PDA

View Full Version : Tube front end pics?

ShadowFromHell
10-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Im thinking down the road Im going to put a 2.4/MS in a rampage I have and make it a streetable drag car. The core suport has some damage on the lower section so I was thinking of tubing it to make more room for a air to water IC, raditor ect. But Im looking for ideas. Im a great fabricator, but Id like to see what others have done.

pics please :)

thanks
Dustin

OmniLuvr
12-20-2008, 02:56 AM
talk to 2.216vturbo, i think he might have what your looking for

omni_840
12-20-2008, 12:06 PM
+1 on this I would love to see some pics of what others have done

cordes
12-20-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm not aware of one being done. I think that it would be a great modification for a road course type car, but the weight reduction on the front end will cause some traction issues which will need to be addressed for sure.

rbryant
12-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Chris's racecar at TU is a tube front:

http://www.turbosunleashed.com/subpage.php?mainmenu=vehicle&vgroupid=1&group_page=1&svid=10

-Rich

-

OmniLuvr
12-20-2008, 08:02 PM
wow, now that is a tube frame car. alans car was done by someone else before he got it(the rampage). it looks pretty good, but alan may have want to do it a different way? its just the core support, not much of a tie into the strut towers, i may do it on my omni because there is a little damage to the lower core support(from previous owner?)

ShadowFromHell
12-20-2008, 11:20 PM
I think Im going to just strip the front end off and start cutting... install the motor and then add some bracing. I think with a properly set up car, less weight would just make it faster :)

Ondonti
12-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I would tube the rear end first........

OmniLuvr
12-21-2008, 05:26 PM
"I would tube the rear end first........"

i dont know how much he can take out in the rear of a rampage to tube it? what are your ideas

and i wouldnt just start hacking, some of it is srtuctural. get the car on stands (front and back) then strip it out. are you going to remove upper and lower core support? take some picks of it stripped so we can argue over what should stay, what should be cut and where tubes should go. i have some ideas but i want to see how bad the lower core is. are you going to make a race car out of it, are you still going to use headlights? i worked in a fab shop for a while so i may be able to help.

Rampage16V
12-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Dave Kaspers Shelby Charger TIII tube front from windsor

ShadowFromHell
12-21-2008, 09:57 PM
"I would tube the rear end first........"

i dont know how much he can take out in the rear of a rampage to tube it? what are your ideas

and i wouldnt just start hacking, some of it is srtuctural. get the car on stands (front and back) then strip it out. are you going to remove upper and lower core support? take some picks of it stripped so we can argue over what should stay, what should be cut and where tubes should go. i have some ideas but i want to see how bad the lower core is. are you going to make a race car out of it, are you still going to use headlights? i worked in a fab shop for a while so i may be able to help.

I use to be auto body tech, did frame and body. I know what I have to keep and what not to. Im thinking of removing the fender skirts, the core support, and the front bumper. Pretty much just the rails from the strut tower forward. Then just maybe something as simple as a U shaped hooped that points down from the front of the rails. Im thinking of using neon style torque arm motor mounts, so the front of the motor wouldn't even bolt to the new "core support". Im am planning on keeping the lights. I will probably add some brackets to hold the fenders and the front end on. I dont see the point of building a car I cant drive on the street...

What do you mean about tubing the back half? There isnt much back there. I was thinking of cutting the floor out of the bed, but I was afraid it would cause more wind turbulence and acutaly slow it down. I do have no intentions of running a tailgate however.

But this is down the road... Im broke right now! I may just throw together a carb motor to get it running again. However I still may tube it for fun and to make it lighter... If it gets a carb motor it will get at LEAST a 100hp direct port kit on it :eyebrows:

(I have the kit...)

GLHNSLHT2
12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
uhh like the full size pickups the car is more aerodynamicly efficient with the tailgate in the up position

Anonymous_User
12-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Found another one:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z136/wevie0037/1229930461.jpg

"Top Fuel" Bender
02-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Found another one:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z136/wevie0037/1229930461.jpg

Need more pics !!!!!!! :bump2:

dds78910
02-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Isn't Brian Slowes (turbo2point2) BSX shadow a tube front end?

Anonymous_User
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM

I agree, but that is all I could find.

omni_840
03-01-2009, 12:21 AM

+2:D

Needs more pics