PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cleaning/flush

bfarroo
10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Anyone have any good cleaning methods to clean a radiator. I installed a Spirit R/T radiator in my 89 spirit and it's been running hot. I drained the system and ran water through the radiator and it seems to be flowing evenly through the core as best as I can see in the filler neck but there is some buildup inside the radiator that I can see. I picked up some radiator flush stuff and followed the directions on the back. It may have cleaned it a little but it's still nowhere's near clean. Any other tricks to get the buildup off the tubes inside the radiator? I think the flow is fine the buildup is just hampering the transfer of heat.

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Vinegar, coke, CLR, anything acidic, start weak, leave it a good while.

black86glhs
10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
CLR does a good job. Only way to completely clean it is have a rad shop rot it out.

GLHNSLHT2
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
only problem with CLR is it cleaned the rust out of my block and put it in my radiator.

black86glhs
10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
That is why you take the radiator out.:thumb:

minigts
10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Best process detailed? I'd like to know the best step-by-step way to do it effectively as well. :D

fishcleaner
10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't forget to flush out the heater core too. I back flush it gently so not to promote any leaks. CLR is good stuff.

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I'd take it out, lay it flat, in the sun and fill it up with whatever I was using, leave it all day baking in the sun and rinse it out both ways.

Clay
10-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I use stuff from work called Rydlyme. Its basically the same as CLR but industrial strength, so I cut it 50/50 with water. Fill the rad, let it sit for a few minutes and flush. I wouldnt put it in the engine unless you have a way to circulate it and filter it.

RoadWarrior222
10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
If you can get Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid from the hardware store, that stuff diluted will eat through limescale quick, but use gloves and good ventilation etc.

Diluting any of these strong acidic compounds, add to water, don't add water to an acid, can make it boil and spit. Keep a box of baking soda handy to neutralise any spills.

minigts
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
How do you flush the system? I mean, I can't remove everything and just throw CLR in the block and hope it breaks down. I need to slush it around. Isn't there something that allows you to run your car, cooling system in tact and everything, break all the junk down and then just drain the system? What century are we in?

black86glhs
10-08-2008, 02:12 AM
How do you flush the system? I mean, I can't remove everything and just throw CLR in the block and hope it breaks down. I need to slush it around. Isn't there something that allows you to run your car, cooling system in tact and everything, break all the junk down and then just drain the system? What century are we in?
The problem you run into is it attacking the metal you don't want it to. I do not believe there is anything that can remove the really hard scale that you can buy. You could try and make some stuff(I'm not a chemist), but might damage something else. There was an acid type stuff I used to get thru GM. It was an acid and neutralizer. Not sure if it would be strong enough or if it is even still available.

Tony Hanna
10-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Disclamer: This may be harmful to seals, gaskets, your block, your head, your heater core, etc... So don't do it!

That said, here's my method for cleaning a cooling system:

Completely drain the antifreeze and flush the system thoroughly (as in nothing but water in the entire cooling system). Remove the thermostat and reinstall the housing and upper radiator hose. Disconnect the hose from the recovery tank and route another hose to a suitable catch can. Close the drain and fill the system 1/2 full with water. Add 1 bottle of "The Works" brand drain cleaner and finish filling with water. Install the radiator cap on the first notch (1/2 tight). Start the engine and allow it to idle for 1/2 to 1 hour. Depending on how severe the deposits are, it may take more or less time, or more than one treatment.

Once you're done, drain the system and completely flush with water again. Refill the system with pure water, a couple tablespoons of baking soda, and go for a nice long drive. Finally, drain and flush with water again, and refill with your preferred coolant/water mix.

I've used this method several times and it's worked for me without fail. The only downside is that it will find weak links in your cooling system, so if you have a heater core that's iffy, you may want to unhook it and loop the hoses during the flushing process.

Tony

minigts
10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Tony Hanna Montana! :) Just kidding. But that is what I personally wanted to know as far as a process is concerned. It's great to be able to clean out JUST the radiator or try to break down some of the rust in JUST the block, but being able to do both effectively is very important.

How often is this necessary?

RoadWarrior222
10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
As often as you keep using tap water to fill it :D

Tony Hanna
10-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks Tony Hanna Montana! :) Just kidding. But that is what I personally wanted to know as far as a process is concerned. It's great to be able to clean out JUST the radiator or try to break down some of the rust in JUST the block, but being able to do both effectively is very important.

How often is this necessary?

:lol:

The honest answer is I just don't know.:o I started using this method when I was younger and trading cars pretty often, so I never really kept one long enough to need a second flushing. I've been fortunate in that the cars I've owned recently and kept for an extended length of time have been in pretty good shape with regard to the cooling system.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would vary from one to the next depending on what's leftover from the first flush, minerals in the water used to mix with the antifreeze, How often the coolant is changed, etc.

minigts
10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Is there any concern about what The Works can or will do to hoses? I'm ok with replacing thread tape and what not, but do I need to be worried about damaging the hoses?

gkcooper
10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
I drain my entire system and replace all the water/glycol mixture with pure white distilled vinegar. It has the same specific heat value as distilled water and cools just as well. I actually left the vinegar in my truck for two days, using as normal. I then remove the thermostat and flush both ways. You will have have toasty heat again and even heat across the radiator. I captured all the garbage when I flushed my Dakota. There was a lot of small metallic particles, sand, and calcified debris. I have also pulled a radiator, layed it out flat and filled it with CLR with OK results. But I prefer flushing the entire system together with vinegar.

Make sure you fill it with DISTILLED water and quality anti-freeze mixture.

RoadWarrior222
10-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Only about as worried as you need be about it eating your flesh to steaming stumps of pitted bone if you use rubber gloves to handle it.

Tony Hanna
10-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Is there any concern about what The Works can or will do to hoses? I'm ok with replacing thread tape and what not, but do I need to be worried about damaging the hoses?

Only about as worried as you need be about it eating your flesh to steaming stumps of pitted bone if you use rubber gloves to handle it.

Lol. The way I see it, the stuff is designed for cleaning drains, and if it won't eat those Fernco couplers, then the hoses should be fine. Personally, I've never noticed any problems from it attacking the hoses.

raccoon
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I live in the middle of no where and Let me tell you, without CLR I couldn't do it, my hard water would just be the final straw.

tryingbe
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
2nd flush after pulling CLR into the radiator, outside the car.

http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/forsale/deposits1.jpg
http://www.thelostartof.net/tryingbe/forsale/deposits2.jpg

bfarroo
10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I flushed the radiator this weekend. I ended up pulling the radiator and setting it on the floor and filling it with CLR. took about 1.5 of the small bottles. I let it sit for an hour then poured the CLR in to a bucket and used the hose to rinse the rad out. A lot of white flakes came out as a flushed from the inlet and outlet. I refilled it with the CLR from the bucket and repeated several times. It is cooling better but still no where's near perfect. it gets to the notch before hot when cruising down the highway. I can get it to drop one notch if I blast the heat in the car. I'm going to try flushing it again this weekend. Any suggestions on something a little more powerful? I also put new antifreeze in with distilled water and water wetter.

tryingbe
10-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Re-core.

135sohc
12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Do you use the CLR full strength or mix with water ?

bfarroo
12-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Full Strength, I picked up some industrial strength stuff that I'm going to try this spring but it's -2 here now so no cooling issues.