PDA

View Full Version : Anyone straighten something like this :(

WickedShelby88
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/JBSHELBYS/100_3263.jpg

The door had been opening and closing fine with a very slight catch near the trim. This time I go to open it and it snags. I had even tried prying just slightly but that didn't seem to help. My son is in the car and needs to get out. I'd rather he not mangle the hard to find arm rest by climbing on it so I try this again.. By the time I realize its catching at the top... Ahhhh the crease of death.. The worst part is this side was completely straight before and the other side just had the rear quarter damage. How much do you think this will set me back?

looneytuner
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
The first thing is to move the fender a bit forward. Maybe 1/4". I would try a long piece of wood inside with a shim to pry with control. The longer the lever, the more control.

Anonymous_User
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
That should pound out just fine. Good hammer and anvil and get to work. Probably have to pull the fender or door for proper access.

WickedShelby88
09-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Figured it might not be too big of a deal. I will have to straighten it no matter what anyhow as it will interfere with how the door opens otherwise. I just have no experience with dent repair to the extent the object looks like it hadn't been molested.

Tony Hanna
09-24-2008, 04:39 AM
I wonder what the chance would be of finding a straight fender with good paint the same color in a junkyard? If you could, and the price was right, I'd go that route. Then again, I hate working dents. Doesn't look like it would be too bad to fix though. +1 on pulling the fender or door for access.

WickedShelby88
09-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Just some excuses to paint the doghouse black is really why this will turn out to work out in my favor.. hehe. I've been wanting to go from white to black since before I got it. Black lancers are hard to find and this one was extremely cheap at least at first.