PDA

View Full Version : Heater core on a 91 Tona ES 2.5 TBI

Dodge Aries K
03-25-2006, 12:23 AM
I think my heater core has a very slight leak of some sort. The windows fog up when the heat is on and you can also smell antifreeze. However, when the heat lever is on cold and the fan on the smell isn't there. The floor isn't getting wet or anything and it appears that I'm not loosing coolant to a noticible degree.

Any suggestions? I'm a bit worried about ripping apart the dashboard so if someone has a writeup for one of these or any other ideas please let me know. Thanks! :)

deuce dodge
03-25-2006, 07:34 AM
sounds like heater core.......:(

if the car is a trailer baby and only for the track you can remove heater core....

if its a daily driver ....fix now....it will only sneak up on you at the most inaprotune moment.

deuce

Xtrempickup
03-25-2006, 08:45 AM
i have been driving my 92 without heat all yr. its not fun if your winters are very cold, i drove my tona in the 20s already. worst is that the defog doesnt work. i just connect the two heater hoses with a T and now its a closed system and no more leaks or anything, but also, no heat

Turbodave
03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
It certainly sounds like the heater core. We were able to get a couple years out of one that leaked like you described in an old Chevy truck by dropping a tube of aluma-seal in the radiator every few months. It works, but makes a mess of the coolant passageways and everything else it touches. The proper way to fix it would be to pull the dash and replace the heater core.

jckrieger
03-25-2006, 12:45 PM
This post makes me feel lucky that my heater cores plug up before leaking. If you're just not getting good heat, hook up one of those flush kits and blow the core out in both directions. You'd be amazed at the difference it makes.