PDA

View Full Version : 16-valve Gt ball bearing turbo project

tazaroo
09-25-2008, 08:21 AM
I just want to thank Chris for all his help in turning my Spirit r/t into a street monster. :D I purchased his TrannyBuster version of the GT3076r and could't be happier so far. The main players in my setup now includes a stage 4 cal, +40's, 3bar, Spearco Front Mount, 6 puck TU ceramic clutch, ported exhaust manifold, TrannyBuster GT3076r, OBX lsd, afpr, Innovate wideband guage.
All thought I need some more tweaking, the car is extremely fast and smoothe power delivery. I currently have the boost at about 19 to 21psi for now on pump 93. My fuel pressure is at 43.5 and wideband has never registered over 11.2 uder high boost and it usually is around 10.5 if I don't push it all the way to 6500 rpm. I can control my boost with the throttle so streetability is good also. The boost starts to come on around 22-2300 and hits 10 by about 31-3200 and all of it is in by about 36-3800 which is not bad with this turbo. It sounds like a harrier jet under your hood and once it hits about 10psi----HOLD ON!
My powerband is a little on the high side and my timing might even be off a tooth on the intake and if so it would spool a little sooner even. The car is not a dog at all anyway and moves along pretty good without using any boost. I'm not to worried about it. I will get my mechanic to check it sometime. I have not raced it with anyone or had it dynoed yet but anyone who has ridden in it says that it is the fastest car they have ever been in. :thumb: Thanks again Chris. I will try to get some pictures at somepoint but will be extremely busy the next several days.

omni_840
09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a sweet setup, how about some pics?

Chris W
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds like a sweet setup, how about some pics?

Here are a few photos of what Mark received from us. We will have to wait on Mark for the install pics.

Well Done Mark :thumb: Glad to hear things came together so well. We look forward to seeing your dyno numbers and track times in the near future.:nod:

Chris-TU

Turbo3Iroc
09-25-2008, 02:37 PM
You're carrying the ATP ultimate swingvalve now Chris?

Nice setup tazaroo, car must scream.

Chris W
09-25-2008, 03:07 PM
You're carrying the ATP ultimate swingvalve now Chris?

Yes we are, but, it's just temporary. I'm not saying any more :eyebrows:

Chris-TU

tazaroo
09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
I'll appreciate the compliments. I wll be away for several days. Maybe I can gets some pics after that.

Darkapollo
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
that turbo is too small.. you should sell it...

to me.... :D

Very nice set up it! it sounds like it should be a fun little sleeper :thumb:

shellboy
09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes we are, but, it's just temporary. I'm not saying any more :eyebrows:

Chris-TU

whats really going on? :confused:

8valves
09-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I bet the 3076R on a TIII car would be the ultimate street turbo. It's fantastic on an 8V, and works amazingly well on the 4G63's.

It's such a flexible turbo too. We've pushed one to 540 AWHP on a DSM on a .63 AR T3 housing. They will go well beyond the right edge of the map. :) Nice stuff guys.

Chris W
09-26-2008, 09:46 PM

It will all come out over time. ;)

Chris-TU

Turbo3Iroc
09-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Good to hear Chris!

Chris W
09-27-2008, 12:59 AM
I bet the 3076R on a TIII car would be the ultimate street turbo. It's fantastic on an 8V, and works amazingly well on the 4G63's.

It's such a flexible turbo too. We've pushed one to 540 AWHP on a DSM on a .63 AR T3 housing. They will go well beyond the right edge of the map. :) Nice stuff guys.

Thanks Aaron!:thumb: TU has been extremely pleased with the HP numbers these DBB turbos will support. That's why we began offering them as soon as they were introduced by Garrett.

BTW- I talked to Mike. We'll be doing some business together:D I appreciate the referral!

Chris-TU

8valves
09-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks Aaron!:thumb: TU has been extremely pleased with the HP numbers these DBB turbos will support. That's why we began offering them as soon as they were introduced by Garrett.

BTW- I talked to Mike. We'll be doing some business together:D I appreciate the referral!

Chris-TU

I'm headed up to check out his car in a few hours. I'm thinking it's going to run a lot better in a few weeks.
:nod:

He asked me how much I was paying you for the kind words, so it must've been pretty good. Thanks!

Ondonti
09-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Maybe something that wont be such a pain in the butt to get preorders for ;)

shellboy
09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
:partywoot:well im crossing my fingers

iTurbo
09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Prefabricated 3" V-band downpipes to go with the ATP swingvalve for our cars would be the greatest thing since pajamas with butt flaps. Just sayin..

bansheenut420
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Custom downpipe > prefab stuff anyday. Just gotta know the right people coughJacksoncough. :p

iTurbo
09-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Well I have the TU 3" prefabbed downpipes on three of my cars...they are nice and do the job well. Now if only I could get something just like it, except with an integrated flex bellows and V-band to attach to the ATP piece. I shudder to think of what the local exhaust shop would make for me, and I highly doubt Jackson is going to drop everything and make me a downpipe...sounds like he's pretty busy!

bansheenut420
09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
He is pretty busy. But, he is worth the wait. imo. I dont like the design of the atp piece. The bend is to sharp and if your going to spend the money, you want to make the power obviously and I just dont see spending good money and staying internally gated. But, different strokes, for different folks. I wouldnt pay the money for a GT series turbo either though. I will put my holset up against the 3076r any day. But, some people love them, its all a matter of opinion. :thumb:

iTurbo
09-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah I'll probably be staying with internal wastegated turbines for my cars; nothing too large as I put too many daily driver miles on my cars and the closest track is over 100 miles away (not to mention ~5k ft elevation).

That downpipe Jackson made for you is just awesome...but the only thing I don't like is that you are stuck with using that Holset turbine housing you have. If something goes wrong with the turbo, you could be looking at longer downtimes since there aren't many things that will bolt up in it's place. Whereas the ATP piece uses the standard T3 flange setup, which arguably has the most options and there are tons of 'drop-in' choices. I don't follow you on your opinion of the ATP piece....there is no bend at all, and I don't see how anything else with an internal gate could possibly flow more.

bansheenut420
09-28-2008, 05:11 PM
No, actually I am not stuck with it. I can buy a dsm outlet flanged anything and it will work with it. :D and the inlet of the turbine housing is a standard t3, so turbos are easy to get for it. Thats one of the reasons I went the way I did. I also drive my RT to work (other than on rainy days) in traffic 17 miles each way.
No bend at all in the ATP piece? Whats that 90deg right after the turbo? It doesnt need to be that sharp. I have also seen the atp piece in person. It a nice piece by all means, but not what I was looking for.

iTurbo
09-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Ahh OK. That does seem odd that you could even get a turbine housing with a T3 inlet and DSM outlet, although the standard T3 setup will still have the most options of them all. The 90' bend in the picture is actually part of the downpipe, not the swingvalve. The tight 90' is one of ATP's 'modular' downpipe sections. While it might make for easier packaging, there isn't any reason you couldn't create a downpipe for it that would flow just as much as what you have from Jackson, with the exception of your external wastegate.

I think TU should create a Chrysler flanged version of the ATP swingvalve (for the 8v guys), and a matching downpipe for our cars (should work on 8v or TIII).

bansheenut420
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Its not odd. They are all over the place. Lots of the DSM guys wanted to be able to run t3 flanged turbos. They are actually pretty common. And, I am not saying a good flowing downpipe cant be made from the atp stuff. Its not bad stuff by any means. I would like to see one made from all of there stuff not have a 90deg bend in it, beause a 90 is not needed.

iTurbo
09-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Where do you get the DSM/T3 turbine? I cannot find them anywhere....and as far as the 90' goes, that's moot because every non-stock housing is going to need 90' or more to get the exhaust to where it needs to be from the exit of the turbine wheel.

I know you like the Holset stuff and all, but for me I'm set on the standard flange stuff for easy upgrades later and easy interchangeability. If only I knew people that could make awesome kick --- stuff; but I don't so I have to rely on the vendors.

moparzrule
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Where do you get the DSM/T3 turbine? I cannot find them anywhere....and as far as the 90' goes, that's moot because every non-stock housing is going to need 90' or more to get the exhaust to where it needs to be from the exit of the turbine wheel.

I know you like the Holset stuff and all, but for me I'm set on the standard flange stuff for easy upgrades later and easy interchangeability. If only I knew people that could make awesome kick --- stuff; but I don't so I have to rely on the vendors.

Holset's use a standard T3 flange :nod:

As for the 90 degree turn....the further you can come straight out of the turbine before the 90 degree turn the better. Making a 90 degree turn like our stock swingvalves do is crap for flow. With ATP's swingvalve I have about 6'' of straight out of the turbine before the 90. With stock chrysler style, it's like 2-3''.

iTurbo
09-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I understand Holset's use a standard T3 inlet flange, but Cory's uses a DSM flange on the outlet. As far as I can tell, it's hardly a common housing, hence why I am steering clear of using it.

bansheenut420
09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Please, dont get me wrong. I am in no way saying a nice quailty downpipe cant be done this way. I know I would have been waiting alot longer if it had not been for me getting the downpipe I did. As far as the housing, and dsm style exhaust outlet will line right up with my downpipe. Its more of less a dsm flange on the exhaust outlet. The inlet is a t3, so turbo combos are not to hard to come by. But, I am not changing this holset anytime soon. :D I love it.

compshadow
09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Should be sweet on a 16v, I just put that turbo on my 8v with the TU ported head. Only running about 9psi on stock cal, waiting for parts to turn boost up.

turbovanmanČ
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Those parts looks mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good, :partywoot:

What kind of wideband is in the white box, IE what kit. The LM-1 I got had a shiny black box.

moparzrule
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I understand Holset's use a standard T3 inlet flange, but Cory's uses a DSM flange on the outlet. As far as I can tell, it's hardly a common housing, hence why I am steering clear of using it.

Well cory's is an HX40, we were talking HX35. The stock 12cm housing on an HX35 from 95-98 ram's will have a 3'' V band outlet.

iTurbo
09-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah, and before that we were talking about the ATP swingvalve that the original poster got for his setup. Then I make the mistake of making a related product suggestion for TU and somehow it turns into why I should get a Holset and find somebody other than TU to make a simple downpipe. Talk about off topic!

bansheenut420
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Never once said anything about you getting a holset. Just sharing my oppion on a pre fab downpipe. Go back and look. I didnt change the topic. :D Do I need to go quote my own posts? lol

iTurbo
10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Sure, knock yourself out Cory. Next time I have an idea for something I'll just save myself a lot of grief and call TU directly.

Chris W
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I would like to see one made from all of there stuff not have a 90deg bend in it, beause a 90 is not needed.

Well, this would be physically impossible unless you were planning on running your exhaust straight into your passenger side wheel well. As ITurbo already mentioned, your turbo outlet runs perpindicular to the direction of the exhaust system. If you go straight further then the exhaust tunnel (center of vehicle) you will need an even greater angle then 90 degrees to get back on track.

Rest assured, TU has new products already in the works to combat many of the exhaust issues plaguing this small community.

STAY TUNED;)

Chris-TU

bansheenut420
10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, this would be physically impossible unless you were planning on running your exhaust straight into your passenger side wheel well. As ITurbo already mentioned, your turbo outlet runs perpindicular to the direction of the exhaust system. If you go straight further then the exhaust tunnel (center of vehicle) you will need an even greater angle then 90 degrees to get back on track.

Rest assured, TU has new products already in the works to combat many of the exhaust issues plaguing this small community.

STAY TUNED;)

Chris-TU

A full 90 is not needed. Mine doesnt have one. :D

Chris W
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
A full 90 is not needed. Mine doesnt have one. :D

Perpindicular means 90. Whether it's 30 + 30 + 30 it still equals 90.

Chris-TU

compshadow
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
When you have a 3" pipe with a 90 you would have to flow a lot of air to have a restriction there.
In my opinion I don't think you would honestly notice a difference with or without a 90 with a 3"
pipe. Maybe TU could come up with a 4" downpipe and 90. LOL. Might have to cave the firewall in a little.

Xtrempickup
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
just run the exhuast straight out the passenger side of the car, cut a hole in the fender then no restrictions

Nemesismachine
10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Do you have a v band setup for your 3" L body exhaust? Thats the route Im trying to go...

tazaroo
10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Those parts looks mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good, :partywoot:

What kind of wideband is in the white box, IE what kit. The LM-1 I got had a shiny black box.

Its just the standard lm-1 with a blue guage. I have had major computer problems and was away for a while. I will try to get some pics of install soon. Also, I just destroyed an srt-4 this past weekend. :) I will try to get that in street stories soon as well.

omni_840
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I will try to get some pics of install soon. Also, I just destroyed an srt-4 this past weekend. :) I will try to get that in street stories soon as well.

Patiently waiting for some pics and more stories:D