PDA

View Full Version : Lancer window felt/scrapers/etc...

rosie
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Searched the archives and didn't find anything. Can't get onto Turbododge.com to search either. Anyone have this issue resolved?
Waiting for them to show up at the yard over 2 years has worked for the GLH but I don't have that long on the Lancer. That long being 2 years. I'm not sitting at the paint shop waiting for an answer or anything :)

135sohc
09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
It was someone on turbododge who rebuilt their beltline weatherstrips using a generic piece from JC whitney. never did understand exactly how they did it (pictures were confusing to me) but it looked factory

rosie
09-24-2008, 09:03 PM
For the lancer? I thought it was for an omni. are the pictures linked anywhere else?

1983Rampage
09-24-2008, 11:28 PM
No, it was mwrenn I think and it was for his Shelby Lancer. Unsure as to how he did it, but have done some work with him, and is a good guy and would help you out with any questions.

mwrenn
09-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Hey, just happened across this thread, I'm usually a lot more on TD than here, don't even know if I can post pics here. lol Rosie, let me know what your questions are, and I'll try to help you out. The window scrapers I made for my SL look like factory new ones.

mwrenn
09-25-2008, 01:36 AM
OK, here's the link to the TD thread. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/161885-jc-whitney-seals.html

Later...

rosie
09-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Sweet. That just leaves the felt and the triangles. I have a bead on some for sale pm'd to me. Just waiting on pics and rent week to come and go :)

Anonymous_User
09-25-2008, 04:10 AM
OK, here's the link to the TD thread. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/f34/161885-jc-whitney-seals.html

Later...

i don't imagine I could convince you to post the information over here for those of us that are not allowed over there?

rosie
09-25-2008, 07:31 PM
The pics are in the post so you CAN see them without logging in. Gawd those ads are obnoxious.

minigts
09-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I would just download the pictures, crop about 80 pixels off the bottom and BAM! Just regular old pictures on the intarweb.

mwrenn
09-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll see if I can get the pics over here later tonight.....

Tony Hanna
09-26-2008, 12:03 AM
I'll see if I can get the pics over here later tonight.....

If you need me to upload them so you can post them in threads here, just LMK and email the pics to tonyz2897@aol.com.
I'm getting ready to pull my Spirit apart for paint and I'm interested in restoring my window scrapers as well.:thumb:

Tony

minigts
09-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Man, I'll download the pics, crop and post if need be. :D I'm bored and am waiting on others to for things to do at work right now. ;)

Tony Hanna
09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
@mwrenn:

After looking at your thread on the other board, could sheet metal angle be substituted for the aluminum channel and pop rivets substututed for the screws? If so, then I have everything short of the weatherstripping already on hand to try this.

On the subject of the weatherstripping, anybody care to take a guess as to how many feet I'd need to do all 4 doors on a Spirit? The car isn't here or I'd measure...

Thanks,
Tony

minigts
09-26-2008, 12:46 AM
I would plan for 15 feet. That gives 44 inches per door which is more than enough, but that's better than not having enough. :D Depends on how expensive it is, but err on the side of too much. Don't skimp to save a few dollars and need to order more later.

I have a 2 door L body and I think at the bottom it's MAYBE 40 inches.

mwrenn
09-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Sheet metal would be ok, when you get into it there's not much room to work with on the top of the door flange. About 3/8 ths to 1/2inch. I used screws to fine adjust the fit of the belt weatherstrip in relation to the metal trim. I actually had to elongate the screw holes in the door flange to make it fit good. So if you use rivets, you gotta be accurate, lol.

Tony I just sent you a hellacious E-mail with the pics. You can post them here if you want...

Oh yeah, you will need four belt moldings, they are 36 inches long I think...

Tony Hanna
09-26-2008, 12:56 AM
I would plan for 15 feet. That gives 44 inches per door which is more than enough, but that's better than not having enough. :D Depends on how expensive it is, but err on the side of too much. Don't skimp to save a few dollars and need to order more later.

I have a 2 door L body and I think at the bottom it's MAYBE 40 inches.

Looks like they're sold in 48" sections @ $20 ea. So I guess it's looking like $80 to do all 4 doors. That's not too bad considering. If the scrapers are short enough on a 4 door that I could get 2 out of each piece, that would be even better.:thumb:

Tony Hanna
09-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Sheet metal would be ok, when you get into it there's not much room to work with on the top of the door flange. About 3/8 ths to 1/2inch. I used screws to fine adjust the fit of the belt weatherstrip in relation to the metal trim. I actually had to elongate the screw holes in the door flange to make it fit good. So if you use rivets, you gotta be accurate, lol.

Tony I just sent you a hellacious E-mail with the pics. You can post them here if you want...

Cool. I'll check my e-mail and get the pics posted up here.
Thanks!

Tony Hanna
09-26-2008, 01:19 AM

I just wonder if the pieces attach the same way on a Spirit as they do a Lancer. I could swear there are screws going into the ones on the Spirit that require the window to be out to get to. If that's the case, then there may already be a surface there that's perfect to attach the new weatherstripping to as-is. I'll look at it closer when I'm up there this weekend. Since I'm going to be pulling them off anyway, I may bring them back here so I can work on them next week. It really stinks not having the car here to be able to test fit, take measurements, etc.

Tony

mwrenn
09-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Yep, I had to pull the windows out of the Lancer to do it. My problem was that the metal trim pieces on the Lancer are one piece with the window scraper felt, so to put in new belt weatherstrip, I had to replace the metal trim as well. Not sure how the Spirit is set up. Take pics when you do it! lol
Thanks for posting up the Lancer pics.

Tony Hanna
09-26-2008, 02:12 AM
Yep, I had to pull the windows out of the Lancer to do it. My problem was that the metal trim pieces on the Lancer are one piece with the window scraper felt, so to put in new belt weatherstrip, I had to replace the metal trim as well. Not sure how the Spirit is set up. Take pics when you do it! lol
Thanks for posting up the Lancer pics.

I'll definitely post up some pics.:nod:
And, thanks for providing the Lancer pics!:thumb:

WickedShelby88
09-27-2008, 03:24 PM
The spirit will be even easier. Screws hold the belt molding on in those. Easier than a lancer IMO. This information is exactly what I was hoping to find. JC whitney to the rescue with some fabrication skillz. I need to do my mom's shadow. Will definitely be looking into this. Nothing a nice CNC mounting tab won't fix!

Tony Hanna
09-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah, after getting one of the scrapers off of the Spirit, I think you're right. The actual weatherstripping is attached to the metal by some clips that resemble staples. It really just looks like a matter of removing the old and attaching the new with no fab involved. Though attaching the new might be interesting. I wouldn't want to reuse the staple looking things, and it isn't in a good spot for anything that sticks out the back like a screw or rivet would. Some good quality epoxy might be the way to go.

Another neat thing I found out is that 2 sections of the replacement weatherstripping should be enough to do all 4 doors with 1 inch leftover from each piece.
That cuts the price in half.:thumb:

rosie
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
My omni has those staples. I haven't ripped off the lancers yet. I want the driveway and a car cover before I go to that rip-everything-off-and-hope-it-goes-good town. Garage? full of engines. Dag nabbit

Tony Hanna
09-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I feel your pain! My garage isn't even full of auto related stuff. It's still crammed full of crap from when we moved into the place a couple years ago.

I bet your lancer will probably need the channel like how mwrenn did it. Though the nice part is that it's proven to work and everything necessary (aside from the weatherstripping) should be available locally. So if you get it apart, you're just a trip to the hardware store away from having what you need.:thumb:

rosie
10-01-2008, 11:51 PM
I got to desypher what part is what. I've got more windows then I thought. The rear window has two windows THEN the triangle window. some of those may be salvageable. They haven't been disturbed as they rotted so I have a pipe dream of dreanching them in silicone and maybe they'll go soft.

Doubt it.

Then there's the seal that has thick grass pushing it out.... Never saw that coming...