PDA

View Full Version : clips vs spiral locks

deuce dodge
03-23-2006, 08:18 PM
building 260 whp 2.2 t2 in common using 88 floater pistons.....t2 rods.

need clips or spirals??????? any thoughts..and where can you buy without having to buy wrist pins...

??????????????????????

deuce:eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
03-23-2006, 09:37 PM
It depends on what the piston is designed for. If it uses Circlips, the whole is rounder and wider. If its cut for spirolocks, the hole is very square. I wouldn't use spiro's where circlips go and vice versa, they will probably fall out and make one hell of a mess.

deuce dodge
03-24-2006, 08:41 AM
THANKS SIMON

building motor on the fine edge of no money left.........using used mahle pistons and will go with the circlips then......should i re-use circlips?

deuce

GLHSKEN
03-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Duece, I've had no issues re-using clips in the past. Many piston swaps and no failures

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Agree Ken. I would just expand them a little, to give them more SNAP, :nod:

GLHSKEN
03-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't.. No need, they are spring material, you bend it out of shape you risk losing the rate...

powermaxx
03-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I dropped my GLHS engine off for freashening and when he pulled the pistons (Weisco) the CirClip was loose and slopped around :eek: (all of them!). It looks like they had lost all "springyness". Don't know why or what happened as these came in the kit direct from Weisco. It now has Spirolocks all around.

I got lucky (again...)

turbovanmanČ
03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I dropped my GLHS engine off for freashening and when he pulled the pistons (Weisco) the CirClip was loose and slopped around :eek: (all of them!). It looks like they had lost all "springyness". Don't know why or what happened as these came in the kit direct from Weisco. It now has Spirolocks all around.

I got lucky (again...)

No kidding, go buy a lottery ticket. I have seen the damage a loose circlip does, its not pretty, :(

jckrieger
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
As Ken said, I've reused the stock Mahle circlips without any problems. It's almost scary that the Wiseco circlips didn't hold up as they were intended. In that case, I think I'd rather re-use existing clips that have been known to work (with the correct piston of course).

GLHSKEN
03-24-2006, 06:05 PM
As with all these pistons sh!t happens. Look at the stockers. A few had the problem, and yes it wreaks havoc on the bores... I've seen it on 1 car total. I've had a lot of engines apart. Steve's experience is the 1st I've heard with the wiseco clips.

I do know the pistons take abuse well...

deuce dodge
03-24-2006, 09:32 PM
thanks so much guys........

i now have 9 used clips from 2.2 .........and one from a 2.5....it seems thicker???????

only needed 8 2.2 clips :) so its building time.........

once i get this short block built on the stand.......well its gonna be guys like you who helped me.....

THANKS

deuce

bobr19
03-24-2006, 11:04 PM
As with all these pistons sh!t happens. Look at the stockers. A few had the problem, and yes it wreaks havoc on the bores... I've seen it on 1 car total. I've had a lot of engines apart. Steve's experience is the 1st I've heard with the wiseco clips.

I do know the pistons take abuse well...
I've heard there is a right and wrong way to install stock cir-clips---the clip is shaped like a horse shoe and the open end should be facing straight up or down--as engine RPM increases more centrifical force is applied to clip and if facing to side of engine enough force could be applied to close clip enough that it un-seats itself and is then only held in by cyl. wall which usually ruins engine--if installed up and down force is not applied nearly as much to open end arms--we even staked the cir-clip bore so rotation of clip could not take place--bobr19

deuce dodge
03-25-2006, 07:58 AM
bobr19

YOU GET AN A+ :)

QUOTE FROM A 4 STROKE BUILD MANUAL ON CRF250R HONDA 13,000 RPM MOTOR.

"The open ends of the clip should face either up or down, but not to the opening in the piston".

======AWESOME======

deuce

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I just put them in, never paid attention to where the open end is, even on my race bikes, :thumb:

89sdac
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
you mean, you put spirolocks in the wisecos and they worked?

Directconnection
05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't.. No need, they are spring material, you bend it out of shape you risk losing the rate...

Over compressing them (ie: using more than what's needed to remove them) makes them lose their spring and a possible failure.

Make sure you compress them JUST enough to get them out.

turbovanmanČ
05-26-2010, 02:29 AM
you mean, you put spirolocks in the wisecos and they worked?

If the groove isn't square cut, you can't use spirolocks, they won't seat and might come out, and if you use circlips where spirolocks go, again, they won't seat and might come out.