PDA

View Full Version : Well, well, well,

85_600
03-24-2006, 10:19 PM
For those of you who don't remember me, I bought Bryan's (Yogurtslinger) 1985 600 last November. After fighting to cure a stumble issue it was found out that my compression was all over the board (150,90,125,120)...When I posted about this Bryan got wind of it and offered to buy it back. He even gave me a $300 downpayment.
As it turns out he is not going to buy it back. So, I'm still in the TurboDodge world :thumb: He even is sending a small $$ amount to compensate me for my lost time on this deal :thumb:

So, look for more posts from me as I dive into replacing pistons with the engine in the car (if that's possible) and all the questions related to that. I've only done this once on a 1963 Triumph Spitfire, and that was back in the early 80's. I've never done anything like this before so PLEASE bare with me on this new venture.

In a way I am glad to be able to keep the 600. My oldest child will be 13 this year and since "SHE" will be needing a car in a couple years (more like 3 but who's counting) I now have that "extra" car, since I have one for myself now.

So, I'm back, again. Sort of like the Dr. Grant and the boy from Jurassic Park, "Well, we're back...in the truck..again" :D

tryingbe
03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Wait the minute... I know you.

You want that saturn header yet?

yogurt_slinger
03-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Again, sorry about that Paul, but like I said, what would you do if you were me...:eyebrows:

85_600
03-24-2006, 11:47 PM
So, since this is going to be happening this Summer, any tips for changing out pistons with the engine in the car? Anything anyone has come across doing this that wasn't written down somewhere? :D

And don't worry Bryan, I'll still talk to you :D Heck, you just gave me a glimmer of hope to have F/I again!! :thumb:

GLHSKEN
03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
WOW maturity!!! I like this board!!!

Piston change in car. Pretty easy.

Pull the head.

Drop the oil pan.

Rotate the offending piston so it is on the bottom (you need it there to get at the bolts and have 1//2 a chance to push it out)

Remove rod bolt nuts.

Seperate the rod cap..(sometimes they stick a bit If one refuses to come apart, spin the nut back on far enough so the treaads do NOT come out of the nut, tap with a plastic or some sort of soft faced hammed)
NOTE the position of the tab on the bearing and rod. They have to be re-installed that way

Cut 2 6" lengths of rubber tubing to go over the rod bolts (you don't want to nick the cyl bores)

Push piston up and out.

Instalation is just the reverse. The $5-10 simple ring compressor found at most parts stores works well.

5sp. mini
03-25-2006, 10:21 AM
hey i,m down here in akron if you need anything other than help i can let you borrow tools and that stuff. al if it,s a log you should go ahead and t2 it. other than a 87lm is abount all you will need i have a newer style intake. and some wire swaps i have that some where when i did my woody wag i just love the new style also eazy to intercool too.

Lugert
03-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Is that the car you found for sale on www.TurboDodge.com ?
This One? (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100210)

I remember it being for sale, good to hear all is working out for the better.

85_600
03-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Is that the car you found for sale on www.TurboDodge.com ?
This One? (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100210)

I remember it being for sale, good to hear all is working out for the better.

Yep! The same one. It ran fairly well once I replaced the O2 sensor when I got home but I experienced 2 bout's of detonation with it (while using 87 octane gas). I believe this is what caused the stumble at idle issues I am having. That and the lower compression readings from 3 cylinders. The stumble is so bad that if I'm on a "slight" hill or more, and I am at a stop on that hill, it will constantly stall until I can get to the top. I actually had to run a stop sign to get through the intersection :(
Since I have another car now and Bryan doesn't want the 600 back, I know have 3 years to get this one fixed. I can handle that time frame.:D

I figure I'll do what I can to find out what's exactly wrong without costing me anything then go from there.

turbovanmanČ
03-27-2006, 01:14 PM
If you are really cheap, reuse the rings, just make sure to put back in the same bore. If you still see cross hatching, throw some new ones in and beat on it when you get it running. :thumb:

85_600
03-27-2006, 03:29 PM
If you are really cheap, reuse the rings, just make sure to put back in the same bore. If you still see cross hatching, throw some new ones in and beat on it when you get it running. :thumb:

Oh, don't worry. I'm not THAT cheap! Heck. I already went through some trouble so when this gets taken apart, when I put everything back together I'm doing it right. I don't want to have to do this again :o

I'm just going to take the head and pan off, pull the 3 pistons that are in question, pulling the worst one first, and taking it from there. Since you said that 90 psi is the magic number for "cracked" pistons, I'm pulling that one first. It won't be for a little while yet so hang tight. I'm sure once I get into the engine I'll have PLENTY of questions.

Actually, I do have one question now: Is it possible to pull the turbo with the engine still in the car and if so, from the top or bottom? I figure now would be the time to work on my IC idea for the log intake. I know I know, just convert it to T2 - I like to be different though:thumb:

looneytuner
03-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Directions should add pull the hood and borrow engine hoist. It's a lot easier to lift the head with a hoist if your not 19 and foolish. You will have complete access to the turbo with head off.
I'm like you on the like to be different, but it is soooo easy to covert to TII. Any blow through intake will work.. Just notch the exhaust mani. You will see what has to be done when you try to install them both. 15 minutes grinding on your current exhaust mani and it is TII.
Pulling the head and reinstalling is the hardest part of the conversion.

85_600
03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Directions should add pull the hood and borrow engine hoist. It's a lot easier to lift the head with a hoist if your not 19 and foolish.

The head doesn't weigh THAT much does it? If so that's alright. My father's neighbor has a hoist. This is good to know ahead of time though. I'm going to be 42 this year so I'm not that old, yet :D It will be JUST me doing this work though, so if you think I'll need the hoist then I'll line it up.

Thanks!:)

5sp. mini
03-27-2006, 11:30 PM
i,ve never pulled the hood/ the turbo will come off the head. just the exht. bolts . turbo bracket, drain back hose. i think thats all there is on the onder side. AL