PDA

View Full Version : Installing A Boost Gauge

CDNTurboZ
03-23-2006, 01:25 AM
I recently picked up a boost gauge, but where should I get my vacuum source from?? This is in my 86 Shelby charger, can I just get it off the map sensor line?
It is already in the car so I won't have to run too much more line.

any help would be great
steve

turbovanmanČ
03-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Does your car have a stock guage-if so, just use that line. If not, the MAP line works or any other vacuum source. I prefer to T-off the FPR line.

Dave
03-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't personally reccomend the MAP line as it needs the most accurate reading of all... of course it's all pressurized and the pressure will always be equal within the boost, I would just go to the line CLOSEST to the intake manifold as possible. Do not go to the throttle body, I know you're not dumb but just making sure. :thumb:

You can run it through the fire wall where the heater hoses go to with all the foam insulation around it... just jab a real long screwdriver through it, remove the lower interior pieces, find the screwdriver on this side of the wall, run your line up there, grab it and hook it up.

As for the electrical, I'd just grab a voltometer (Im not real sure how many volts your looking for, make sure your lights are on though) and splice it into your headlights, or if you have a Traveler system, this works too.

CDNTurboZ
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
thanks guys
I don't have the stock line (chargers never came with boost gauges) I'll attempt to run a new line, it will be hard though as l-body engine bays are tight:p

Now I bought a stewart warner boost gauge, they gave some small plastic line(about 6 feet) should I use that? or should I get some bigger vacuum line?

turbovanmanČ
03-23-2006, 04:18 PM
thanks guys
I don't have the stock line (chargers never came with boost gauges) I'll attempt to run a new line, it will be hard though as l-body engine bays are tight:p

Now I bought a stewart warner boost gauge, they gave some small plastic line(about 6 feet) should I use that? or should I get some bigger vacuum line?

That is fine, :thumb:

Domino
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
just as a side question for me....will pulling a stock boost gauge out of another turbo mopar work? my lebaron doesn't have one & i'm on a very limited budget.

Dave
03-23-2006, 10:46 PM
just as a side question for me....will pulling a stock boost gauge out of another turbo mopar work? my lebaron doesn't have one & i'm on a very limited budget.

Yes, but they aren't very accurate. Several people have the stock gauge and a new one hooked up, and the new one gives a different reading.

Domino
03-23-2006, 11:48 PM
well, bleh, i guess i won't look for one when i go to the junkyard on saturday....

Dave
03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
well, bleh, i guess i won't look for one when i go to the junkyard on saturday....

Give it a try. You "might" be surprised. Set the boost up, if it cuts out at 15psi then I'd keep it, it would be pretty accurate then. I'm sure they're dang cheap, anyways.

Domino
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Give it a try. You "might" be surprised. Set the boost up, if it cuts out at 15psi then I'd keep it, it would be pretty accurate then. I'm sure they're dang cheap, anyways.

ok, i just might look and see then. i'm a real newbie when it comes to turbo cars, so i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions in the future.