PDA

View Full Version : Autometer Gauges

Diabloed
03-23-2006, 09:00 PM
My odometer hasn't worked since I got my car three or four years ago. Instead of replaceing it with another potentially broken factory unit I am thinking about replacing the the cluster with a 5" autometer speedo and tach, with a shift light in between them, to match all of my other auto meter gauges.

Does anyone have expierence with this kind of modification? I'm sure I have to use the elctronic sender speedo instead of the cable drive. Any special additional sender to make them work?

Does the car's computer care wether or not the gauge cluster is plugged in? I'll be leaving/incorporating the check engine light back in to keep that function.

Any help or advise would be great.

Diabloed
03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
nobody runs an aftermarket speedo or tach?:bump2:

Force Fed Mopar
03-25-2006, 12:36 AM
I know a guy on DodgeTalk that's putting an AutoMeter speedo in his 75 PowerWagon, he said he ordered a cable for it from them, with the proper ends on it to fit the stock speedo gear unit in the trans on one end, and the AutoMeter speedo on the other. Not sure if they make or will make one to fit the Daytona, but it's worth a call to see.

Diabloed
03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
now that i think about it more, my car uses a speed sensor so it would require a eletronic speedo. i was just wondering if it required a different sender?

here's what the site says:

Notes:
Resettable Trip odometer.
Will work with most factory sensors. If sender may be required, see model 5291 or 5292 in Accessories Section

Here's the additional sendor they have:

For use with all Auto Meter electronic speedometers.
7/8" - 18THD, Hall Effect sender, 16 pulse per rev. Includes pass-thru drive for cruise control.

I was also really needing to know if it's alright to leave all the gauges unplugged

SwiftTech
03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
you should be able to use the dodge sensor. you just need to know how many pulses/mile it puts out. 800 comes to mind but that could be wrong.

TurboII
12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Old thread; but what if you have a cableless sensor like 89 sensor? Will a autometer gauge work? With no I'll effects?. i wanna do this cause my gauges don't work like my mph, odometer, and trip and rpm don't work.

Joey

fishcleaner
12-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I run a VDO electronic speedometer but I didn't use the factory sender, I'm sure it would work but I didn't have time to figure it out so I bought the adapter. If I would do it again, I would figure out the factory sender and use it.