PDA

View Full Version : Normal Max Boost??

superbleu
09-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I am wondering what the maximum boost is for a completly stock 93 TIII is. I am running about 8 psi maybe 9. Kinda hard to tell with the stock gauge. I was thinking it should be higher... I recently replaced the turbo and may have got something together wrong...Thanks

cordes
09-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I thought it was supposed to be 11-12PSI on those. You might have hooked up direct manifold vac to the can?

TurboSedan
09-27-2008, 01:26 AM
i wouldn't trust the stock gauge but yeah, i think stock boost is 11psi.

--------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'87 Shelby CSX #667
'98 Buick Regal GS

superbleu
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought it was supposed to be 11-12PSI on those. You might have hooked up direct manifold vac to the can?

Think that was it. Thanks!!! I am now getting 10 on the gauge, but it comes on late...4500-5000 rpm. Does anyone know if that is right. I recently bought the car and this is my first TIII, so I know little about how their supposed to run. I am sure I have other issues (smokes like I am fogging bugs and lifter noise sounds like a mechanical cam) but my TII hits max boost much earlier ~3000ish~. Opinions??? Facts...

Thnak

CaptMoe
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
lifter noise is normal on the TIII. Just make sure you are getting good lubrication on top.

5000rpm for full boost seems kind of high but that's just me...

cordes
09-29-2008, 06:39 PM
If it is a stock turbo you should be hitting full boost much, much sooner. I would think you should have it all by about 2500 in a TIII.

When it smokes does it do it right upon startup, or does the car have to get warm first? What do the plugs look like?

glht_omni
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM
with a stock ecu and the wastegate solenoid hooked up properly, 10 psi is what its supposed to hold it at.

Garffus
09-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Im gona jump in too, Superbleu my 93 does the same. I get 10-11 psi (on standard gauge) from 4500 minimum.

It creeps up to 7-8 between 2000-4000 and then ramps between there and 4500.

You feel it quite definitely in 2nd and 3rd like a 3rd wave of power, like its ecu controlled? is it possible the 93s had different boost tables..? or am i talking crap?

moparzrule
09-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Must just be the superbleu ones that have boost issues :lol:

superbleu
09-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks all, that is good info, what I was looking for. I am rebuilding the engine this winter to get rid of the “Super blue” cloud of smoke that blows out behind me (Mobil 1 smells nasty roasted). But since I have had the car such a short time I wanted to know that is running “right” so when I get it put back together I don’t have to fight new motor stuff (hope there is none, but I know better) as well as issues that have been there all along. Interestingly enough after I got the boost problem squared away I threw my GTimer on it and made a run at my "testing facility". 15.1 @ 93.6 which is very close to the motor trend test data, calculated 222 HP. Which considering the engines obvious condition I think is remarkable.

When it smokes does it do it right upon startup, or does the car have to get warm first? What do the plugs look like?

It doesn't smoke under "normal" driving, but on hard full boost esp. after shifting wow blue fog. I thought it was the turbo, so I had it rebuilt. But after getting it off it did not look or feel bad. There is a ton of crankcase pressure. Oil is coming out of every orifice, so to speak. If I drive nice its not anywhere near like under boost or high rpm. Having said this, never having owned a TIII before I am finding it very difficult to drive nice...

Im gona jump in too, Superbleu my 93 does the same. I get 10-11 psi (on standard gauge) from 4500 minimum.

It creeps up to 7-8 between 2000-4000 and then ramps between there and 4500.

You feel it quite definitely in 2nd and 3rd like a 3rd wave of power, like its ecu controlled? is it possible the 93s had different boost tables..? or am i talking crap?

The way the boost comes on is as you describe it, but it seems kinda strange, looks like there is a lot of room for improvement with a different cal.:D

Must just be the superbleu ones that have boost issues :lol:
I was just hoping it was not caused by the "Superblue" cloud...:bounce:

cordes
10-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Do you have the factory PCV setup in working order?