PDA

View Full Version : Another Holset TIII..

Pages : [1] 2

rx2mazda
10-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty new to "this" forum but i have been on the other one for a few years. Anyway..........

Okay, got the holset on and running:D It was not just a bolt and go affair. For those that are thinking about it, here's the low-down..........

Turbo is a Holset HE351CW off a 03-05 cummings 24V common rail engine..
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0076.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0074.jpg

You have to re-clock the turbo and cut off the WG actuator bracket thats made into the compressor cover. Obvisouly, you will need a TIG welder so you can reattach it where you like. There is a small pin that keeps the turbo clocked where you want it so, you will have to drill a new hole for it once you get the turbo clocked.

For the oil supply you will need a 12mm X 1.5 to -4an adapter for the turbo and then I used my existing fwperfomance SS supply line.The stock T3 drain bolts right up and is good!

If you haven't already, you will have to cut the back "ear" off the tranny. There is also a lead weight on the end of the shifter cable that needs to be taken off.(I don't see any use for it anyway).

Last is a bigger one. The bobble strut needs to be modified. I had mine cut down already for the 50 trim and I was only running the bottom bushing. I still had to bring it down. YES, THE COMPRESSOR IS THAT BIG:D Jackson gave me the idea of cutting the actual bracket so that you can run both Poly bushings. All said and done I removed about 1 1/2 inches and will run both bushing. Here's how it looks.....
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0086.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0087-1.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0088.jpg

I made a new upper IC hose........
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0077.jpg
hot out the powder coat oven.......
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0081.jpg

The compressor outlet is 2.75 so, I am using a 2.75 to 2.5 reducer 90.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0079.jpg

Turbine outlet is about 3.85 inches V-band but, a 4 inch v-band will work. I am using a "Jackson Racing" 4-inch v-band to 3-inch DP and then back to my 3inch cut-out......In this pic you can see the firewall clearance, BTW I massaged it with a hammer a little....
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0078-1.jpg

Here it is all done..
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0083.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0082.jpg

Anyway, I did drive it a little but I didn't get on it too hard because I didn't have that tranny mount finished and the motor was loose plus, I was low on methanol. I got up to 20lbs and this thing moves. I pulled a G37 on the highway half throttle:thumb: When this thing spools it sounds like a jet engine:eek: I am gonna tune my methanol and fuel tomorrow and get up to 25-27lbs. STAY TUNED!

Bardo
10-06-2008, 09:56 PM
that is sexy please keep us up dated

rx2mazda
10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks! sorry the motor is so dirty :)

Shadow
10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Nice! And nice to see ppl making use of the factory W/G actuator, it rocks!:nod:

BadAssPerformance
10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty new to "this" forum but i have been on the other one for a few years. Anyway..........

Welcome! :welcome: You'll fit in well, nice work :thumb:

rx2mazda
10-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Welcome! :welcome: You'll fit in well, nice work :thumb:

Thanks a lot!

Lotashelbys
10-07-2008, 01:48 AM
He forgot to tell you all the turbo mods were done for him you know:D Way to let us do all the R&D and you take all the credit:D Haha,JK buddy,glad you got it together:thumb:
This thing was an absolute animal driving around on the street. It was almost un-drivable with street tires(100 MPH,4th gear,27PSI,and let the tire smoke begin!) We drove it with BFG DRs on most of the time. Lets just say at a roll Evos,Z06s and some bikes saw the taillights of the "Not-Rod" Remember Carrol 400+ WHP and 12.50s or better before you even start to post results:thumb:

HOLSET POWER BABY!!!

Ondonti
10-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Banshee didnt have to mod the bobble strut bracket. I guess his turbine housing lifts the compressor farther away from the bracket. Might take my motor out, replace the freeze plug in the bellhousing and go beat up on his holset cause he is clutch handicapped lol.

What clutch are you using?

rx2mazda
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
He forgot to tell you all the turbo mods were done for him you know:D Way to let us do all the R&D and you take all the credit:D Haha,JK buddy,glad you got it together:thumb:
This thing was an absolute animal driving around on the street. It was almost un-drivable with street tires(100 MPH,4th gear,27PSI,and let the tire smoke begin!) We drove it with BFG DRs on most of the time. Lets just say at a roll Evos,Z06s and some bikes saw the taillights of the "Not-Rod" Remember Carrol 400+ WHP and 12.50s or better before you even start to post results:thumb:

HOLSET POWER BABY!!!

WTF? I have no idea who this guy even is!! LMAO. NO, you did clock the turbo and weld on the bracket but, that was the easy part:D I did mention the "Jackson Racing"(hint hint) downpipe. My car has so many of your parts I should get sponsorship:thumb:, DP, Turbo, shifter......:hail:

rx2mazda
10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Banshee didnt have to mod the bobble strut bracket. I guess his turbine housing lifts the compressor farther away from the bracket. Might take my motor out, replace the freeze plug in the bellhousing and go beat up on his holset cause he is clutch handicapped lol.

What clutch are you using?

That's probably it cause with the stock housing it sit really low. I wish i didn't have to modify it but, at least if i go bigger in the future i'll be ready

Clutch is TU 4-puck w/yellow plate. I'm gonna try to put my brand new M+H 23 inchers on and make it to the track Friday to see if she holds....

mboyek
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Nice bracket for the wastegate cannister!

I lack the ability to weld aluminum and I didn't want to farm it out so I made this plate from scrap stainless bolted to the "old" wastegate mount.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq135/daytonaer/100_2867.jpg

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq135/daytonaer/100_2868.jpg

Concerning the clocking pin, I just removed it. There are allot of guys running these on fords and what not that run without the pin with no problem, and I didn't think it would matter too much. I did not cut the ear off the tranny, but I did have to modify the shifter cable bracket (lowered). I may also be pinching the speedo cable. But hybrids are a little different then the fancy lotus stuff concerning placement. I plan to go solid motor mounts, so I lost the tranny strut.

I'm also using the mitsu waste can, I didn't think the holset can has the ability to regulate around 7 or so psi, which is what I want to run when breaking in the engine and clutch.

Your waste can mount is Much more firewall friendly than mine. :clap:

I don't have an exhaust or intercooler pipes hooked up yet so I can't say what its like on a hybrid. Good luck if you make it to the track!

mboyek
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Forgot to ask,

What on earth did you use for the retainer clip on the compressor housing? I could not even find ring pin pliers large enough to buy, I ended up muscling it in with two sets of vice-grips.

Also, did you remove the silencer ring on the compressor inlet? Mines out, I'm all about that "jet engine" sound you describe. :thumb:

Lotashelbys
10-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Forgot to ask,

What on earth did you use for the retainer clip on the compressor housing? I could not even find ring pin pliers large enough to buy, I ended up muscling it in with two sets of vice-grips.

Also, did you remove the silencer ring on the compressor inlet? Mines out, I'm all about that "jet engine" sound you describe. :thumb:

I had to pick up a large 45 degree snap ring pliers from my Snap-On man. That worked perfect and you can actually remove it in the car:thumb:

Yes,the silencer ring is long gone:D

Also,about the WG can,I tried a stock TIII can and I could get it to regulate boost hardly at all. I think with using the stock Holset housing you will need to port the crap out of the WG hole and help direct it a little better than it is stock. The way it is now I could get 27 PSI every time.

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2008, 01:04 PM
What are you using for an air filter? I don't see anything hooked up?

Guess I have to start looking for one for the van next year, :lol:

rx2mazda
10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
What are you using for an air filter? I don't see anything hooked up?

Guess I have to start looking for one for the van next year, :lol:

It's there, you can see it. It's a little mesh sock like filter that Jackson uses on his go-carts air filters.:D I want to get a good inlet filter going but for now that will do. It is going to be a pain running a 4-inch tube in that tight area. The heater core lines are right there.

dds78910
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Nice install, looks good!

rx2mazda
10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
MBOYEK....that a nice idea with that bracket.

BTW, This thing pulls like crazy!!!! Lag is increase(obviously)over the 50 trim but when it comes on it is angry:) Once again, the sound of a Holset is ADDICTIVE.

omni_840
10-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice work! Can't wait to see the number's it lays down :)

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2008, 03:18 PM
You should post up a vid of it, :D

Pat
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Any surge as boost/rpm's come up?

rx2mazda
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Not a lick:thumb: And looking at the maps it was a concern I had but, from what i've heard/read, from those running holsets, these things just don't surge on gasoline engines regardless of what the Maps say.. I do need to adjust my RFL BOV.

mboyek
10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I had to pick up a large 45 degree snap ring pliers from my Snap-On man. That worked perfect and you can actually remove it in the car:thumb:

Yes,the silencer ring is long gone:D

Also,about the WG can,I tried a stock TIII can and I could get it to regulate boost hardly at all. I think with using the stock Holset housing you will need to port the crap out of the WG hole and help direct it a little better than it is stock. The way it is now I could get 27 PSI every time.

I ported the crap out of the stock wastegate passage.

You wouldn't by chance have the part number for the ring pliers would you? being able to disassemble the turbo on the car would be wonderful.

t3rse
10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
What I did, and this is by far the easiest solution, is get a cheapo set of Chinese channel locks that get wide enough, and then drill holes in the ends so you put in two roll pins that are the correct size. Now you have multi-adjust snap ring pliers.

CaptMoe
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Carroll that's some tight work my brother. Very nice indeed.
I've gotta get my v/covers down to you sometime this winter.

Glad you've got your baby running. And welcome aboard...

Directconnection
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
What rpms does boost come on at vs your 50 trim?

WOP'R
10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
hey any chance you guys want to make another down pipe and sell it to me? Ill be running the same turbo and i gotta say that yours looks pretty good

Lotashelbys
10-07-2008, 11:20 PM
hey any chance you guys want to make another down pipe and sell it to me? Ill be running the same turbo and i gotta say that yours looks pretty good

Well,I could,but I have to mock up another engine with a HE351 hanging on it( I happen to have another) Dont know how soon that will happen. Unless you have $$$ for me:D

That one that Carrol has actually was thrown together to try to get our car done for a midnight race so its not as pretty as I can make them *cough*Cory*cough*:D

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM

Okay, got the holset on and running:D It was not just a bolt and go affair. For those that are thinking about it, here's the low-down..........

Here it is all done..
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0083.jpg

Anyway, I did drive it a little but I didn't get on it too hard because I didn't have that tranny mount finished and the motor was loose plus, I was low on methanol. I got up to 20lbs and this thing moves. I pulled a G37 on the highway half throttle. When this thing spools it sounds like a jet engine.
I am gonna tune my methanol and fuel tomorrow and get up to 25-27lbs. STAY TUNED!
Damn fine work! :thumb:
You will love that thing! Dont listen to the Holset haters here. lol :p They will soon see. My kill list so far (on a small 18-20 psi) is a moded srt8, a lightning (wasnt even a race) a single turbo modded supra that I had 2 cars on by the top on second, and we started in second. Not to mention a bunch of mullet-maro ss' and what not. Soon the haters will see. :nod:

And isnt that Jackson racing DP awesome!

HOLSET POWER BABY!!!
:hail:
I dont dare take mine out without the drag radials on. Its spins them in second everynow and then. :eyebrows:

My HX40 pro has not a bit of surge either. Very happy with it. and flows more than I will even need.

Well,I could,but I have to mock up another engine with a HE351 hanging on it( I happen to have another) Dont know how soon that will happen. Unless you have $$$ for me:D

That one that Carrol has actually was thrown together to try to get our car done for a midnight race so its not as pretty as I can make them *cough*Cory*cough*:D
What, this sexy work of art?
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/lotashelbys/100_2041.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/lotashelbys/100_2037.jpg
Pics do NOT do it justice. The dump on the external wastegate is just plain mean sounding.

Oh, yeah, and external wastegate FTW! :p lol

I think that has something to do with my BEP housing. I did have to cut it down to where I could hardley get the nut back on. lol

I hope you can make it up. I would like to play with the duster. :evil: To be in the same camera frame in a race with that thing will make me very happy. lol And, my turbo can beat up your turbo ;) Maybe not outflow it, but it will be it up! :nod: lol
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/bansheenut420/Picture004.jpg

Ondonti
10-08-2008, 02:03 AM
The work i was doing tonight on my oil pan was real difficult with you stealing all my grinding tools after I fixed your turbo :P

Holset = no boost control at all on a good flowing motor without modification :(

I wonder how bad your creep would have been before I opened up the scroll?

Does the new jackson racing setup creep?

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Over 20+ by 4000rpms. 50 trim spooled 2-300rpms sooner.

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Carroll that's some tight work my brother. Very nice indeed.
I've gotta get my v/covers down to you sometime this winter.

Glad you've got your baby running. And welcome aboard...

Gracias amigo! estoy esperando para ti......

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Over 20+ by 4000rpms. 50 trim spooled 2-300rpms sooner.

Sad thing is, my holset spools as fast or faster than my old pos s70 in a .48 housing! :yuck:

When you going to get her to the track/dyno?

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 08:52 AM

IT'S CARROLL! Like CARROLL SHELBY. That last "L" is important, it stands for LOVER.:love: Thanks for getting it right Mo.

My DP will be heat wrapped soon so, thats okay:thumb:

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Does the new jackson racing setup creep?

I'm too busy looking at the WB to see, lol. I need to fix my DB-9 cable and do some datalogging then I will get a better idea of exactly whats going on in there. I still think my cam timing is off because of my previous dynos dropping off after 6200rpms. Waiting for Cindy to get some more cam gear.

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 08:57 AM

I think i'm gonna go to the track w/slicks this friday:banaride:

tryingbe
10-08-2008, 10:47 AM
What's the minimal boost with that holset wastegate actuator?

bgbmxer
10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
why does everyone hate holsets? that is what i will be running also but in a lbody and it will be a hy35. what is the size difference between the holset your running and the hy35. cant wait for some vids of that car

turboshad
10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Nice work. I think the Holsets match the 16V engines very well. I have the HE351 on my 2.4 and so far really like it. I'm not happy with how my Megasquirt is controlling boost so I have another controller on the way and once that is in I know it will turn from liking it to loving it.

In 4th I can have over 20 psi by 3400 with my 2.4

what is the size difference between the holset your running and the hy35.

The HE351 has a slightly larger compressor wheel. Physically they are the same size.

DJ

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I think i'm gonna go to the track w/slicks this friday:banaride:
AWESOME! Please get some video! :evil:
I am going to try to make it to the dyno this weekend. I think 400whp is not out of the question on a measley 20psi. :eyebrows:

why does everyone hate holsets?
Because its not your typical cookie cutter build. Heaven forbid someone tries somthing different. :evil: After all the success the dsm, honda, nissian guys have had with them I am suprised they are not more popular. They are THE best bang for the buck turbo out there! :nod:

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
^^^+1

Except the spool on your 2.4 seems to be a little better than my 2.2. But, Turboshad, you have a header style manifold correct? This will really help out with spool. I was following your build and your car is an amazing piece of work, from the intake to the paint, to the polished Holset, etc.....MAD PROPS:hail:

I think the big thing I am lacking right now is air intake capabilities. These holset flow so much air they would love a big plenum intake and throttle body. Right now i'm all stock including the 52mm TB. I think big HP can be gained there on my set-up. For now I need my adj cam gears so I can centerline these things.

I have a vid but it's on a public road so I don't know if I should show it........................:confused2:

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
^^^+1

Except the spool on your 2.4 seems to be a little better than my 2.2. But, Turboshad, you have a header style manifold correct? This will really help out with spool. I was following your build and your car is an amazing piece of work, from the intake to the paint, to the polished Holset, etc.....MAD PROPS:hail:

I think the big thing I am lacking right now is air intake capabilities. These holset flow so much air they would love a big plenum intake and throttle body. Right now i'm all stock including the 52mm TB. I think big HP can be gained there on my set-up. For now I need my adj cam gears so I can centerline these things.

I have a vid but it's on a public road so I don't know if I should show it........................:confused2:

I totally agree with the intake thing. I have started looking into a new one.

Also, about the vid.... I am sure its all computer generated (wink, wink) so its fine. Have you seen some of my vids? lol I havent had one from the track in a year. lol Please post! :thumb:

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 07:45 PM
AWESOME! Please get some video! :evil:
I am going to try to make it to the dyno this weekend. I think 400whp is not out of the question on a measley 20psi. :eyebrows:

Can't wait to see your numbers!! 400 @ 20psi would be awesome.

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I think Rick D picked up 38whp on a TIII 50trim with his intake and no other modifications! Imagine that with a Holset that flows a ton more than the 50 trim with ease. Too bad he hasn't been making any lately:(

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Can't wait to see your numbers!! 400 @ 20psi would be awesome.

I know its extreme bench racing, but I WALKED a modded srt8 the other night. And a supra claiming he had 400whp saw my taillights by alteast 2 cars on sunday. So, keeping fingers crossed. Then I will put the new Walbro in, and go for broke. I either want to make WELL into the 500whp range (gotta beat the 8v with the HUGE shot form the other board), or ventilate the block. :evil: Which ever comes first. :nod:

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I think Rick D picked up 38whp on a TIII 50trim with his intake and no other modifications! Imagine that with a Holset that flows a ton more than the 50 trim with ease. Too bad he hasn't been making any lately:(

We need to start bugging "Jackson Racing" to make us some intakes. :eyebrows: I could only imagine how happy a nice big plenum would make this thing.

bansheenut420
10-08-2008, 07:56 PM
What is the flow rate for a hybrid?
Here are the flow rates of some Holsets in comparison to some GT series crap. :D
HX35 63 lb/min
HX40 74 lb/min
H1E 72 lb/min

Some Garrett GT40 ratings for comparison:
GT4082R 50T 58 lb/min
GT4088R 52T 68 lb/min
GT4088R 54T 72 lb/min

I think 74lb/min is more than I will ever need. :evil: maybe. lol

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 07:58 PM
We need to start bugging "Jackson Racing" to make us some intakes. :eyebrows: I could only imagine how happy a nice big plenum would make this thing.

:amen: Okay, you call him in early in the morning everday and I will call him at night until he can't take it anymore:thumb:

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Don't know how to post vids on this site so, someone help a brotha out........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whh94XMBbtc

nevermind, that was easy. may take i min I just uploaded it. enjoy.

turbovanmanČ
10-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Luckily, I already have a big plenum intake with a 58mm T/B, :evil:

moparzrule
10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Nice vid. Were you on race gas to run 30 PSI? What calibration are you running?

rx2mazda
10-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Nice vid. Were you on race gas to run 30 PSI? What calibration are you running?

Nope 93 and methanol. FWPerfomance s5. Thanks, i was tuning the methanol on those vids so it was not full throttle.

2.216VTurbo
10-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Sad thing is, my holset spools as fast or faster than my old pos s70 in a .48 housing! :yuck:

Hmm, that's odd, your old S70 spools fine on the Rampage and all I did was throw a stock turbine wheel in the thing. I can't think of any reason why that would help:rolleyes:

turboshad
10-09-2008, 12:39 AM
^^^+1

Thx. It was a bunch of work but always worth it.

Bearing in mind it is a 2.4, though looking at the difference between the 2.2 and 2.5 8Vs maybe it doesn't mean that much, if I recall right I made my intake around 4L. I was going for at least 1.5X displacement. I am using a 65mm TB and the runners are around 8"-12" from plenum to valve. Sorry for the rough numbers, going by memory here which is poor to say the least.

I wouldn't say it is neccessarily peaky but it definately loves the top end and the throttle reponse is still quite good which was one of my fears when building it with the large plenum, TB and intake piping. Hopefully I will have some numbers in the spring that should show weather the larger plenum/short runner is doing me good or bad. But I have to say from initial impressions it has absolutely no trouble breathing with the combo. So I would definately agree with using at least 1.5X your displacement as somewhere to start.

DJ

EDIT: Just watched the video..................SWEET A$$!! Do to the boost controlling issues I haven't been able to do a solid high boost run since I haven't been able to work the tune out up there. Videos like that give me the inspiration I need and get me more excited. Are you running 30 psi on pump??

Ondonti
10-09-2008, 12:45 AM
What is the flow rate for a hybrid?
Here are the flow rates of some Holsets in comparison to some GT series crap. :D
HX35 63 lb/min
HX40 74 lb/min
H1E 72 lb/min

Some Garrett GT40 ratings for comparison:
GT4082R 50T 58 lb/min
GT4088R 52T 68 lb/min
GT4088R 54T 72 lb/min

I think 74lb/min is more than I will ever need. :evil: maybe. lol

What happened to our conversation about some of this info being wrong on the holsets.

Your 6 blade is a 60mm compressor, and I believe it only flows 66 lb/min according to the DSM guys and the 7 blade version is 56mm and I dont know how much it flows, but less then 66.
This means the HX40 is less lopsided then we thought. That said, if you think you can use all 66lb/min then more power to you ;)
I know I will never use all of my turbo.

That said it seems to fit your car a lot better then all the turbos that Simon is using on his TIII.

Ondonti
10-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Hmm, that's odd, your old S70 spools fine on the Rampage and all I did was throw a stock turbine wheel in the thing. I can't think of any reason why that would help:rolleyes:

haha, I hope I understand the sarcasm in this post without getting anyone who might be involved with the old wheel mad.
If I was more well acquainted with him back then you wouldn't have had to change the turbine wheel. Sorry I couldnt save you some dollars.

"small" turbo plus lag = worst of both worlds. :(

Ondonti
10-09-2008, 12:59 AM
BTW, get the car running right so we can see WOT runs. Part throttle is just fun noise :P

bansheenut420
10-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Me either. I wonder why that could be. lol How did you end up with my s70? I thought I sold it to a guy in canada.

bansheenut420
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Don't know how to post vids on this site so, someone help a brotha out........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whh94XMBbtc

nevermind, that was easy. may take i min I just uploaded it. enjoy.
Thats awesome! I need to do some daytime vids bad. lol Are you on your stock pump still? I wanna know why mine is crapping out at 22psi, and you and jackson are going to 30. lol But, luckily the fuel pump showed the other day. :thumb: Please, keep the vids coming. I would like to see a shot of the speedo sweeping up! :nod: YOu using the DevilsOwn kit or somthing else? Jet size?

Luckily, I already have a big plenum intake with a 58mm T/B, :evil:
Jackson racing will be making some T3 ones with 60somthing ford TBs. These holsets are dying for a better intake. None of us are on better intakes yet.

Nope 93 and methanol. FWPerfomance s5. Thanks, i was tuning the methanol on those vids so it was not full throttle.
I have yet to pick up any knock. But, I am only on a stage 3. Why am I only on a stage 3 anyway. lol But, that being said FWD CALS FTW! My a/f ratio looks nice and flat, well for the most part.

What happened to our conversation about some of this info being wrong on the holsets.

Your 6 blade is a 60mm compressor, and I believe it only flows 66 lb/min according to the DSM guys and the 7 blade version is 56mm and I dont know how much it flows, but less then 66.
This means the HX40 is less lopsided then we thought. That said, if you think you can use all 66lb/min then more power to you ;)
I know I will never use all of my turbo.

That said it seems to fit your car a lot better then all the turbos that Simon is using on his TIII.
Yeah, I remembered after I posted, but that I got that info off hondatech so, ya know the honda guys. lol I dont think I will ever use it all, but you never know. The spare block in my garage is getting the full treatment. :eyebrows: I still have that high 9k rpm itch. :nod:

Holset, FTW. :amen:

iTurbo
10-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Jackson Racing eh? Why aren't we hearing from Jackson himself about this? Is he a vendor now? And what is it with the "Holset Haters" thing? Is that like the imaginary 3.0L haters club?

bansheenut420
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Jackson Racing eh? Why aren't we hearing from Jackson himself about this? Is he a vendor now? And what is it with the "Holset Haters" thing? Is that like the imaginary 3.0L haters club?

lol Yeah, thats what we like to call him (kind of an inside joke). I had a 45 min conversation with him about it last night. He has to make one for him, and test it before he will be making anymore. Do you think I would get on here and randomly say he is going to do somthing? And, I dont know that he is "selling" them so much as he is making probably atleast 2 other than his. So, no I doubt he is becoming a vendor. But, I cant speak for him. Just spill the beans on his next project. :D And, the Holset haters thing is basically an inside joke as well. That, and me speaking how I felt. Maybe a few others agree, maybe they dont. ;) So, yeah I figure its like the imaginary 3.0 haters club. lol

iTurbo
10-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Cool, cool. Kudos for the totally unsnarkified reply. I have even considered going with a Holset myself but I can't seem to work any of the varieties into my project(s) parameters. To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind sending $ Jackson's way for a custom downpipe because I know the guy has great fab skills and I'm not sure where else to go for what I need. In my area there are a lot of great welders but they are making so much money doing contract work for local coal mines, they aren't willing to mess with my trivial needs. After seeing pics of his own car at SDAC and stuff he's done for others I can't imagine he has time to do custom parts for everyone that wants something. Believe me I know how difficult it is to make a custom part for someone when you don't have the person's car to work on in your own shop.

bansheenut420
10-10-2008, 12:06 AM
If I was "unsnarkified" (not sure what that means lol) towards you that was not my purpose. I have no problem with you, and didnt mean you were in the hoslet haters. I cant really say anyone in particular is, but they just seemed to be generally not well recived. But, thats cool.

iTurbo
10-10-2008, 12:08 AM
haha no worries. (another inside joke) The word 'snarky' came up in another thread and I just have to use it every chance I get. "unsnarkified" = no B.S.

rx2mazda
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Cory, walbro 255 and D.O meth with a 10gph jet. I will be going up to a 12 or 15 because at the top of third it starts to lean out to the tune of 13.X:1. Jackson actually upped his FP and was running a race gas mix. I have stock FP and I am running a 80/20 meth to water mix and 93, I am going to switch that to 100 meth. I want to leave my FP stock and get the extra needed fuel from the meth, that way, I can keep the same MPG when i'm off boost. Right now, I can get 400 miles to a topped off tank!

Thanks for the compliments!

bansheenut420
10-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Throw the 14 or 15 in there. You will need it. :D I am running 50/50 daily, and when I take it out to beat on it, I add as much strait meth as possible. Keep up the good work man. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
10-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Nothing wrong with my 50 trim? :confused: That is also the turbo Warren S is running 10's with, :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Got a pig van into the 12's and it will get me into the 11's when I actually tune the damn thing, :nod:

rx2mazda
10-10-2008, 07:58 PM
So, I couldn't make it to the track :( Just wasn't meant to be......

I wanted my buddy to tow me there, just in case i break an axle or something in this pig and he wasn't able to. So, I decided not to go. Also, I need to replace my driver side axle. Can any one tell me the application for the passenger side unequal axle? Thanks

rx2mazda
10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Throw the 14 or 15 in there. You will need it. :D I am running 50/50 daily, and when I take it out to beat on it, I add as much strait meth as possible. Keep up the good work man. :thumb:

What nozzle are you running?

turboshad
10-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Can any one tell me the application for the passenger side unequal axle? Thanks

Shadow 3.0L

iTurbo
10-10-2008, 09:57 PM
We just converted my brother's Spirit R/T to unequal length axles. He got one for a '91 Spirit TBI/manual.

rx2mazda
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys!

Ondonti
10-11-2008, 01:56 AM
I got ----blocked on axles tonight. I tried autozone but they sell tiny crappy axles and my daily overheated on the way to the junkyard to look for saginaws.

I would just get the axles from 3.3L's as they are more plentiful.

bansheenut420
10-11-2008, 02:08 AM
What nozzle are you running?

I think I have the m12 in there now. I have the on point set to 7 and the full on to 20 for now. On my ride tonight, my charge temp was 78 deg under full boost. lol

rx2mazda
10-11-2008, 02:49 AM
I have the m10 in and it comes on at 16 full by 25.....I think I may leave it in. I did some fine tuning with the 100% methanol and it's running great to redline @ 27-30psi. Seems to be running a lot better with the pure methanol! I may step-up to the m12 and change the progression just to be on the safe side. This turbo combo is a beast! I highly recommend it to any 16v car. I can only imagine what it would do with a equal length runner manifold :) That and a full 4-inch DP may be my next mod.

Cory, I would think your car would bog with the spray coming on at 7lbs. Mine did. I mean, I can run my car to 19-20lbs before I start getting knock with 93. What are your A/F's like at 7lbs with alky?

So what applications for the axle? Year/make/model? 92 Shadow 3.0 V6, 3.3 caravan?

bansheenut420
10-11-2008, 03:15 AM
I dont think its bogging. It must come on at such a low level at 7 that its not to much. Plus, if its getting to 7 psi, chance are I am hammering it, so at that point, it ramps up way fast. Here is a datalog of a 1st gear 2000 rpm roll to mid 4th gear. a/f's were mid to low 11's. The reading on the right hand side is where the vertical white line crosses. (you have to click on it full size to see the vertical white line)
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/bansheenut420/20psiscreenshot.jpg
Also in that 3rd gear, you can see my unhappy fuel pump wanting to crap out. :yuck: You dont even want to see the datalog from when it spiked to 28psi and leaned out to 14 to 1. lol EGT's were 2200 deg. :o But, no damage done luckily.

WOP'R
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
So with the holset wastegate can, you guys are seeing 27 psi? any way i can drop the max psi? i have a stage 3 cal from FWD and ill hit cut out at 20 psi

rx2mazda
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
FWP stage III doesn't have a cut-out at 20, its a 3bar cal good to 30. maybe you have something different. I believe "Shadow" ported his WG hole and adjusted the tension on actuator and was able to get it down to 17lbs.

moparzrule
10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
FWD's stage 3 is still a 2 bar MAP sensor, so 15 PSI. Stage 4 and 5 are 3 bar MAP's.

turbovanmanČ
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM
So what applications for the axle? Year/make/model? 92 Shadow 3.0 V6, 3.3 caravan?

Spirit, Daytona, Shadow, Dynasty etc all 87 and up auto. No Minivans-longer, no L body's-shorter.

FWD's stage 3 is still a 2 bar MAP sensor, so 15 PSI. Stage 4 and 5 are 3 bar MAP's.

He is running a 3 bar setup.

Xtrempickup
10-11-2008, 06:06 PM
header style manifold is available, I spoke to Chris at TU and if you want, its not cheap by any means he can have a stainless one done for you. he wont do it unless you pay for it

Xtrempickup
10-11-2008, 06:07 PM
there is no cut off at 20, the stock wastegate solenoid if its still hooked up will open that gate at 20 unless you have a grainger tied in there

bansheenut420
10-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Thats funny, I could have sworn I put a 3 bar map in my RT with my stage 3 cal.... I think you meant to say stage one is still the 2 bar. :thumb:

Porting the wastegate hole on these holsets is kinda needed. My boost in now rock solid with it ported. Well, rock solid when the boost controller line stays on.... Found out I lifted the head on the car a couple of weeks ago.

rx2mazda
10-11-2008, 08:07 PM

TIII 16V stage III are 18lbs 3bar cals good to 30lbs.:thumb:

rx2mazda
10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
header style manifold is available, I spoke to Chris at TU and if you want, its not cheap by any means he can have a stainless one done for you. he wont do it unless you pay for it

When I do do it, it will be custom. I am sure TU could do it but, I want to position my holset the exact way I need to make the rest of the installation easy. I want to raise it up an inch or two for clearance, DP and external WG, etc....Unless Chris has a Spirit R/T and HE351 on site:D

bansheenut420
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM

No thanks. I will wait for Jacksons. But, thanks for the heads up.

rx2mazda
10-11-2008, 08:22 PM
^^^+1000

moparzrule
10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Thats funny, I could have sworn I put a 3 bar map in my RT with my stage 3 cal.... I think you meant to say stage one is still the 2 bar. :thumb:

TIII 16V stage III are 18lbs 3bar cals good to 30lbs.:thumb:

Yeah my bad I forgot I was in the TIII 16v section of the forum when I replied earlier :o

rx2mazda
10-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I little help please......

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30578

rx2mazda
03-09-2009, 02:03 AM
UPDATE:

Got the fitting and nozzle I needed for my meth from Devilsown. Now running 100% M1 meth through a new m10 nozzle. I was finally able to do a full throttle, full boost pull with the holset and OMG this thing moves!! 100% meth is very fickle, took a lot of tweaking to find the right settings. It now comes on at 19lbs and is at full spray at 25. ratio's steady at 11.2-11.5, could probably go higher with the 100% meth but I don't want to push it any further with this high mileage stock block. 1-2nd gear are useless and top of third....this 92 568's 1st gear isn't helping. Also, got the 2-3 gears i was needing for my 91 tranny rebuild from Jackson!!Thanks! I'll be getting a quaiffe soon!

Also ordering my adj cam gears tomorrow! I will be doing back to back dyno's so I can see the gains to be had with cam timing on our motors. :thumb: Stay tuned!

EDIT: Also wanted to clarify something. My Holset spools faster than the 50 trim I had before. When I put the holset on, i didn't check the WG rod tension. While doing some testing Brian S. noticed that my WG was not seated all the way and we fixed that. Thank again Brian.

RJ138
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
When are you going up on the dyno? I am really curious to see your numbers.

Can the pump in your water/meth kit handle 100% meth? I think I am going to order their kit.

rx2mazda
03-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Going to the dyno day that Steve M is having on April 4! Should be a good turn-out and I'm shooting for 400+ whp at the minimum. Brian is going to help me dial the cams in while we have it on the dyno.......time permitting. The Devilsown pump is safe to run 100% meth and all is working good now. The customer service at D.O. Is op notch! I called to order a new fitting because mine was leaking and Chance sent it to me for free, actually, he said you might as well replace both so I'll send you two! They have always went above and beyond to make happy. I believe our vendor FWDP sells their kit and I have only good things to say about Cindy and her company too

RJ138
03-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Sweet, I just got out of the garage working on my busted Holset'd T3. Haha

I have the HE351CW too. I was going to buy the Devilsown meth kit back when it was 285 bucks... That was when he just started making the kits and had a group buy. I think there have been some significant upgrades to the systems since then but it had the progresive controller. Kicking my self for not getting it then, now it is 360 bucks. I will check FWD performance, I owe them a call anyway for my trimcal.

Thanks,
RJ

RJ138
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh and good luck at the dyno!

-RJ

rx2mazda
03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Oh and good luck at the dyno!

-RJ

Thanks! Hopefully it leaves under it's own power

rx2mazda
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Sweet, I just got out of the garage working on my busted Holset'd T3. Haha

I have the HE351CW too. I was going to buy the Devilsown meth kit back when it was 285 bucks... That was when he just started making the kits and had a group buy. I think there have been some significant upgrades to the systems since then but it had the progresive controller. Kicking my self for not getting it then, now it is 360 bucks. I will check FWD performance, I owe them a call anyway for my trimcal.

Thanks,
RJ

I don't see how you can run that turbo without meth or race gas. If there was a way to keep the boost under 20lbs then there would be no issues. Did you port the stock WG hole? Are you usings the stock actuator? Good luck with getting it back on the road, why is she down?

RJ138
03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't see how you can run that turbo without meth or race gas. If there was a way to keep the boost under 20lbs then there would be no issues. Did you port the stock WG hole? Are you usings the stock actuator? Good luck with getting it back on the road, why is she down?

I broke a clamp on the Holset and the car has sat for a year or so now. It never ran with that turbo on it. I had another R/T I was working on and a bike project that got in the way of my Holset'd R/T. I had the stock R/T wastegate hooked up but I am going to put the Cummin's one on now. I fixed the clamp tonight, I had to do some welding.

rx2mazda
03-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I broke a clamp on the Holset and the car has sat for a year or so now. It never ran with that turbo on it. I had another R/T I was working on and a bike project that got in the way of my Holset'd R/T. I had the stock R/T wastegate hooked up but I am going to put the Cummin's one on now. I fixed the clamp tonight, I had to do some welding.

Cool, you will love the holset! I would port the WG hole while you have it off. Get meth, you will need it.

rx2mazda
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Update: Decided to go with the OBX LSD with a 568/543 hybrid tranny w/3.77 FD. Went to 3 "pick n pulls" before I found a donor car, 92 Iroc R/T with a V6. Car was unmolested, all 4 ninga's(1 center cap), I got lucky. Pulled the trans and paid a cool $90.00 for it:D Took it apart today and everything looks brand new, the shift fork pads don't even look like they've been used! So anyway, I'll be ordering the obx and washers this week. Here are some pics...

92 A-543
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00328.jpg

Ring gear
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00329.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00340.jpg

gear-set out
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00339.jpg
those are fuzzys from the cloth I had it sitting on NOT SHAVINGS!
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00338.jpg

Just an updated shot of my engine bay......Like the pimped out stock Timing cover with the "see thru" window?(needs paint)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00325.jpg

This is the factory Holset cast flange and clamp welded. Brian Slowe is talented with the TIG welder:thumb:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00324.jpg

Just a shot of my car as it sits with the Powder coated Pumper...
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00320.jpg

My TIII adjustable cam gears came in the mail yesterday but I have to send them back and wait for some new ones, hopefully I can get them back and installed before the Dyno Day on april 4th.

Stay Tuned!

Carroll

bansheenut420
03-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Looks sick man! Nice work. :thumb: Cant wait to see some numbers.

rx2mazda
03-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Looks sick man! Nice work. :thumb: Cant wait to see some numbers.

Thanks Buddy, DITTO!!

moparfwdsleeper
03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
That is wicked!

2.216VTurbo
03-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Powder coated Pumpers, great idea:thumb:;) I think your engine bay gets a little cleaner every time we see it:hail:

rx2mazda
03-16-2009, 03:22 AM
That is wicked!

Thanks for the compliment!

Powder coated Pumpers, great idea:thumb:;) I think your engine bay gets a little cleaner every time we see it:hail:

Thanks Alan! Believe it or not, it's a long way off from where I want it to be. Eventually, I will relocate the battery and simplify/hide as much of the wiring harness as I can. I can't wait to do a 2 wheel burnout though:banaride:

RJ138
03-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Wow! Your car looks good with those wheels. The downpipe welds look awesome too.

rx2mazda
03-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Wow! Your car looks good with those wheels. The downpipe welds look awesome too.

:amen: Black pumper FTW, lol

RJ138
03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry for the hijack, here is my red R/T. I think your pumpers look a lot better.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v254/77/59/13934476/n13934476_45942519_631.jpg

rx2mazda
03-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Just a small update:

NEVERMIND

rx2mazda
03-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry for the hijack, here is my red R/T. I think your pumpers look a lot better.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v254/77/59/13934476/n13934476_45942519_631.jpg

+1 lol

rx2mazda
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Got my adj. cam gears in the mail today, Thanks Cindy! Hope to put these on and centerline the cam to factory specs before I hit the dyno. What are the factory specs again:confused:? Also, gonna re-wrap my DP if I have time.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00370.jpg

Turbo3Iroc
03-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Stock cams?

Intake 121* ATDC Exhaust 104* BTDC

rx2mazda
03-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Stock cams?

Intake 121* ATDC Exhaust 104* BTDC

Thank you Kelly!

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 12:10 AM
So I went to the Dyno today and here are the results..........

First run on the dyno was with the holset WG can and no boost controller like I have been running it on the street with a M10 injection nozzle running 100% meth.

PULL 1. Put down 319hp and 343trq @ about 22psi(spike to 25)running pig rich.

PULL 2. Advanced the intake a degree or two and did another pull, 315hp and 334trq still rich.

PULL 3. Retarded the intake back to where it was. Put in a M7 nozzle to try and bring the ratios down and did my third pull, 318hp and 323trq still just as rich as before.

Only one way to fix the rich problem, MORE BOOST:D Grabbed the never used grainger valve I brought with me to dial the boost up. Didn't know where to start with the valve since I never used it on this setup and my factory can was giving me 22lbs. Steve M. takes apart the valve and adds a spring from his ink pen then says "wanna see where 32lbs is"? cranks the grainger about 3/4 of the way down and hands it back to me, lol. I ride in the back seat to see where the boost is going to go as we do a test pull. Climbs to 30lbs and I tap Don(?) on the shoulder and he stops before it goes any higher. A/F's look good but he didn't even have it at full throttle, I get scared and decide to add the C10 I brought with me. Already had less than a 1/4 tank of 93 so they got mixed...........

Pull 4, I cross my fingers as I sit in the back seat and the boost rockets past 30 and then falls off to about 25lbs. 350hp and 395trq. A/F's look good near the spike then get rich again as the boost falls

:DPull 5. Twist the grainger down 1 1/2 turns! at this point i'm feeling good about the A/F's and the fact that I have race gas so i'm not worried about the spike, just want it to hold 30lbs+ to redline. BEST RUN, 377.06hp and 400.9trq and it still wouldn't hold boost till redline. Spiked past 30 and fell off to around 26 maybe 27lbs.

Pull 6. Twist the grainger down another turn and go again. Almost a mirror run....374.33hp and 401.37trq<< BEST TRQ. Boost did the same thing.

Conclusion. Below are the charts. The Holset wants to be over 30lbs to be happy. You can see I picked up about 60whp from the 5lbs of boost I added, thats 12whp per 1lbs of boost! Motor was making the power well with the a/f's around 12.5 but after 4900rpms the boost starts falling and the a/f's get richer.....all the way below 10:1 before 6000rpms. If i could have gotten the boost to hold over 30 the entire run I would have broken 400whp easy but, I ran out of time and money. I also didn't want to break my motor in PA and have to get my car towed home. I need to re-degree my cam gears as I think I didn't get it right the first time. I could use a new cal, I will talk to Cindy to see what she can do for me with the info I have now but, I standalone ECU is in the future(not this year though). Cheapo XS power IC and 2 1/4 piping may be holding up HP too. I am going to invest in a quality boost controller also. All in all, I left the dyno in one piece and drove 75minutes back to Baltimore so it was a good day. Keep in mind this is the stock block with 175K+ miles:confused: On the way home I boosted in 5th and it climbed past 30, pulled hard as a mofo and stayed there until the IC hose blew off and scared the piss out of me. I drove the rest of the way home just like that with no boost:amen:

I want to thank Brain Slowe for stickin in there with me and helping, Steve Menegon for letting me use his tools - setting up the event - and the food and Mike M. for letting me borrow some tools. It was good to put a face with then names.

Horsepower.....
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00412.jpg

TRQ and A/F's.......
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00413.jpg

VIDEO IS COMING!

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Nice work. I find it odd that your cal is doing that. How long have you had the cal for? Do you have an afpr on there? I used to have the same horrible rich condition you have, but turned my base fuel down to about 43, and now its totally flat. This is with my m7 jet with the on point at 7 psi, and full point at 15psi.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/bansheenut420/Myboostcreepdatalog.jpg
Maybe you just need a update on your cal. Mine is really new, but seems to work great. I cant wait to try out the dual m14 nozzles.

You get that fuel issue worked out, and the wg holding, and you will be WELL into the 4xx's. Nice job. Cant wait to see the vid.

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 12:37 AM
My M7 nozzle comes on at 20(see the dip in A/F around 3800?)and is full at 25. I doubt you will need dual m14 but, you never know. Larry's 500hp run was with a M10 and M2 together. That is with the fuel pressure set at stock 45 line on, I didn't play with the FP though I should have, I just decided to bring the boost up to match:D. Cal isn't too old, I will talk to Cindy and find out which one I have from the # on the chip. I got over 400 at the crank, lol.

EDIT: What kind of Boost controller you running.......your is rock solid!

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I doubt you will need dual m14
Oh, I will. :evil: I am taking meth lessons from Ondonti and his more meth than gas 34gph set up. But, I will only be running 28.

I would see if Cindy has a newer update for ya. Your hiding all kinds of power in the fat there. lol But, I am more than impressed with your setup. :thumb: Damn fine work. And, I am waiting anxiously for the vid.

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
From my own experiences cheating with fueling and using massive amounts of methanol (34#/2100cc's!!!). Yes, there is actually more liquid methanol going into my motor then gasoline.

I would say that you have 3 issues going on that combine to get the outcome you have.

#1. Your tune is setup way to rich (yeah duh but hold up with me for a minute).
#2. Your boost control sucks (the spike is not a good thing).
#3. You are spraying methanol.

The way these issues combine is this. Your rich condition is worsened by the fact that you are spraying methanol on top of a car that already has too much fuel. You could probably remove 10-20psi base fuel pressure!

Then your boost spike "pretends" to solve the problem by leaning out the mixture, but once your wastegate starts to do its job (late) your boost drops and you get back into your overly rich tune.

Because of your boost spike, you cant lean out the top end for fear of blowing up in the lower rpms. Your calibration is not set up for your crazy boost spike so it doesn't run correctly.
Your meth system is progressive but it doesn't recognize boost spikes. Full on is full on.

Either fix the boost spike, or get a calibration/custom EMS that can be tuned to be fat during your boost spike.

If you wanted to "ondonti" tune your car at the dyno, since you had C10, I would have changed the methanol on and full point to be something like 28 and 30+psi boost. That way you would have methanol during the spike (when your car is also more likely to detonate, in the lower rpms + lean + more boost), and zero after boost falls off. This would have flattened out your a/f and gotten you better numbers but I don't suggest ondonti tuning your car as its super ghetto and unreliable.

Fix the boost spike issue #1
Everything else is a bandaid. You can see from Cory's car how much easier it is to tune because of the flat boost curve. My car is really easy to tune with just a rising rate regulator and Meth because the boost never changes more the + or - 0.2 from "peak" boost. If I had a boost spike then my car would be a real pain in the butt and I wouldn't have gotten very far without a real EMS.

I think i speak from unfortunate experience when trying to help here.

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
My M7 nozzle comes on at 20(see the dip in A/F around 3800?)and is full at 25. I doubt you will need dual m14 but, you never know. Larry's 500hp run was with a M10 and M2 together. That is with the fuel pressure set at stock 45 line on, I didn't play with the FP though I should have, I just decided to bring the boost up to match:D. Cal isn't too old, I will talk to Cindy and find out which one I have from the # on the chip. I got over 400 at the crank, lol.

EDIT: What kind of Boost controller you running.......your is rock solid!

I (and ondonti) are running an HDI 2 stage electronic boost controller. IMO they are they best on the market right now. Unlike the Profec models, they are cheap (140.00 on ebay) and they are smiple as hell to use. Its a high and a low dial. You have to use your in car boost gauge to set it. But, it spools faster than my grainger did, and is ROCK solid in any gear.

I also have to thank ondonti for the rock solid boost. He did an excellent job on porting my wastegate passage and turbine housing.

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Damn 3g card! almost uploaded......

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:48 AM
damn 3g card! Almost uploaded......

woot!

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Here is ondonti's 516 @ 20psi datalog for reference as well.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/bansheenut420/brentsdynodatalog2.jpg

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 12:53 AM
From my own experiences cheating with fueling and using massive amounts of methanol (34#/2100cc's!!!). Yes, there is actually more liquid methanol going into my motor then gasoline.

I would say that you have 3 issues going on that combine to get the outcome you have.

#1. Your tune is setup way to rich (yeah duh but hold up with me for a minute).
#2. Your boost control sucks (the spike is not a good thing).
#3. You are spraying methanol.

The way these issues combine is this. Your rich condition is worsened by the fact that you are spraying methanol on top of a car that already has too much fuel. You could probably remove 10-20psi base fuel pressure!

Then your boost spike "pretends" to solve the problem by leaning out the mixture, but once your wastegate starts to do its job (late) your boost drops and you get back into your overly rich tune.

Because of your boost spike, you cant lean out the top end for fear of blowing up in the lower rpms. Your calibration is not set up for your crazy boost spike so it doesn't run correctly.
Your meth system is progressive but it doesn't recognize boost spikes. Full on is full on.

Either fix the boost spike, or get a calibration/custom EMS that can be tuned to be fat during your boost spike.

If you wanted to "ondonti" tune your car at the dyno, since you had C10, I would have changed the methanol on and full point to be something like 28 and 30+psi boost. That way you would have methanol during the spike (when your car is also more likely to detonate, in the lower rpms + lean + more boost), and zero after boost falls off. This would have flattened out your a/f and gotten you better numbers but I don't suggest ondonti tuning your car as its super ghetto and unreliable.

Fix the boost spike issue #1
Everything else is a bandaid. You can see from Cory's car how much easier it is to tune because of the flat boost curve. My car is really easy to tune with just a rising rate regulator and Meth because the boost never changes more the + or - 0.2 from "peak" boost. If I had a boost spike then my car would be a real pain in the but and I wouldn't have gotten very far without a real EMS.

I think i speak from unfortunate experience when trying to help here.

I agree 100% i would have turned the meth on at 30 if I had c16, i just didn't want to chance it with c10 not knowing how high the spike went over 30. If I had more time on the dyno I could have tried a few more things........c'est la vi. Thanks for the input! Maybe I have to mail you my turbo for some porting:eyebrows:

I (and ondonti) are running an HDI 2 stage electronic boost controller. IMO they are they best on the market right now. Unlike the Profec models, they are cheap (140.00 on ebay) and they are smiple as hell to use. Its a high and a low dial. You have to use your in car boost gauge to set it. But, it spools faster than my grainger did, and is ROCK solid in any gear.

I also have to thank ondonti for the rock solid boost. He did an excellent job on porting my wastegate passage and turbine housing.

I'm going to look into those! thanks

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 12:54 AM
The one thing I can't help with is boost spike. I have no idea what causes it or how it gets fixed. I've only ever spent time dealing with creep in my own setup and others. Most people don't spike bad enough to have the problems you do. Hopefully someone can enlighten us on a solution.

BTW in the chart above you can see where my meth turns on and full. I actually need to modify the settings a little bit because I really need it to go full on a little sooner so I dont get that lean spike between the "on" and "full."

Yours, if you didnt have a boost spike issue I would suggest turning the "on" point down to 10-15 so it doesnt bog out so bad on fuel when it hits. When you datalog you will find ways to improve your meth settings. I spent a few hours looking at my own digital records and came up with good ideas for my own car. The problem is that its SO hard to make good decisions when you are at the dyno. I definitely know that feeling. Tunnel vision!!!

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm going to look into those! thanks
No prob. And they are GREAT people to deal with as well if you have any problems. They are very upgradeable too. :thumb:

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Its time to get cindy to make us some 4 bar cals with 8k rev limits and anti lag. :D HINT HINT HINT CINDY! lol

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I never had a spike problem with mine. It was the 15psi boost creep after 6k that was shitty for me. Ondittys porting fixed it right up. I wonder if the spike is just a function of the wg not holding? So its just blowing open and not controlling the boost.

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Good point. I think that if you had gone the opposite direction on the grainger, You would have made more power. Its probably the case that you are not having a boost spike, but that 30+psi was your boost setting and then the wastegate would fail to hold.

This is an instance where less boost = good thing. Another things thats almost impossible to realize under the pressure of the dyno!
I say that because with a flatter boost curve you could have learned things out without worrying about the 30+psi boost leanspots. Your Hp obviously isnt "falling off" over 6000 rpms so thats where you could have been making big numbers.

Changing the meth points wouldn't have made it anymore dangerous above 30 because you would have you "on" and full point at 28 and 30ish psi boost so you would still have full meth in the scary area and no meth when the boost dropped.

Did anyone there have a wastegate spring?

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I never had a spike problem with mine. It was the 15psi boost creep after 6k that was shitty for me. Ondittys porting fixed it right up. I wonder if the spike is just a function of the wg not holding? So its just blowing open and not controlling the boost.

Which WG are you running? Here's the thing, my wg from the factory is above 22lbs, that spring is strong as anything, seriously! Then i take a grainger valve and stop flow to it completly until a "certain" point. Once the air shoots through the grainger it hits a WG with a spring and tension thats higher than crack addicts blood pressure so, it take awhile to overcome and bring the boost down. This is my view so far.............

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Good point. I think that if you had gone the opposite direction on the grainger, You would have made more power. Its probably the case that you are not having a boost spike, but that 30+psi was your boost setting and then the wastegate would fail to hold.

This is an instance where less boost = good thing. Another things thats almost impossible to realize under the pressure of the dyno!
I say that because with a flatter boost curve you could have learned things out without worrying about the 30+psi boost leanspots. Your Hp obviously isnt "falling off" over 6000 rpms so thats where you could have been making big numbers.

Changing the meth points wouldn't have made it anymore dangerous above 30 because you would have you "on" and full point at 28 and 30ish psi boost so you would still have full meth in the scary area and no meth when the boost dropped.

Did anyone there have a wastegate spring?

Factory wastegate Holset 22+ can:confused:

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 01:08 AM
ENJOY!......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD608iK_OPk&feature=channel_page

turbovanmanČ
04-05-2009, 01:09 AM

I am running the Profec Type S, 3 dials, gain, hi and lo boost, rock solid. I got it used for $150, :thumb:

Too bad you didn't hit over 400whp, but not bad otherwise, :amen:

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 01:09 AM
The reason it blows open is because your exhaust gas backpresure is so high that it overcomes the force against the flapper. Backpressure goes up at RPM's increase because you have more exhaust flow.

Cory's turbo has the same problem, too much backpressure, but his exhaust gases wanted to travel out the wheel (least resistance) because his wastegate hole sucked. I wouldn't port your wastegate hole until you fix the spike issue. I bet you have a creep problem too but since you keep your boost so high I doubt you can see the effects.

I modified cory's turbine scroll to decrease backpressure originally (no wastegate hold porting because he didnt want me to) and its possible that helped contribute to boost creep because the wheel was the "easier" choice.

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Which WG are you running? Here's the thing, my wg from the factory is above 22lbs, that spring is strong as anything, seriously! Then i take a grainger valve and stop flow to it completly until a "certain" point. Once the air shoots through the grainger it hits a WG with a spring and tension thats higher than crack addicts blood pressure so, it take awhile to overcome and bring the boost down. This is my view so far.............

I am running a turbo concepts 38mm external.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj95/bansheenut420/Picture016.jpg

Did you have a good sized bleed after your grainger to let the pressure out of the line so the wg could close fast? I actually had to use a restrictor after my grainger when I was using one to get the boost not to fall off becuase the wg could open and close fast enough with the pressure still in the line. if that made sense. lol

And, before anyone says it, yes the WG is on my car backwards in that pic. It was just set there so I could take a pic. :p

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 01:11 AM
I am running the Profec Type S, 3 dials, gain, hi and lo boost, rock solid. I got it used for $150, :thumb:

And I got 2 brand new ones for 140. :D :thumb: new>used. :p It also happened that I got my 2nd one though a shipping screw up when the first one broke. lmfao.
Not to mention when your solinoid goes out, they are about 200 bucks. I can get a replacement mac valve from one of my buddies for free.
Hes got 400whp and a bit more there once he gets his issue worked out. :thumb:

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 01:14 AM
You can see in the VID, once it finishes that I had a leak in my meth line that was leaking, see it blowing a fine mist near the passenger side? I just replaced the line.

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 01:16 AM
So to fix your problem I would modifiy the scroll (so it spools slower :( This is sorta "extreme" modification I know) so it can flow more exhaust gases and also do something to assist the actuator.

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Holy crap, is your BOV located right before your TB? Do your meth lines come before or after or just very close?

I would suggest moving the BOV before the intercooler cause it looks like you have a potential fireball!

Would have been freaking sick if you had a lit match sitting near the bov though...!!!

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 01:34 AM
holy crap! move that bov! lol
Car sounds awesome. :thumb:

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 01:48 AM
No, BOV is right after the compressor outlet. Lmao l! I need to move it

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Holy crap, is your BOV located right before your TB? Do your meth lines come before or after or just very close?

I would suggest moving the BOV before the intercooler cause it looks like you have a potential fireball!

Would have been freaking sick if you had a lit match sitting near the bov though...!!!

Nozzle is right before the TB so, way after the BOV

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 01:51 AM
What is venting from the bov then? looks like meth. lol

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 02:40 AM
hot air, LOL. Didn't notice it at the dyno but the camera surely picks it up. Oh well, I'll add it to the list if things to check. BTW, i was king of the dyno today! Out of all the cars I put down the most! There was a SRT-8 magnum that put down 370 and 8valve omni on big boost and nitrous. HOLSET TIII FTW!

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 03:07 AM
hot air, LOL. Didn't notice it at the dyno but the camera surely picks it up. Oh well, I'll add it to the list if things to check. BTW, i was king of the dyno today! Out of all the cars I put down the most! There was a SRT-8 magnum that put down 370 and 8valve omni on big boost and nitrous. HOLSET TIII FTW!

I have been messing with my shelby all night, and while on a little ride I thought about the bov thing... Figured it had to be hot air if it was that close to the comp. duh. lol I was trying to figure how meth was coming out of there. lol

Holset TIII FTMFW! :hail: And this is just the beginning for ya. Once you get all the bugs worked out, look out. :nod:

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Ahh man you are no fun. Move that BOV and throw a sparkplug on there. Maybe you can make a stack that goes though the hood for your dragon to breath fire :P

Gotta be fun to be king of the hill even when your car isn't running right!

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 12:09 PM

???

Thanks! At least I didn't break it Simon:eyebrows::amen:

It wasn't cause it wasn't possible, just had issues and wasn't able to work them out. If I had rented a dyno and had time I would have broke 400whp and then some. I learned a lot though.

The reason it blows open is because your exhaust gas backpresure is so high that it overcomes the force against the flapper. Backpressure goes up at RPM's increase because you have more exhaust flow.
I doubt the flapper is blowing open. I could hardly move that thing and I work out daily:D

I am running a turbo concepts 38mm external.

Did you have a good sized bleed after your grainger to let the pressure out of the line so the wg could close fast? I actually had to use a restrictor after my grainger when I was using one to get the boost not to fall off becuase the wg could open and close fast enough with the pressure still in the line. if that made sense. lol

This is what Brian and I were talking about and I think it is a major culprit in the boost spike issue. There is only that pin size hole that came with the Grainger. I will try that next and see what I get..

Ahh man you are no fun. Move that BOV and throw a sparkplug on there. Maybe you can make a stack that goes though the hood for your dragon to breath fire :P

Gotta be fun to be king of the hill even when your car isn't running right!

:banaride:

Shadow
04-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Did you have a good sized bleed after your grainger to let the pressure out of the line so the wg could close fast? I actually had to use a restrictor after my grainger when I was using one to get the boost not to fall off becuase the wg could open and close fast enough with the pressure still in the line.

Did you answer this? It sounds like the spring in your grainger was to strong for the boost you were running, graingers can be touchy like that, and matching the spring rate with the W/G can your running becomes a bit of an art. Nice #'s though, a little more fine tunning and you'll get there!

Shadow
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Guess I should have waited 1 more min. for the answer! lol

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Guess I should have waited 1 more min. for the answer! lol

:D

I was hoping you would chime in since we are running the same turbo. Did you have any issues with spiking? Did you port the WG hole? Are you running a profec bc? Some setups use the grainger and use it very well but, this turbo with the way everything is(holset can,un-ported hole,3in DP)may need a better BC for more consistancy.

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
My boost curve is just as flat with a grainger. The fancy controller in my car belongs to bansheenut.

Your exhaust gas pressure can easily be a 3:1 ratio to your boost pressure so you had over 100psi pressure in your exhaust manifold pushing against your flapper...thats 100 pounds of pressure on your probably 1" in area hole. if its bigger then there was even more pressure.
I think thats plenty to blow open.

My idea is that your actual boost level is 30+ because the grainger was cranked with an extra spring but the flapper was blowing open. The bleed also might be an issue. I know the bleed in my grainger is big enough that I gain about 1 psi boost even with the grainger totally backed off so there is no tension on the spring.

Shadow
04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
:D

I was hoping you would chime in since we are running the same turbo. Did you have any issues with spiking? Did you port the WG hole? Are you running a profec bc? Some setups use the grainger and use it very well but, this turbo with the way everything is(holset can,un-ported hole,3in DP)may need a better BC for more consistancy.

No issues with spiking, I'm running the Holset W/G actuator and I'm also running the boost solonoid that came with the turbo. It's connected to an AVCR EBC. I haven't ported the W/G hole, my street tune it 20 psi on pump and my minimum boost is 18. Only thing I noticed is when I open my 4" dump on my street tune it will boost creep too 25psi by the time I shift (6000-6500rpm) If I go through the full 3" it hold steady as a rock.

Ondonti
04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
I bet if you took the rpms higher you would creep even more. I think that backs up my idea about possible creep if he fixed the spike and ran low enough boost. Yours is hidden most of the time but for you its probably no big deal.

His TIII should end up reving much higher then 6400 too.

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Agreed about the grainger Vs. ebc. My curve was just as flat with my grainger, with the exception that it would make a couple more psi every gear.
I think its a combo of your wg blowing open and the small bleed hole in you grainger.

bansheenut420
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
No issues with spiking, I'm running the Holset W/G actuator and I'm also running the boost solonoid that came with the turbo. It's connected to an AVCR EBC. I haven't ported the W/G hole, my street tune it 20 psi on pump and my minimum boost is 18. Only thing I noticed is when I open my 4" dump on my street tune it will boost creep too 25psi by the time I shift (6000-6500rpm) If I go through the full 3" it hold steady as a rock.

Mine crept as much as 15 psi after 6k. Thats how I lifted my head. lol But thats fixed now.

Shadow
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I bet if you took the rpms higher you would creep even more. I think that backs up my idea about possible creep if he fixed the spike and ran low enough boost. Yours is hidden most of the time but for you its probably no big deal.

His TIII should end up reving much higher then 6400 too.

I've taken it as high as 7000rpm, but I'm getting a wierd fluctuation at around 6800rpm ever since I started running over 35psi with the Holset. Could be valve float, but for some reason I'm thinking my exhaust preasure is finally reaching levels that are possibly causing some cyl reversion. I'm going to test my valve springs, but I'm also going to put a gauge in the exhaust mani and see what kind of preasure I'm running at 38psi intake preasure. Boost stayed stable right to 6700 before it starts "breaking up" for lack of a better term.

Juggy
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I've taken it as high as 7000rpm, but I'm getting a wierd fluctuation at around 6800rpm ever since I started running over 35psi with the Holset. Could be valve float, but for some reason I'm thinking my exhaust preasure is finally reaching levels that are possibly causing some cyl reversion. I'm going to test my valve springs, but I'm also going to put a gauge in the exhaust mani and see what kind of preasure I'm running at 38psi intake preasure. Boost stayed stable right to 6700 before it starts "breaking up" for lack of a better term.

my car was breaking up and it turned out to be 3 bad guides, 2 intake and 1 exhaust

Shadow
04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
my car was breaking up and it turned out to be 3 bad guides, 2 intake and 1 exhaust

I'm calling it "breaking up" but it's actually more like a slight flutter. The head has bronze silicon guides, although, they've been going for 3 + years, prob only around 30 000 miles, but deff 250+ passes at the track. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind! :thumb:

rx2mazda
04-05-2009, 08:31 PM
With no boost controller and my cut-out closed(running through 2.5 no cat)I can run about 19lbs steady. Open the cut-out and it goes to about 25 on the street, 22 on the dyno. I never closed the cut-out on the Dyno to see what that did......"tunnel vision"lol. I did run the car on the way home with the grainger cranked down and the boost climbed past 30(no idea how far past)and stayed there until the IC hose blew off. I don't think the WG is blowing open, the spring in the Holset can is plenty strong to hold the pressures in the manifold at my levels IMHO but, if it is I will figure it out. Brent, my baseline pull was to 6500 to see how the curve was and after I saw what was going on, I didn't rev any harder. Hopefully I can get my issues figured out soon.

First things first though, my tranny sounds better/worse than turbo the way its whining. I can't take it anymore so I parked the car. Probably lost 20hp running through that POS, lol. Brian should be done my OBX Hybrid sometime this week. Thanks for all the input guys.

Ondonti
04-07-2009, 04:41 AM

Thats some crazy high exhaust backpressure but thats why I think his flapper can blow open because its not even hard to create 100+psi exhaust backpressure when you run 30+psi boost depending on your setup.

That grainger is probably set to 40+ type boost but the wastegate just blows open before it can get close.

Ondonti
04-07-2009, 04:41 AM

Thats some crazy high exhaust backpressure but thats why I think his flapper can blow open because its not even hard to create 100+psi exhaust backpressure when you run 30+psi boost depending on your setup.

That grainger is probably set to 40+ type boost but the wastegate just blows open before it can get close.
Remove the extra spring in the grainger for now!

Make things simple by eliminating possibilities.

rx2mazda
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Remove the extra spring in the grainger for now!

Make things simple by eliminating possibilities.

Shadow is running the same turbo and WG can throught a ported stocker and is able to run 38psi without the flapper blowing open. I am going to remove that extra spring and start over moving up in small increments.

Shadow
04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Shadow is running the same turbo and WG can throught a ported stocker and is able to run 38psi without the flapper blowing open. I am going to remove that extra spring and start over moving up in small increments.

That's just what I was going to bring up this morning when my internet decided to take a dump. The Holset W/G actuator is at least twice as strong as a big can T2. If I were to disconect my boost line I would spike past 40 psi in a heartbeat. The problem is the grainger, the spring is too stiff and holding the boost preasure too long. Then when it blows open (the grainger) you get a big boost drop. You need a softer spring that will react more smoothly to the boost preasure, then do the rest with a bleed after the grainger. If you need a little more, strech the spring, that way you can hold more boost without making the spring tention stiffer.

rx2mazda
04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
That's just what I was going to bring up this morning when my internet decided to take a dump. The Holset W/G actuator is at least twice as strong as a big can T2. If I were to disconect my boost line I would spike past 40 psi in a heartbeat. The problem is the grainger, the spring is too stiff and holding the boost preasure too long. Then when it blows open (the grainger) you get a big boost drop. You need a softer spring that will react more smoothly to the boost preasure, then do the rest with a bleed after the grainger. If you need a little more, strech the spring, that way you can hold more boost without making the spring tention stiffer.

:nod:The holset WG can is plenty stout and i'm sure thats not the issue. Pretty sure it's the double spring grainger with almost no bleed that is causing the problem. Anybody have a source for springs that they use or a place that I could go?

Ondonti
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
why dont you just use the stock spring for now and stretch it when you reach its limit as was suggested?

Shadow
04-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Do you have any of the colored restrictors that Chrysler used in the turbo vacum lines? Put a T between the grainger and W/G actuator. Start with a red restrictor (if you have one) I think that was the most common. Take the extra spring out of the grainger and back it off. Don't strech the spring unless you have to. Get it backed off to 10 psi and see how stable the boost is. Then slowly tighten the grainger till you reach your desired boost. If it starts spiking, back of the grainger, put in a larger bleed (I believe yellow is one of the bigger ones) and try again.

RJ138
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
This a great thread! Once I get a replacement clamp I will have a very similar setup to yours. I imagine I will have similar problems to what you are having now except I ported the wastegate hole out a little bit and have a TurboXS HP boost controller. So maybe those will help me a bit.

rx2mazda
04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Do you have any of the colored restrictors that Chrysler used in the turbo vacum lines? Put a T between the grainger and W/G actuator. Start with a red restrictor (if you have one) I think that was the most common. Take the extra spring out of the grainger and back it off. Don't strech the spring unless you have to. Get it backed off to 10 psi and see how stable the boost is. Then slowly tighten the grainger till you reach your desired boost. If it starts spiking, back of the grainger, put in a larger bleed (I believe yellow is one of the bigger ones) and try again.

Nope, I think I can track some down though or use welding tips. Thanks a lot, i'll report back after I have my boost issues sorted out.

This a great thread! Once I get a replacement clamp I will have a very similar setup to yours. I imagine I will have similar problems to what you are having now except I ported the wastegate hole out a little bit and have a TurboXS HP boost controller. So maybe those will help me a bit.

Thanks! Was Texas Core able to get that clamp for you?

I just ordered the nessasary parts from DevilsOwn to make my nozzles outside mount. It took about 20min to change the inside mount nozzle while the car was on the dyno and that was not cool:mad:. With this new setup I should be able to change nozzles in less that 2 minutes!

RJ138
04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Nope, I think I can track some down though or use welding tips. Thanks a lot, i'll report back after I have my boost issues sorted out.

Thanks! Was Texas Core able to get that clamp for you?

I just ordered the nessasary parts from DevilsOwn to make my nozzles outside mount. It took about 20min to change the inside mount nozzle while the car was on the dyno and that was not cool:mad:. With this new setup I should be able to change nozzles in less that 2 minutes!

Yeah they didn't have it, I am going to try bringing it into a local place on Friday since I have the day off. Otherwise I may try this clamp, if I remember the center section is around 3.5 inches (not really sure right now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170318953732

I picked up a used devilsown kit and it has the inside nozzles. They look like a pain in the ---. Where did you mount the pump and tank?

RJ138
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
For bleeds I have used vacuum connectors with a little hole drilled in them or even a vacuum tee with one of those electrical connectors that you squeeze to clamp. Just open it up enough to hit your desired boost. Cheap... haha

rx2mazda
04-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Where did you mount the pump and tank?

I'm using factory WW bottle and the pump is under the hood on the passenger side. If you look close enough you can see it.

rx2mazda
04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Here are the two dyno's for comparison. Dyno #1 is 50trim Dyno #2 is Holset both at around 25-26psi. holset did have a boost spike though. As you can see, Spool up and power bands between the two are very simular! I'd say the holset spools a LITTLE better than the 50trim and ramp up to boost is faster. Big difference is the 50 trim is approaching it's efficency limits and the holset is just getting into its' sweet spot @ said boost. If I had been able to hold my target boost(30+/-)to redline with the holset i'm sure we would be able to see easily on paper how the Holset out performs the 50trim and numbers north of 400whp...............

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/100_1407.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00412.jpg

2.216VTurbo
04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Very nice:clap: I love to see that 200-250WHP at 4K RPMS. Try finding another four cyl motor that does that. That set up must be super driveable and 'grunty':eyebrows:

bansheenut420
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Holset. FTW! :D

Pat
04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Holset. FTW! :D

Let's get that spike under control before we declare the winner. :)

It looks to me that the 50 trim is making more power at 6k+, isn't it?

bansheenut420
04-08-2009, 06:16 PM

I was joking. :P
I do believe you could be right, but, the holset is just getting into is happy spot. Once he gets the issues worked out, the power will be there. I couldnt tune my car for anything with a boost spike (more like massive creep but) now that its worked out, its noticeably better, and the a/f is pretty damn flat. I look at this as his prelim dyno. lol Since he is the first of us to make it to the dyno. :o

rx2mazda
04-08-2009, 06:24 PM

Well, don't forget that with the 50trim I wasn't having these issues and I was running 50/50 alky water with the a/f's at around 11.8 IIRC at redline. The Holset with 100% meth was way under 10:1 by 6000rpms............HOLSET FTW!!!! Time to get you one Pat, lmao.

rx2mazda
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I was joking. :P
I do believe you could be right, but, the holset is just getting into is happy spot. Once he gets the issues worked out, the power will be there. I couldnt tune my car for anything with a boost spike (more like massive creep but) now that its worked out, its noticeably better, and the a/f is pretty damn flat. I look at this as his prelim dyno. lol Since he is the first of us to make it to the dyno. :o

So, your tuning now?:clap:

rx2mazda
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Very nice:clap: I love to see that 200-250WHP at 4K RPMS. Try finding another four cyl motor that does that. That set up must be super driveable and 'grunty':eyebrows:

So fun to drive! :nod:

Pat
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, don't forget that with the 50trim I wasn't having these issues and I was running 50/50 alky water with the a/f's at around 11.8 IIRC at redline. The Holset with 100% meth was way under 10:1 by 6000rpms............HOLSET FTW!!!! Time to get you one Pat, lmao.

DOH! Pat FTL! :D

bansheenut420
04-08-2009, 11:42 PM
So, your tuning now?:clap:

nooo.. Last time around. My head will be going on the flow bench tomorrow for the exhaust side. Then next week (hopefully) it will go to the machine shop for the valve job and the backcutting of the valves and stems. Then, I slap i back together and the fun begins again.

rx2mazda
04-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Car is OUT OF SERVICE:mecry:

Something with the tranny/clutch/TO bearing. At first I thought it was the tranny which has been holding on since I got it(whine in every gear) but, now I think it might be the clutch or PP. At any rate, I won't do anything to it until my OBX Hybrid is ready which should be soon. It started getting harder to shift earlier in the day and later on the way home I had to really jam it in gears. Then weird stuff started happening with the clutch pedal......it started getting stiffer like I almost couldn't push it in and when I would go to take off there was no play, as soon as I started letting off the clutch it would just engage and the car would jump. Eventually, I had to turn the car off to get in gear, the clutch felt like it would not disengage. When I put it in gear and started the car it would start rolling without me even letting off the clutch. Car now vibrates, almost like a miss, when the car is idling in neutral.

On another note.......I got around to fixing my DB-9 cable so, now I will be able to datalog again. That will be a help when I try to dial my boost settings in. First things first though.

rx2mazda
04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
nooo.. Last time around. My head will be going on the flow bench tomorrow for the exhaust side. Then next week (hopefully) it will go to the machine shop for the valve job and the backcutting of the valves and stems. Then, I slap i back together and the fun begins again.

Hurry up! lol

Has anyone found good numbers to use when back-cutting the lotus valves? If so, please share. Thanks!

bansheenut420
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Hurry up! lol

Has anyone found good numbers to use when back-cutting the lotus valves? If so, please share. Thanks!

I will let you know what we pick up. I am pretty much going to tell the guy go as radical as he can. Jackson gave me a few ideas too. I will let you know. Head goes back to the bench tuesday and then will be going to the machine shop.

rx2mazda
04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Update:

Got my car back and it is running great with the new OBX Hybrid tranny! Stock tranny was fine and it was the clutch that was the culprit. TU 4-puck with yellow plate came apart in about 4 pieces. Rivets were missing. Chris was very good with getting me out a new clutch asap, same 4-puck w/yellow plate. Still waiting for his clutch guy to get back to him with the "reason" for the failure. Clutch had about 8K miles and was never abused or driven on the track and gave me no other problem until it came apart.

I removed my cruise control today and got my A/C working again, this time with R-134a. Also redid my G-valve using a welding tip to try and stabalize my boost spike. It may be awhile before I really test it though.

iTurbo
04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Congrats, I have a recently rebuilt A568 w/OBX (3:50FD) from Cliff in one of my Spirit R/Ts and it is by far the smoothest shifting trans I have ever used. Now that I think of it it has about 45k miles, but it has always worked great. The steering wheel is still a little 'heavier' feeling than my other cars but the OBX hasn't given me any trouble at all. I have another one just like it with 3:77FD waiting for my next project.

Did you have any issues with installing the axles into the diff on yours? The driver side on mine was fine but I barely got the intermediate shaft back in. Mine also made a high pitch squealing noise for the first 50 miles, particularly when turning. It almost felt like the diff was locked? It went away though, and has been fine since. I'm hoping I don't have too much trouble taking the intermediate shaft back out next time.

rx2mazda
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Congrats, I have a recently rebuilt A568 w/OBX (3:50FD) from Cliff in one of my Spirit R/Ts and it is by far the smoothest shifting trans I have ever used. Now that I think of it it has about 45k miles, but it has always worked great. The steering wheel is still a little 'heavier' feeling than my other cars but the OBX hasn't given me any trouble at all. I have another one just like it with 3:77FD waiting for my next project.

Did you have any issues with installing the axles into the diff on yours? The driver side on mine was fine but I barely got the intermediate shaft back in. Mine also made a high pitch squealing noise for the first 50 miles, particularly when turning. It almost felt like the diff was locked? It went away though, and has been fine since. I'm hoping I don't have too much trouble taking the intermediate shaft back out next time.

Couldn't answer the axle question since I had someone else do the on my car for the first time. Dropped it off, picked it up, no problems:amen: If I had more time I would have done it but I need to work too. lol

Any track abuse on your obx?

iTurbo
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Nope, nearest track is over 100 miles from here so I don't go often. I would say 95% of the 45k miles were pizza delivery though; not exactly the easiest life for a car.

rx2mazda
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Good news.....NO MORE BOOST ISSUES!

Took the extra spring out of my grainger and added a tee with a .023 welding tip. Boost is rock steady around 23-24psi with no spikes whatsoever. It did creep up a bit to 25 by the time I was around 6K, I am going to try the .030 welding tip and change nothing else and see if that settles it. Then, i'm gonna turn it up to 30psi and see how she behaves.:thumb:Thanks to everyone who has been sticking around reading this thread and offering their advice, it has really helped! 400+ WHP is just a couple twist of the grainger away.:nod:

I also removed the Cruise control since I never used it and I wanted to clean up the engine bay some more. Looks just a bit more "clean" now. Went zip tie crazy also just cleaning up the underhood appearance. Changed my injection nozzle to outside mount so it will be alot easier to change. And, i'm doing IC measurements. Want to see if/how I can fit this Precision 825 in the nose of my R/T.:eyebrows:

Pat
05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Good news.....NO MORE BOOST ISSUES!

Took the extra spring out of my grainger and added a tee with a .023 welding tip. Boost is rock steady around 23-24psi with no spikes whatsoever. It did creep up a bit to 25 by the time I was around 6K, I am going to try the .030 welding tip and change nothing else and see if that settles it. Then, i'm gonna turn it up to 30psi and see how she behaves.:thumb:Thanks to everyone who has been sticking around reading this thread and offering their advice, it has really helped! 400+ WHP is just a couple twist of the grainger away.:nod:

I also removed the Cruise control since I never used it and I wanted to clean up the engine bay some more. Looks just a bit more "clean" now. Went zip tie crazy also just cleaning up the underhood appearance. Changed my injection nozzle to outside mount so it will be alot easier to change. And, i'm doing IC measurements. Want to see if/how I can fit this Precision 825 in the nose of my R/T.:eyebrows:

Sweet! You getting to a dyno or track anytime soon?

rx2mazda
05-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Sweet! You getting to a dyno or track anytime soon?

Yeah I was talking to Brian and he was saying he might go to Cecil on the 9th, probably head up there then. You gonna roll?

Pat
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah I was talking to Brian and he was saying he might go to Cecil on the 9th, probably head up there then. You gonna roll?

I'm thinking about Mopars at Englishtown. I've been once before and it was worth the trip. If I can get up there, I may just spectate though. I can't blow up my ticking timebomb of a motor before GRM!

Turbo3Iroc
05-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I'll atleast drive down for the day. Not sure if im ready to try racing it again.

rx2mazda
05-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Did my first two wheel burnout in my car! I'm lovin the OBX.........rain rain go away.

bansheenut420
05-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Did my first two wheel burnout in my car! I'm lovin the OBX.........rain rain go away.

WOOT glad to hear. VIDEOS please, once the rain stops anyway. :thumb:

Ondonti
05-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Just FYI, I took apart the outside mount nozzles that Bansheenut got, they are exactly the same as the old style, just easier to remove. I was expecting something different I guess after reading the description. At least now I won't be so jealous. + told yah ;)

rx2mazda
05-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Great day at the track today! Finally got to run my R/T down the 1320 and man was it fun. I am very happy with the numbers given a few issues that still need to be worked out. First run was just a test run, nice and easy out the hole with a 3.0 60' time:confused: Here' s the breakdown:

1st run....

R/T - .721
60' - 3.053
330 - 7.21
1/8th - 10.13 @ 82.45
1000 - 12.909
1/4 - 15.108 @ 103.40

2nd pass (first real pass)

R/T - .294
60' - 1.814
330 - 5.356
1/8th - 8.304 @ 86.55
1000 - 10.821
1/4 - 12.999 @ 104.02

^^^^Officially in the 12's :nod: Car felt super strong coming out of the hole with the 23 M+H's set to 11psi.

3rd run and BEST made at 23lbs.:thumb:

R/T - .084
60' - 1.752 :thumb:
330' - 5.189
1/8th - 8.066 @ 88.79
1000' - 10.53
1/4 - 12.642 @ 107.82

Car felt really good coming out of the hole on all the runs then once I get into the longer gears(3rd-4th)it falls off and a/f's richen to the 9's:( I think that reflects in my MPH too. This further backs my theory that my IC is holding me back. Just gets heat soaked and can't keep up, also the fact that I don't have an intake so, the turbo is pulling hot air right from the back of the engine. Jackson was trapping consistent 115mph with this same set-up except he was running a better IC. It was also hot as hell at the track today and I had over a half of tank of gas(thanks to my crazy best friend). Okay i'm done making excuses............it was a great day and other personal best were set by Brian Slowe(9's baby!!)and Mike Marra(10's baby!!!!)

THanks if you made it this far!!!

Pat
05-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice job!

Did you get a look at the EGT's in 4th? Even with the A/F in the 9's.

BadAssPerformance
05-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice runs! :thumb:

Post up your best ET! Link in my sig :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Thats awesome man, :hail::hail::hail::hail:

Glad to know my time and mph is close to yours, so if your making 400 whp, then, :partywoot: :amen:

Lotashelbys
05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Ya the I/C is whats holding you back now. I might have to hook you up with that triple core we were running. Also when we were getting the 114-115 traps it was like 60 degrees out at night........

After seeing what you just did with the HE531 and a full bodied Spirit R/T on slicks I cant wait to get my 500 HP monster togther and to the track:thumb:

rx2mazda
05-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Nice job!

Did you get a look at the EGT's in 4th? Even with the A/F in the 9's.

Thanks Pat! I didn't look at the egt's much on the later runs. On my best run, IIRC it was in the 1300's.

Nice runs! :thumb:

Post up your best ET! Link in my sig :thumb:

Thanks! will do:thumb:

Thats awesome man, :hail::hail::hail::hail:

Glad to know my time and mph is close to yours, so if your making 400 whp, then, :partywoot: :amen:

Thanks Simon. on my best run the boost was at 23lbs so i doubt 400whp.

Ya the I/C is whats holding you back now. I might have to hook you up with that triple core we were running. Also when we were getting the 114-115 traps it was like 60 degrees out at night........

After seeing what you just did with the HE531 and a full bodied Spirit R/T on slicks I cant wait to get my 500 HP monster togther and to the track:thumb:

Yup, full body, full weight including power windows, seat, doors, heavy rims and A/C:amen: If I could have ran good the length of the track I think I could have got very deep into the 12's maybe an 11.99. I should have made more runs before it got so damn hot. I would love to get Brian's old 3core IC from you, call me asap with details. Thanks Homie.

bansheenut420
05-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Great day at the track today! Finally got to run my R/T down the 1320 and man was it fun. I am very happy with the numbers given a few issues that still need to be worked out. First run was just a test run, nice and easy out the hole with a 3.0 60' time:confused: Here' s the breakdown:

1st run....

R/T - .721
60' - 3.053
330 - 7.21
1/8th - 10.13 @ 82.45
1000 - 12.909
1/4 - 15.108 @ 103.40

2nd pass (first real pass)

R/T - .294
60' - 1.814
330 - 5.356
1/8th - 8.304 @ 86.55
1000 - 10.821
1/4 - 12.999 @ 104.02

^^^^Officially in the 12's :nod: Car felt super strong coming out of the hole with the 23 M+H's set to 11psi.

R/T - .084
330' - 5.189
1/8th - 8.066 @ 88.79
1000' - 10.53
1/4 - 12.642 @ 107.82

Car felt really good coming out of the hole on all the runs then once I get into the longer gears(3rd-4th)it falls off and a/f's richen to the 9's:( I think that reflects in my MPH too. This further backs my theory that my IC is holding me back. Just gets heat soaked and can't keep up, also the fact that I don't have an intake so, the turbo is pulling hot air right from the back of the engine. Jackson was trapping consistent 115mph with this same set-up except he was running a better IC. It was also hot as hell at the track today and I had over a half of tank of gas(thanks to my crazy best friend). Okay i'm done making excuses............it was a great day and other personal best were set by Brian Slowe(9's baby!!)and Mike Marra(10's baby!!!!)

THanks if you made it this far!!!

WOOT! Another one in the 12s! :amen::thumb: Nice work! Get that trap speed up some. 107 is short on power for a 400whp car, you know its got lots more in it! CONGRATS!
Where is the video. :p
And that settles it, I am slapping my stock head/stock cam spare head on the rt and getting it going just so I can play now. lol Then when onditty racing finishes up the head, I can get crazy. :nod:

Congrats again Carroll!

rx2mazda
05-23-2009, 08:17 PM
WOOT! Another one in the 12s! :amen::thumb: Nice work! Get that trap speed up some. 107 is short on power for a 400whp car, you know its got lots more in it! CONGRATS!
Where is the video. :p
And that settles it, I am slapping my stock head/stock cam spare head on the rt and getting it going just so I can play now. lol Then when onditty racing finishes up the head, I can get crazy. :nod:

Congrats again Carroll!

Thanks! Vid is very shaky so I might not post it. You should have been put that head on!!!:nod: BTW............23lbs=<400whp

turbo2point2
05-24-2009, 12:06 AM

R/T - .084
330' - 5.189
1/8th - 8.066 @ 88.79
1000' - 10.53
1/4 - 12.642 @ 107.82

Awesome Carroll!! Well done:thumb: Get some cool air to that thing, it works wonders;) I have to agree that the I/C is killing your car. Keep up the good work:thumb:

Turbo3Iroc
05-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice runs Carroll. Looks like you got the 60's down pretty quick. Your first time on slicks?

Pat
05-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks Pat! I didn't look at the egt's much on the later runs. On my best run, IIRC it was in the 1300's.

You're drowning that thing! I've found in my T-III's that an over rich condition really kills power. I don't know where your meth is set to go full on, but the closer you have it set to 23 psi to go full on, the more likely it is you're pumping the same amount of meth at 23 psi than you are at 29 psi. To keep it closer to running a nice A/F through the boost range, you need to have it go full on just as it hits whatever your max boost is going to be

Your IC may be some of the issue, but I don't think it's holding you back as much as you think just yet. There's still more power to be had at the lower boost levels by fixing the fueling.

By the way, I'm still digging your ST's! Feels good, doesn't it?

CaptMoe
05-24-2009, 07:53 AM
That's awesome Carroll. Congrats...

rx2mazda
05-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Awesome Carroll!! Well done:thumb: Get some cool air to that thing, it works wonders;)

:eyebrows:

Nice runs Carroll. Looks like you got the 60's down pretty quick. Your first time on slicks?

Thanks Kelly! First time on slicks in FWD car. Took no time at all, i'm kind of a big deal,, lmao.

You're drowning that thing! I've found in my T-III's that an over rich condition really kills power. I don't know where your meth is set to go full on, but the closer you have it set to 23 psi to go full on, the more likely it is you're pumping the same amount of meth at 23 psi than you are at 29 psi. To keep it closer to running a nice A/F through the boost range, you need to have it go full on just as it hits whatever your max boost is going to be

Your IC may be some of the issue, but I don't think it's holding you back as much as you think just yet. There's still more power to be had at the lower boost levels by fixing the fueling.

By the way, I'm still digging your ST's! Feels good, doesn't it?

Nah. I should have been more clear on the egt's.....That was coming thru the traps in 4th. Through 1,2 and the beginning of third the A/F's were near perfect mid 11's and then they started dropping. There's no way to compensate for a IC losing it's efficiency mid run with this methanol injection. I would have turned the meth off and ran the c16 I brought but, I let my best friend drive to the store the night before and he decides to put 20$ in my tank:(....I wasn't going to throw 5 gallons of c16 into over a half a tank of gas. I have the start set at 18-19 lbs(where I start seeing KR on pump gas)and full on at 30lbs. Let's face it, this IC was not designed/made to pull a 3400lbs car with 20+psi down the 1320'. Once I get a good IC that stays consistent down the track I will be able to really fine tune the rest. I'm gonna work on a good intake for the turbo as well.

ST's felt AWESOME!!! I'm so addicted to 1.75 60's:nod: I cut three 1.7 yesterday.

That's awesome Carroll. Congrats...

Thanks Moe:thumb:

2.216VTurbo
05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Crickey Carroll! 1.75 in a full weight Spirit on a 23" slick:hail: Daaamn dude nice driving:thumb: What is your launch technique? I remember that you put in an OBX this year but what clutch are you using again? Nice job squeaking into the 12's too:D

rx2mazda
05-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Crickey Carroll! 1.75 in a full weight Spirit on a 23" slick:hail: Daaamn dude nice driving:thumb: What is your launch technique? I remember that you put in an OBX this year but what clutch are you using again? Nice job squeaking into the 12's too:D

Thanks Alan!

Launch technique? Uhh, same as always....drive it like you stole it. I was leaving at like 6K with 11psi in the slicks and the car was just hooking like a mofo:banaride: My last run I launched around 5k and the car bogged a little and ran a 1.9 60'. Scary thing is the slicks were brand new and they still have the hairs on them after the abuse. I think once they get broken in really good I can cut a low 1.7-1.69, I would be really stoked with that.

OBX with 3.77 gears and TU 4-puck w/yellow plate FTW!

I want to say a special THANK YOU to Chris at TU for not only making but, standing behind such a great product. When my last clutch went south Chris was right there with great customer service and genuine concern! He helped me get back up in no time! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 6K launches on slicks in a 3400lbs car and not the slightest slip w/1.7 60'!!!:clap:

EDIT: 12.6 is squekings!!! LOL

Ondonti
05-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Your car is really doing well on the short track!
I only got 89mph 1/8th on my 117mph shakedown pass.
I think its best to build up to your potential then try to live it all out your first attempt.

Shadow
05-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Major props to you mango! :thumb: Some nice short times there! :nod:

rx2mazda
05-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Your car is really doing well on the short track!
I only got 89mph 1/8th on my 117mph shakedown pass.
I think its best to build up to your potential then try to live it all out your first attempt.

Yeah, until the top of third and then the A/C in the cylinder party quits working and all the players leave:D

Major props to you mango! :thumb: Some nice short times there! :nod:

:thumb:

Not bad eh'

rx2mazda
05-25-2009, 03:09 AM
I decided to upload the only vid I had even though it's very shaky. This run was later in the day and not my best, still a 1.7 60'. BTW, my suspension is completely shot, it's actually pretty unsafe on the road. You can see how bad when i'm shifting. New suspension is going on this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtXhc8EnS_Y

bansheenut420
05-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Damn good short times man! :thumb: Way to drive it. You get that top end worked out, and damn that thing is going to MOVE.

contraption22
05-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Awesome Caroll! Very nice work! And to repeat what brian already said, get some cool air into that turbo!

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2009, 07:25 PM
What's ST? :confused:

Shadow
05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
What's ST? :confused:

Short Time = 60'

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Short Time = 60'

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I thought it was some type of slick or DR, :lol:

rx2mazda
05-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I thought it was some type of slick or DR, :lol:

Simon didn't know an abbreviation?! I've seen it all :D

rx2mazda
05-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Looks like I've taken care of another problem. My turbo has no intake so it pulls air right from behind the tranny and behind the head.....not optimal, I know but there's not room for it unless you can pie cut and weld something to fit(which will be happening soon!). Anyways, I was just running this go-cart filter that I got from Jackson when I bought the turbo and I thought it was fine.....at first. I did notice that's my turbo surges a little under light boost when you let off the gas....that surge you get when a restrictive intake is on the compressor and it can't relieve fast enough. Been there since I got the set-up on but I was too lazy to fix it.

The day before the track I was cleaning out some stuff for my aunt and she had this old screen door she was trashing so I took part of the screen out and had plans to take that sock off my turbo and run the screen......I never got around to doing it that day. At the track after my 2nd run, I tried to change it to the screen but the bolt on the worm clamp was on the bottom of the compressor at it was to hot to reach it so I left it alone. Boost on my 12.6 run was 23lbs rock solid, I tried to turn it up twice after runs and it only went to 24-25lbs max.

Sunday, I changed the thing to the screen, went out and floored it and the boost shot up past 30! No more part throttle surge either :) I guess that sock was a lot more restriction than I thought!!!!

bansheenut420
05-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Good to hear. Now you gonna have to go back to the track! :D

turboshad
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Great numbers. +1 on the ST for your first time out with slicks. I only hope I can pull somethig like that off. Today was the first day out this spring for the Shadow and I probalby won't race until after SDAC, but threads like this make me anxious. I'm sure you are itching to get back after discovering a problem like that.

DJ

contraption22
05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Great numbers. +1 on the ST for your first time out with slicks. I only hope I can pull somethig like that off. Today was the first day out this spring for the Shadow and I probalby won't race until after SDAC, but threads like this make me anxious. I'm sure you are itching to get back after discovering a problem like that.

DJ

Why AFTER SDAC? Are you bringing it down?

turboshad
05-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Why AFTER SDAC? Are you bringing it down?

That's the plan, and I would be something choked if I broke something that kept that from happening just because I couldn't wait another month to race it. :D

rx2mazda
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Small update:

Installed a Odyssey battery last week to make room for new 3 core IC and pipes and 4" aluminum intake piping. I was originally gonna move my battery to the back which is conter-productive on a FWD and also includes buying/wiring new cables, an approved vented battery box, fuses, etc etc. I Used a PC680 which is about 1/4 the size of the factory mopar battery and since I was able to lay it flat, took up even less space. I cut the stock battery tray just about in half and the new battery laid down like it was meant to be there. Didn't have to change terminals or anything. Actually worked out better because the Odyssey battery has the post for the big terminals and the tops are screw in so I put my relay terminals there. Made a custom battery tie-down out of a plate from a A-543 I had taken apart to do my hybrid. Made some cuts and bends, painted it black and slapped on the sticker that came with the battery and used the hole that was in the battery tray for the stock tie-down. I am happy with how it turned out. If I need more room, I can always stand the battery up and move it closer to the fender/computer area but I don't think that will be needed as I have tons more space to work with without that big stock battery sticking in the way. Car cranks and starts just like I never changed a thing. Said battery has 680 ccA and is backed with a nice 3 year warranty.:thumb:

Sorry bout the crappy cell phone pics:o

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0065.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0066.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/IMG_0067.jpg

Hopefully I have time to put my new suspension set-up on tomorrow. For those that didn't see my post/sticky in the suspension section, I will be installing modified Subaru Impreza KYB AGX adjustable struts with eibach springs and ALL new polybushings from Jhonny. I will update this thread once its all together! Stay tuned.....

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38269

Shadow
06-01-2009, 07:47 PM
How much does the battery weigh? Looks good! :thumb:

rx2mazda
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM
How much does the battery weigh? Looks good! :thumb:

thanks!

Product Dimensions: 7.2 x 3 x 6.6 inches ; 14.2 pounds. 6-10 year service life

rx2mazda
06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Got my 3-core IC installed a few days ago:clap2: All my aluminum piping, silicon couplers and t-bolt are here so now I just need to get the piping cut, welded and run. I planned on painting it black to keep with my sleeper look but it is growing on me as is..........LOOKS MEAN! I think this will get me in the 11's or very close to it............at least I hope.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00522.jpg

IC is big as a mofo! As you can see, I had to lose my factory hood latch and switch to hood pins:mad: The ones pictured are temporary, I will be switching to aerocatch locking hood pins when I get the money/time.......http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm

I'll post some more pics when it's all together.

CaptMoe
06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Hood pins? There goes your sleeper look...:D

Nice work man...

rx2mazda
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
No one I race ever sees me hood......;)

once I get my new flush mount hood latches it won't even be noticeable.

contraption22
06-11-2009, 09:52 PM
I like that! And i like those hood pins too.

rx2mazda
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I like that! And i like those hood pins too.

Thanks MIke:thumb:

bansheenut420
06-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Looks excellent as always man! :thumb: Cant wait to see some more pics.
If that dont get you into the 11's on its own, it will get your real close. Then your just a twist of a knob away from 11's for sure. :D

turbo2point2
06-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Nice Carroll! I will make a suggestion.. never keep your hood pins in your pocket after going through tech at the track. Those aerocatch latches look sweet.

Pat
06-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Looking good. Are you going to pipe around the AC still or is the AC going bye bye?

rx2mazda
06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Looks excellent as always man! :thumb: Cant wait to see some more pics.
If that dont get you into the 11's on its own, it will get your real close. Then your just a twist of a knob away from 11's for sure. :D

Thanks man! thats the plan..

Nice Carroll! I will make a suggestion.. never keep your hood pins in your pocket after going through tech at the track. Those aerocatch latches look sweet.

Why, I thought having your hood pop up mid track and blinding you was the most fun you had at the track?? :lol: Thanks Brian! Get the TIG warmed up, i'm thinking Monday if your free

Looking good. Are you going to pipe around the AC still or is the AC going bye bye?

A/C is staying for now even though it quit working:mad: After I made this hole, I realized I had plenty room for 3inch pipe:banghead:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00523.jpg

mark
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
when i got my r/t it had the condenser already removed, i didnt care the a/c didnt work so I removed the compressor and put on the smaller fiero serp belt. it made piping my IC super easy. I made a small bracket to stabilize the radiator.

i'd like to thank rx2mazda for his posts and knowlege share. I was borderline keeping my r/t but its not leaving anytime soon now.

I got a lot of work this summer to do. car runs good as-is. but it can do better.

rx2mazda
06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
when i got my r/t it had the condenser already removed, i didnt care the a/c didnt work so I removed the compressor and put on the smaller fiero serp belt. it made piping my IC super easy. I made a small bracket to stabilize the radiator.

i'd like to thank rx2mazda for his posts and knowlege share. I was borderline keeping my r/t but its not leaving anytime soon now.

I got a lot of work this summer to do. car runs good as-is. but it can do better.

Thanks for the kind words Mark, its nothing really:D

rx2mazda
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Couple things.

Got the IC piping installed and MAN did it turn out perfect! I can't stop opening my hood, lol. Got the piping cut and mocked up like I wanted it and then headed to my buddy Brian's shop so he could TIG it up for me.....he did an awesome job as usual. HUGE thanks to you Brian for staying after work and helping me out, I owe you big time(beers @ PINKS this weekend!!!!). After getting it all installed I took a scotch brite pad to the aluminum to clean it up and give it the brushed aluminum finish, it turned out really good so I did the same to the IC. As far as performance, I can't tell you guys fully what it did but I can tell you this, I need a bigger meth nozzle. Tried to do a 3rd gear pull and it started leaning out up top, I let off when I saw 13:1. Guess the motor is breathing a lot better now:clap: For those that don't know, the IC is 3 stock R/T cores welded together with custom end tanks and 3inch in/out. This IC has seen 9second passes so it should be all I need. Also, I will be switching to a full length radiator from a V6 car now that I have room for it. Drilled some holes in my strut cover and put a rubber grommet so I could adjust the Scooby struts easily. Here are some pics!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00530.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00529.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00526.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00534.jpg

I was really holding off on getting new VC gaskets since they are priced higher than platinum per ounce:mad: I decided to take one of my old gaskets and head to the pick and pull to see if there was anything else that was close enough to make work. It wasn't looking good for awhile(bout a hour)and then I found one that I thought I could work with. Got the info and headed to parts store for a new 2-pack, $16.00:amen: Here's how it looked.

stock on stock..........
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00537.jpg

stocks side-by-side.....
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00539.jpg

close-up.......
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00538.jpg

The R/T gasket is a little shorter than the new one so I cut the new one and and used Blue Silicon RTV to join it back after removing some material. The stock gasket rides in a machined groove in the VC, this one doesn't. It's wider and flatter(DUH)so the VC just pushes down on both sides creating the seal that way. Sorry no pics on the car, my camera battery died. I'll see how it holds up after some time and report back.

Cut.......

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00540.jpg

Curing.........

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00541.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00542.jpg

turbo2point2
06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
HUGE thanks to you Brian for staying after work and helping me out, I owe you big time(beers @ PINKS this weekend!!!!).

You're quite welcome. I'm glad we were able to knock it out pretty quick. Now, to get that baby back to the track to see how she goes:thumb:

p.s. looking forward to the weekend;)

2.216VTurbo
06-16-2009, 11:47 PM
You know Carroll, I know the piping and IC are 'as much as you will ever need' type stuff and I love speed parts but mostly, I can't get over how nice and clean your engine bay is:hail: It's almost dissapointing to see a 9 second car that looks like a bomb went off underhood. You know, the faster your car is, the uglier it can be... Going the other way your car could run 15's and still be sweet in my book:clap:

bansheenut420
06-17-2009, 01:13 AM
DAMN! :hail: nice work! Bet you will have some sick(er) numbers to back it all up here real soon. Keep up the damn fine work.

p.s. my rt will be up and running this weekend. stock head, but running. :D

rx2mazda
06-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Yp.s. looking forward to the weekend;)

Fast cars, beers and eye candy.......what more could you ask for:amen:

rx2mazda
06-17-2009, 10:41 AM
You know Carroll, I know the piping and IC are 'as much as you will ever need' type stuff and I love speed parts but mostly, I can't get over how nice and clean your engine bay is:hail: It's almost dissapointing to see a 9 second car that looks like a bomb went off underhood. You know, the faster your car is, the uglier it can be... Going the other way your car could run 15's and still be sweet in my book:clap:

Thanks a lot Alan, thats one of the nicest post so far:grouphug:. In all honesty, i'm trying to keep up with your GLHS:clap:

rx2mazda
06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
DAMN! :hail: nice work! Bet you will have some sick(er) numbers to back it all up here real soon. Keep up the damn fine work.

p.s. my rt will be up and running this weekend. stock head, but running. :D

Thank you sir! Numbers would be nice.:amen:

rx2mazda
06-17-2009, 10:58 AM
It really is time to get the engine done. Pretty soon this motor will have over 200K on it:eek: I'm not sure how it has lasted this long or if it has an 11 second pass on it's "things to do before I die list". I guess we will see. I really don't have the money right now to rebuild it the way I want........4-bolt mains, chamfered crank, JE's, ported big valve head, staged cams etc etc. My goal with this car has always been 11seconds, I think that would be fast enough for a full weight daily driven Spirit R/T with A/C. I think if she holds together I can reach those goals as is. Either way, it looks like this Thread is coming to the end.:((or slowing way down)There is one last thing I want to do before I run it again and that's upgrade the PCV system. I'll post that and some times soon

over and out

CaptMoe
06-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Fast cars, beers and eye candy.......what more could you ask for:amen:

No honey, Carroll meant cotton candy. They sell it at all the tracks.
Can I still go to the track this weekend babe?

:lol:

turboshad
06-17-2009, 04:40 PM
+1 to the clean engine. There's no reason short of a little time why you can't go fast and look good doing it. Keep it up. :clap:

Are you coming to SDAC? If not you should. :eyebrows:

rx2mazda
06-17-2009, 05:05 PM
No honey, Carroll meant cotton candy. They sell it at all the tracks.
Can I still go to the track this weekend babe?

:lol:

uhh, yeah..I mean cotton candy!:lol:

+1 to the clean engine. There's no reason short of a little time why you can't go fast and look good doing it. Keep it up. :clap:

Are you coming to SDAC? If not you should. :eyebrows:

Thanks! I'm trying to get off so I can come all weekend. If I can't, I'll fly in Monday to support Brian, Mike, Kelly and all the other east coast guys at the track.

rx2mazda
07-15-2009, 07:27 PM
My new catch can set-up........

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00595.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00594.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rx2mazda/DSC00593.jpg

yes, the tank is custom made and baffled, no, the valve covers aren't baffled. I've got on it pretty hard(25psi)while giving some guys rides at carlisle and a few times on the street. No oil in the sight tube yet. Still gotta change the - post to match the +

EDIT:I am going to add a port on the tank for the factory block tube. Just couldn't weld the an fitting to it(the block)with it in the car, my electrics wouldn't be happy.

turbovanmanČ
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice catch can, :thumb: