PDA

View Full Version : How is a lifter supose to feel....

89ShelbyGuy
03-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Well...after getting some spare lifters from my old head..i felt how they were...

They almost all squshed down and back up...
Now, the first one i took of my current head, it wasn't going down or up....with all my might i couldn't do anything to it..It that right?

How are they supose to feel?

Thanks

Tom

3Bar_Mopar
03-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Any one I've ever looked at was very hard and I couldn't push them down....however they were out of recently running cars. I suggest the squishy lifters are from the oil bleeding out of them after awhile.

I guess the test of they are screwed or not, is to twist the piston part. If it doesn't twist, it's a bad lifter...

85shelbycharger
03-24-2006, 01:09 AM
I've always been under the impression that if you can push them down w/your fingers then they were bad...but I can't say I'm 100% sure.

altered7151
03-24-2006, 01:29 AM
If they collapse they are usually bad. Thats the rule I use anyways. If they collapse I just toss em and get new ones, or swap in good used ones.

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 01:37 AM
I have found if the lifter came out of a running engine, and sat, even for months, and was good, you can't push it down. If you can push it down, its junk. If you have a stock cam, just use the PT lifters, mucho better design.

Dave
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I have found if the lifter came out of a running engine, and sat, even for months, and was good, you can't push it down. If you can push it down, its junk. If you have a stock cam, just use the PT lifters, mucho better design.
Are the PT lifters any tighter? If so wouldn't that help the rocker spring back even quicker, making everything in the valvetrain more precised, which could lead to more top end power?? Eh, eh??

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Are the PT lifters any tighter? If so wouldn't that help the rocker spring back even quicker, making everything in the valvetrain more precised, which could lead to more top end power?? Eh, eh??

There not tighter but have a bleed hole on top, which stops the oil from aireating, which causes the lifter to pump up. There also brand new so yes, I guess they are tighter, lol!

deuce dodge
03-24-2006, 09:12 PM
pik n pay secret

quick cheet for pulling lifters.........or rockers....without loosening cam.

no need to pull cam......

1. grab a rocker arm with vice grips........

2. have someone tap with a wood hammer handle down on the valve spring......not to hard......practice on a junker :)

3. pull out rocker arm....

4. press lifters down with fingers...any that push in i don't use.

5. remove good used lifters.....easy.

deuce

GLHNSLHT2
03-25-2006, 11:09 AM
pry valve spring down with 10" 1/2 drive extension. Remove rocker, Then test lifter :)

deuce dodge
03-25-2006, 08:13 PM
see post about lad dropping part of his socket ext into block........be careful doing it that way :)

deuce

GLHNSLHT2
03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
use a better extension :)

tryingbe
03-25-2006, 10:47 PM
So, what's the worst it can happen if I use collapsed lifter?

GLHNSLHT2
03-25-2006, 11:45 PM
valves don't open all the way. it can jam the follower between the valve/lifter and cam. I've seen them spit out through the Valve cover.

tryingbe
03-26-2006, 01:51 AM
Time to get PT curiser's lifter...

deuce dodge
03-26-2006, 09:33 AM
we broke rocker arms in half and spit mini bearings into oil pan......it can ruin your day.

and ive used junkyard used lifters and "new" lifters both worked great.

deuce