cutout. It makes kind of a pffft noise....

I checked the distributer timing, but I can't keep the van running with the coolant temp sensor removed. So I kept throttling it and the timing mark on the flywheel would hover around 12 degrees.

So what could it be? I ran the codes and this is what I got...
12- battery recently disconected (this one is nothing)
12- MAP sensor (I don't have a baro solenoid, thats probably why I show this code)
22- Coolant Temp Sensor failure ( is this from removing it to time the engine?)
33- AC relay (no AC so okay there)
36- Wastegate control solenoid circuit is open or shorted (possibly this one? I have a boost controller on the van but it is set at stock right now )

Thanks in advance,
Ryan Johnson

RJ138
03-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Okay we checked the plugs tonight after a couple runs around the block (they were brand new installed today) and all four had white on them? I am guessing this is a lean condition and since it happened on all cylinders that it has to be a fuel filter or fuel pump. The van has a newer FPR on it and it doesnt appear to be leaking or anything so that should be good.

Could this be my problem? Van not getting enough fuel even at low boost so the computer is cutting it out?

Another thing we are looking at is the BOV. It seems to open really easy, with just small blips of the throttle in park (maybe revs from 2500 to 3000 rpm). Could this cause a lean condition in anyway?

Thanks,
Ryan Johnson

RJ138
03-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Here is a video of whats happening (sorry for the strange view).

http://media.putfile.com/Turbo-Van-Noise

Thanks,
Ryan

looneytuner
03-25-2006, 07:45 PM
feels like it is hitting a boost cutout. repost with this as title.

3Bar_Mopar
03-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a MAP sensor problem... and the codes also indicate that.

Check the lines to the MAP and run a DEDICATED line from the intake manifold to the MAP sensor with a new vac hose. If that don't work, swap in a different MAP sensor or check the plug to the sensor.

Also....why exactly do you NOT have a baro solenoid? :confused: That could also be your problem!

RJ138
03-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Sounds like a MAP sensor problem... and the codes also indicate that.

Check the lines to the MAP and run a DEDICATED line from the intake manifold to the MAP sensor with a new vac hose. If that don't work, swap in a different MAP sensor or check the plug to the sensor.

Also....why exactly do you NOT have a baro solenoid? :confused: That could also be your problem!

The baro solinoid hasn't been on the van since I bought it. I have no idea why it isnt there? It ran fine for a year without it.

We swapped MAP sensors last night with the same results. I will replace the vac line to it and give it it's own vac source.

Someone said it might be a broken wastegate? I just dont have any to swap it out with at the moment, could this also be the cause? Or how about a bad BOV?

Thanks for the responses!
Ryan Johnson

Dave
03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Try the TPS sensor. The MAP and TPS run off the same signal.

Could be timing... have you had the belts off recently? Possibly worn belt, could've jumped teeth?

RJ138
03-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Try the TPS sensor. The MAP and TPS run off the same signal.

Could be timing... have you had the belts off recently? Possibly worn belt, could've jumped teeth?

I have done the timing multiple times this weekend... It is very possible that it is jumping a tooth... Would that cause the boost issue?

What should I check on the TPS sensor?

Thanks!
Ryan Johnson

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Doesn't sound like Boost cut out, sounds like Map or Tps issue.

12- battery recently disconected (this one is nothing)-NORMAL

12- MAP sensor (I don't have a baro solenoid, thats probably why I show this code)-THIS WILL GIVE YOU WHAT YOUR VIDEO SOUNDS LIKE

22- Coolant Temp Sensor failure ( is this from removing it to time the engine?)-YEP, WHEN SENSOR UNPLUGGED TO SET TIMING.

33- AC relay (no AC so okay there)-IGNORE

36- Wastegate control solenoid circuit is open or shorted (possibly this one? I have a boost controller on the van but it is set at stock right now )-PLUG CONNECTOR BACK ONTO SOLENOID, THIS KEEPS THE LIGHT OFF.

MoparN75
03-26-2006, 10:25 AM
i don't know all you've recently done to your van...but from my experience if it ran well before you worked on it then chances are you didn't put it back the way it was. So before you try replacing things you didn't touch...walk back through everything you've done between the time it last ran good and the latest work you've done. You'll probily find it...and you'll be kickin yourself. Been there...done that.

MoparN75
03-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Ryan,
I reread your post and saw this "I can't keep the van running with the coolant temp sensor removed." Do you have the vacuum line sticker under the hood still? Check to see if you/ve got it right. There is a vacuum diagram on the dodgegarage site if you need one. Good luck.

RJ138
03-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Ryan,
I reread your post and saw this "I can't keep the van running with the coolant temp sensor removed." Do you have the vacuum line sticker under the hood still? Check to see if you/ve got it right. There is a vacuum diagram on the dodgegarage site if you need one. Good luck.

The vac set-up on the van is far from being in the stock configuration. It has been simplified, its just FPR, MAP, BOV, and Boost gauge. The the nipple on the turbo goes to a boost controller which goes to the wastegate. We checked all the vac lines and they all looked good.

-Ryan

RJ138
03-26-2006, 02:06 PM
i don't know all you've recently done to your van...but from my experience if it ran well before you worked on it then chances are you didn't put it back the way it was. So before you try replacing things you didn't touch...walk back through everything you've done between the time it last ran good and the latest work you've done. You'll probily find it...and you'll be kickin yourself. Been there...done that.

I did the water pump, brakes, HEP, and timing.

I have checked and rechecked the timing so many times this weekend and last weekend its ridiculous. Thats really all I thought it could be since I really didn't touch anything else. Could the cam timing cause a problem like this? Maybe I should adjust a tooth one way see how runs, if it runs bad adjust it a tooth back the other way?

I should also mention its slow and the turbo spools really early with little throttle, but you can't feel any extra power from it.

Thanks,
Ryan Johnson

RJ138
03-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Unfortunatly the van will have to sit on the back burner until next weekend. I really appreciate everyones comments and keep them coming!:thumb:

Thanks everyone!
Ryan Johnson

SwiftTech
03-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Have you double checked your grounds? especially the one at the fuel rail. When I bought my daytona the guy said it was overboosting like crazy, he had tried everything he could think of to fix it, new wg actuator, double checked lines, the whole nine yards. He couldn't fix it and ended up knocking $300 bucks off the purchase price. The next day at work I spent 10min fixing the loose bolt holding the ground wire at the fuel rail.

RJ138
03-30-2006, 02:58 AM
Have you double checked your grounds? especially the one at the fuel rail. When I bought my daytona the guy said it was overboosting like crazy, he had tried everything he could think of to fix it, new wg actuator, double checked lines, the whole nine yards. He couldn't fix it and ended up knocking $300 bucks off the purchase price. The next day at work I spent 10min fixing the loose bolt holding the ground wire at the fuel rail.

I will take a look at it, all this happened after I redid the timing, changed the water pump, a new HEP, and a master cylinder. So it is possible that I could have bumped something loose over there. I am really thinking its the timing, but it looks dead on? I am going to put a new belt on it, maybe the one on the van new is stretched? The belt does have cracks in it and looks pretty aged... I really really need to get this van fixed soon here. So I appreciate everyones comments and will check everything that has been mentioned in this thread.:thumb:

Thanks everyone!
Ryan Johnson