PDA

View Full Version : Sandblaster suggestions?

cellar dweller
03-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Decided on this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38440.

I've checked a couple manuals for blasters and none is helpful with:
1. Size of nozzles for various abrasives
2. What abrasive is best for different applications

Aluminum wheels? Steel wheels? Brake and suspension parts? Engine parts? Sheet metal? Do 80-grit glass beads work for all? Is aluminum oxide preferred for certain applications? How about actual sand?

I have 4 pumpers and 4 swisscheese that basically just need clearcoat removed (will be painted or powdercoated)...4 snowflakes that have scratches + clearcoat...disk brake rotors, assorted brackets, swingvalve, turbo housings (will be disassembled first!) with surface rust, 4 steelies that need paint stripped, etc.

Turbodave
03-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I just started using my cabinet a few weeks ago and have been happy with the glass bead so far. I'm not sure what grit it is, but was able to get it in a 55lb bag from Carquest for a better price than harbor freight. It doesn't cut through rust as well as aluminum oxide or sand, but the finished product ends up looking nicer, much less pitting than with some of the coarser materials. Not much dust in the cabinet either, haven't even needed to hook up the vacuum. I haven't tried a wheel yet, but I have a set of Crab wheels I want to do soon.

bobr19
03-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Ground up wal-nut shells works wonders on aluminum--bobr19

BadAssPerformance
03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I have 4 pumpers and 4 swisscheese that basically just need clearcoat removed ...

Paint stripper rules for taking clear coat off wheels :thumb:

johnl
03-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Well - here is everything I know about it.

100 pound bags of sandblasting sand - the kind painters use to strip paint off of houses is $5/bag around here. It works fine for cast iron parts BUT it is less durable. It has iron in it and that is a problem if you want to blast anything other than iron or steel because it leaves iron oxide residue in the surface. If you use it on aluminum, for example, the aluminum cannot appear really bright - the imbedded rust gives it slightly dirty look.

Also, the sand shatters on impact, basically it loses its cutting ability quickly and it turns into silicon dust. Silicosis is a lung disease than can result from prolonged exposure, so OSHA has a problem with plain sand in sand blasting cabinets.

Glass beads last longer, the grit stays sharper, and they make less dust. Walnut shells are great for softer materials.\

Air pressure is important for the longevity of your media - too high and it will shatter; just right and it will last a long time.

My favorite combo for sand cast aluminum, not die cast aluminum, is to glass bead followed by shot peen. The glass beads open the surface to virgin
metal and then the shot peens burnish and close all the torn open "pores" that would other wise hold oil and dirt. The surface remains bright and clean - better than new - for a very long time before it oxidizes again.

cellar dweller
03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Paint stripper rules for taking clear coat off wheels

I'm trying to keep what remains of my brain intact :yuck: by cutting down on noxious fumes when possible. Stripper wouldn't help with existing oxidation where the clearcoat has been compromised (yeah, I shoulda mentioned that before).

is to glass bead followed by shot peen. Steel shot, like #9? Use the biggest nozzle and pretty high PSI? I have #9 lead shot but I don't think that is a good substitute :p

Ground up wal-nut shells works wonders on aluminum I have unused ground walnut and ground corncob from my case tumbler, about a buck a pound.

Sounds like "real" sand and aluminum oxide are out; glass, walnuts and steel shot are in, which just leaves the question of which nozzle to use...

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm trying to keep what remains of my brain intact :yuck: by cutting down on noxious fumes when possible. Stripper wouldn't help with existing oxidation where the clearcoat has been compromised (yeah, I shoulda mentioned that before).

gotcha...

Diabloed
03-26-2006, 01:59 AM
I remember seeing a Eastwood catalog that has a chart for the different media and what it's best used for. if you have one laying around take a look, if not order one.

every car guy should have a Eastwood catalog, if nothing else it's something to drool over.