PDA

View Full Version : Dyno'd the Charger today 480WHP

Shadow
09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I brought the Charger up to 37psi last week and I'm starting to think it's going to handle 40 without to much trouble...we'll see. Anyways, got a couple chips from Cindy at FWD to try out and figured it was time to get a base # at 37 psi, then go back after (what I'm hoping will be a 10 sec wknd) and see what it takes to reach 500WHP. Don't know how many know or remember, but I've always believed the stock exhaust mani (ported well and right) could support 500whp. I still think that now and don't see any problem with it now. The stock cam on the other hand may be reaching it's usefull limits around the 450 whp mark. The car didn't make power as high in the rpm range as I would have expected, but even with the boost pump I'm still out of fuel. The dyno operator thinks that's the problem, so I'm upgrading the fuel system and we'll see. If I don't like the cam next time it will finally be time to see what an F4 will do on an already dyno'd 480whp, 463wtq 2.2! (did I mention this is a Non-CB? :confused:)

Turbulence
09-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Great work! Good luck with the weekend runs. Hope you get to keep the title.

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

fishcleaner
09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Damn, thats good, congrats and good luck

turbovanmanČ
09-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Thats awesome, :hail::hail::hail::hail: but you should post up your setup, as people will ask, ;)

I think an S60 cam would be a nice addition to your setup, hehehe, :evil: :clap:

I'd be willing to bet if you put on a ported 2 piece or custom intake, you'll make the same or more power on less boost, :D Have you ever looked inside a one piece, ack. The air has to literally turn itself inside out. :(

Force Fed Mopar
09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Very nice numbers, man. Congrats.

omni_840
09-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Thats awesome, :hail::hail::hail::hail: but you should post up your setup, as people will ask, ;)

+1 Impressive numbers!

And yes, whats your setup?

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Nicely done Shadow :thumb:

+1 to setup info? and Pics too!?

cordes
09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Congratulations. :clap:

CSXT802
09-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I brought the Charger up to 37psi last week and I'm starting to think it's going to handle 40 without to much trouble...we'll see. Anyways, got a couple chips from Cindy at FWD to try out and figured it was time to get a base # at 37 psi, then go back after (what I'm hoping will be a 10 sec wknd) and see what it takes to reach 500WHP. Don't know how many know or remember, but I've always believed the stock mani (ported well and right) could support 500whp. I still think that now and don't see any problem with it now. The stock cam on the other hand may be reaching it's usefull limits around the 450 whp mark. The car didn't make power as high in the rpm range as I would have expected, but even with the boost pump I'm still out of fuel. The dyno operator thinks that's the problem, so I'm upgrading the fuel system and we'll see. If I don't like the cam next time it will finally be time to see what an F4 will do on an already dyno'd 480whp, 463wtq 2.2! (did I mention this is a Non-CB? :confused:)

Great job.!!! keep the nay sayers on their heels. :thumb:

Shadow
09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd be willing to bet if you put on a ported 2 piece or custom intake, you'll make the same or more power on less boost, :D Have you ever looked inside a one piece, ack. The air has to literally turn itself inside out. :(

Not sure I get that? Did you think I squeezed that through a 1 piece?:confused2:

Force Fed Mopar
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM

I think he meant the stock exhaust mani, not intake :thumb:

Shadow
09-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the props! I'm going to be busy getting the car ready for the wknd so I may not be around. My #$%! scanner is on the fritze again so I'm going to see if my neighbour car scan the dyno sheet tomorrow so I don't leave you guys and gals H&D for the wknd! When I get a chance I'm going to make a thorough list of everything on the car. My biggest problem right now is still fuel. The booster pump is better, but I seem to get unstable fuel up top.:confused2: I'm going to plumb the 2nd pump into the other end of the rail and see how she behaves.:thumb: I'll give everyone a little heads up, if she don't go 500 at 40 psi, I think I will change the cam instead of pushing more boost. I like to prove things out, but never to the point of no reason. If I'm not happy with the cam next time on the dyno we'll all get to see a real back to back high HP cam swap test!:thumb:

Directconnection
09-25-2008, 11:06 PM

If that's the case... then an A/B TU header comparison would be the be all end all ;)

I know I seen a HUGE increase in flow from a stock ported manifold (from a few different vendors) to my ported ABM unit.... HUGE!

But, I think he's talking about a stock 2 piece intake?

Shadow
09-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Ah! Was wondering about that. I thought everyone knew I was doing this on the stock ported exhaust mani and stock 88 turbo roller cam. (I fixed it now, no more confusion)

Shadow
09-25-2008, 11:11 PM
But, I think he's talking about a stock 2 piece intake?

Got rid of the stock (totally ported) 2 piece a couple years ago. I guess most of my pics where on the other site. The intake I built (2 or maybe 3 years ago now) has almost double the volume, no restriction in the runners and the runners are about 4-5 inches long.

The Pope
09-26-2008, 12:31 AM
the F2 and the F4 have nearly the same lift, yet the F2 has S60 duration. As much duration as the F4 may not work as well with really high boost and the factory exhaust manifold. As much cylinder pressure as the engine likes now aren't you a little scared to bleed it off too much?

turbovanmanČ
09-26-2008, 01:04 AM

Ooops, my bad, I thought it said intake, doh! :lol: and I see he made it more clear, ;)

Warren ran 10's with his stock mani so they are more than capable, :nod:

Steve, Warren made a nice header and picked a slight amount in the 1/4 mile, thats saying volumes about the stock piece, when ported, :clap:

Ondonti
09-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Ooops, my bad, I thought it said intake, doh! :lol: and I see he made it more clear, ;)

Warren ran 10's with his stock mani so they are more than capable, :nod:

Steve, Warren made a nice header and picked a slight amount in the 1/4 mile, thats saying volumes about the stock piece, when ported, :clap:

Warren also turned the boost down when he installed that manifold so dont get too excited ;)

Shadow
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
the F2 and the F4 have nearly the same lift, yet the F2 has S60 duration. As much duration as the F4 may not work as well with really high boost and the factory exhaust manifold. As much cylinder pressure as the engine likes now aren't you a little scared to bleed it off too much?

My goal was to approach 500 whp and make the changes nec in the order they come up. At 450 whp I could have pushed the 57 trim a little more, but it was time for a bigger turbo. The bigger turbo showed me my twin stock I/C's were done. With the big front mount I ran out of fuel on my S-60 fuel pump. Now I have an in-line boost pump and I'm still running out of volume, so I'm going to address that. At 480whp I'm not saying the cam is done, I'm just saying it's starting to stick out as the next thing to change. Having said all this, Am I aware that I could install a Lone wolf head, custom header, custom cam, fully built CB bottom end and dyno 550-600WHP? Of course I'm aware of that, but I wanted to take everything I could to it's usefull limit first!
And yes, I have been sticking to the stock cam because I'm also running the stock exhaust mani and I'm thinking a custom cam is going to want a well designed header to go with......like Warrens!

R/Tony
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
:thumb:congrats on the results !... My goal is also to get the 500hps mark.

As I can see you 're running Cindy's cal, mostly a FWD Stage 5 with some mods to stand 37psi,... but why you dont go to megasquirt with 4bar map ?.. this way you can hold 40psi without a problem, actually you can use the stage2 inyectors from the SRT and thats it you're done for almost 600hps.

+2 on pics on your setup :D

8valves
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Good stuff man!

turbovanmanČ
09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
:thumb:congrats on the results !... My goal is also to get the 500hps mark.

As I can see you 're running Cindy's cal, mostly a FWD Stage 5 with some mods to stand 37psi,... but why you dont go to megasquirt with 4bar map ?.. this way you can hold 40psi without a problem, actually you can use the stage2 inyectors from the SRT and thats it you're done for almost 600hps.

+2 on pics on your setup :D

He is running a 4 bar setup, ;)

Shadow
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to upload my dyno sheets and it keeps telling me that the web page has expired?

cordes
09-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm trying to upload my dyno sheets and it keeps telling me that the web page has expired?

What is the file size?

Shadow
09-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Let's try this one at a time, my 443/448 sheet, Doh!@

Shadow
09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
What is the file size?

I think that was the problem, but I downsize and you can hardly see them. I'll crop the next one and see if I can make it more clear.

GLHNSLHT2
09-29-2008, 02:03 PM
what's the scary looking swoopy line at the bottom? Definately need a better pic. Maybe hose it somewhere and link to it?

Shadow
09-29-2008, 02:05 PM
My 480/463 sheet.

Shadow
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
what's the scary looking swoopy line at the bottom? Definately need a better pic. Maybe hose it somewhere and link to it?

I'm deff going to have to get better quality to post.

Shadow
09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Here's a funny non-related topic. Anyone know where I can get the right download so my Conoscan D646U ex scanner will work with windows vista? Believe it or not, I found a spanish vertion a year ago that worked, but now I can't remember how I did it!:confused:

Shadow
09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
My dyno sheets, last years and this last weeks.

Directconnection
09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
what does your car weigh...race weight with you in it actually?

Shadow
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
what does your car weigh...race weight with you in it actually?

Like I said in my other thread, I haven't wiegh'd it for a couple years, but it's gonna be around 2460ish with me in it, maybe a little more. Depends on how much more the Holset, 4' stainless dump ect added.

Shadow
09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Here's my concern. My torque has gone up about 400 rpm in the curve (with the big turbo) and yet my HP peaks at the exact same 5900ish RPM. I would have though it would peak higher. Was thinking 5900 was pretty low until I started looking for 2.2 dyno sheets that were higher....couldn't find any! Does anyone know of a 2.2 8v that has a higher HP peak on a dyno sheet than 5900rpm?

8valves
09-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Here's my concern. My torque has gone up about 400 rpm in the curve (with the big turbo) and yet my HP peaks at the exact same 5900ish RPM. I would have though it would peak higher. Was thinking 5900 was pretty low until I started looking for 2.2 dyno sheets that were higher....couldn't find any! Does anyone know of a 2.2 8v that has a higher HP peak on a dyno sheet than 5900rpm?

Mine peaked at 6200 at 407 with 24 psi on straight 93.

Shadow
09-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Mine peaked at 6200 at 407 with 24 psi on straight 93.

What cam and how was it degree'd, if you don't mind me asking?

8valves
10-01-2008, 07:11 AM
What cam and how was it degree'd, if you don't mind me asking?

Taft S3 at 5 adv. I wish I would've played with it, there's actually a lot that I found out I had wrong with the car shortly after the dyno session. It could've done a lot better and the powerband likely would've been even stronger.

I'll get to your PM on my lunch if I can.