PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Suposed to leave for drags in 6 hours!!

2.216VTurbo
03-23-2006, 10:53 PM
They always say don't make any chnages before you go racing...:mad:

Mopars at the Strip starts in 12 hours and I have no fuel pressure.

Here are the basics. My GLHS has two fuel pumps and has for ~10 years, never had a problem the way it was wired but recently I was jumping the ASD relay with a paper clip to set the fuel pressure on the two fuel rails (it's an old HKS AIC unit that has the four primary 'stock' injectors and the four additional that come on under boost) and the clip got red hot after 20-30 seconds. So although I had piggy-backed the second fuel pump off of the stock pump wires years ago, it had never tripped the ASD so I didn't know there was a problem. After jumping the ASD and seeing how much load I was putting on the stock pump wires I decided I'd better set up a relay to power that second pump and take some stress off the stock circut. Fine, so here is how I wired the relay

#30 fused constant 12 vlolts from battery
#86 to chassis ground
#87 output side of the relay going to the additional pump
#85 trigger wire that I piggy backed off the stock pump circut to use as 'signal' to turn on the relay

So its all wired up and I am ready to put the car on the trailer so I can leave in six hours and NO FUEL PUMP COMES ON. So I tried to jump it at the ASD relay and still no pump. So I figure I have wired something wrong so I bypass all the new relay etc to try to return it to the 'way it was' and still no pump comes on with the key OR with the ASD jumped.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?? THE CAR WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST FINE, I SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT:(

Any ideas???

Will Martin
03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Alan,

Have you check your fuses? What about your fusible links? Maybe when you wired up the #85, you overloaded/blew the stock pump as well. What a burn....YOU SHOULD'VE LEFT THE CAR ALONE MAN!!!! Let us know if you get it fixed. Good luck.

WVRampage
03-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Fuseable link to the pump

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Fuseable link to the pump

There is no fusible link to the pump.

Wish I was at work, I have the relay numbers written down so I know what goes where. I would say just hard wire the pumps for now using a toggle switch and some fuses.

2.216VTurbo
03-24-2006, 04:35 AM
OK, nearly 1 am, nothing worked for diagnosis!:o Swapped ASD and all the usual suspects, even went back to the way everything was wired 'before', still no go.

So I just hard wired the pump (s) to a switch inside the car and she fires just fine. I didn't check the replies till now but I am betting Simon came up with it first;)

Three hours of sleep then on the road to VEGAS BABY:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

My partner in crime is bringing his laptop so I'll check in tonight after races.

mcsvt
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Glad you to hear you got it running, good luck :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Glad you got it going Allan. Looking at how you wired them, no wonder it won't run, :banghead:, :p

Ok, heres the relay breakdown when you log back in-

87-12 volts for fuel pump
86-relay trigger-12volts-IE switched ignition power or toggle switch.
30-fuel pump wire(s)
85-Ground

Ubmbass
03-26-2006, 03:19 PM
That was you in the red glhs? Man, what happened on the first run? And what about the following runs? All I saw was like a 15 something? What was your best time of the weekend?

2.216VTurbo
03-26-2006, 10:32 PM
No, I'm sure that was a different red GLHS out there:p

First run the shift linkage popped off right at the line, never happened before or since, Murphy's law and all...

Had definate calibration issues and all four passes were made with the power loss light on and the car in limp mode-not really the way to good power or a good pass:(

Best laid plans...