PDA

View Full Version : Ah geez, I think I may have set the timing wrong!

85shelbycharger
03-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Well here's my dilemma. I finally had my Charger running GREAT, but the cam seals went out on it, so I pulled it into the garage today to fix those. When removing the cam sprocket I thought I had it supported enough so that the timing belt wouldnt' drop loose, but its my luck, so it did and I ended having to reset the timing.

Now here's the question: I ended up swapping in a different cam that I had too while the valve cover was off. It was a brand new '88 Turbo 2 cam that I swapped on w/brand new rollers. Then I reset the timing belt.

The car starts up and idles awesome and it drives fine too...until you get to higher RPM ranges. Right when full boost feels like its going to kick in the poor car just seems to die and want to drop on its face haha. You think I messed the timing up? Or is it the cam?

altered7151
03-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Sounds like the timing is off by one tooth. I'd double check it.

85shelbycharger
03-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Sounds like the timing is off by one tooth. I'd double check it.

Ugh thats what I didn't 'want to hear! haha :p I've set the timing on these cars so many times I could do it in my sleep...and go figure the only time I ever mess it up is when I do it on my car :p I'll look into it tomorrow after class and let you know how it goes.

85shelbycharger
03-25-2006, 02:30 AM
Yep, timing was off just a hair. I fixed it tonight and the Charger's running stronger than ever :thumb: