PDA

View Full Version : To those who have converted to 16v head

shadow88
09-20-2008, 05:49 PM
I mean doing the hybrid neon/stratus head swap on a 2.2/2.5L

I have a few questions:

Do you feel it was worth the effort?

What were the hardest parts to find/make?

What did you find are the worst part about it? (fitment, tune, timing belt)

What was the most time consuming part?.

Does your engine make the horsepower/torque you were expecting?

I'm seriously thinking of this idea and would like some first hand experience. Thanks in advance.

2.216VTurbo
09-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Maybe you should ask how many guys have blown up/melted down their first hybrid conversion:o

shadow88
09-20-2008, 10:36 PM
That's a valid question too! Thanks Alan.

BadAssPerformance
09-20-2008, 11:44 PM
If you want 16v, then, 2.4L swap

BTW, FWIW, my Z has run the same mph at the same boost level (24psi) with a stock 2.4L head (stock 2.4L cams) as it did with a badass 2.2L 8v head (FM475 cam).

shadow88
09-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't have the parts for a 2.4l swap. I have a common block that needs pistoins and a hone, and a stratus head, and a virgin 8 valve head, and a set of oversize valves. And the current block is now damaged. That's why I specified a 2.2/2.5l stratus/neon head swap.

I inderstand there's some huge gains in the 2.4l swap. I've seen a special red rampage get quite quick this year. But that's not in the cards over the winter.

turbovanmanČ
09-21-2008, 01:54 AM
I am not quite a hybrid but mine is a 2.5 TIII and yes, I would do it again. The midrange and all around power is insane. With no real tuning, less boost, no 3rd gear, I've gone faster than my ported and tweaked 8 valve setup using the same turbo, :thumb:

I still think a 2.2/2.5 hybrid is the best bang for your buck. A 2.4 is nice but you need to fab alot of stuff and if you have no connections or no skill for that, its a hard job. Another bonus to the hybrid is you can use off the shelf stock pistons.

shelbyplaya
09-21-2008, 01:11 PM
If i have the chance i would bulid another hybrid, Only thing i would change is that i would go with a 2.2l. Othe r then that i LOVE mine! A hybrid is a motor you can truly call your own creation.

shadow88
09-21-2008, 02:10 PM
If i have the chance i would bulid another hybrid, Only thing i would change is that i would go with a 2.2l. Othe r then that i LOVE mine! A hybrid is a motor you can truly call your own creation.

I call my creations mine anyways. It's not a moral issue if I'll build one, I just wanted some questions answered by those who have built a hybrid engine 2.2L stratus/neon head.

turbovanmanČ
09-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Powerwise, hell yeah but I've only dynoed it once, it made more power than my 8 valve with no tuning, lol.

shelbyplaya
09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I call my creations mine anyways. It's not a moral issue if I'll build one, I just wanted some questions answered by those who have built a hybrid engine 2.2L stratus/neon head.

I didnt bulid my 16v. I bought it bulit alredy. But the 3 other attempts the hardest part would have been the exhaust manifold and the oil returns. The oil returns is where i'm having issues of them not keeping up with the sheer volume of oil when spinning at 6500-7000rpm.

The hardest parts after that would be cam timing. adjustable cam gears would be a must! My cam gears are either so far off the car wont idle (but has awsome top end) or it idles fin but wont make any power over 5000rpm.
the other hard part is setting up the exhaust manifold and DP.

Time consuming part would be setting everything up to look pretty, extending the wiers for the TPS and AIS, temp sensors, knoack and air temp sensors.

Power is'nt bad on my set up. Un-tuned on a base line with a stock T3 w/ .63 turbine, crushed DP to clear the rack and only 15psi it hit 225whp @ 5000rpm and 310wtq @ just shy of 3000rpm with 12:1 A/F. timing was only 6* as well.

I'm looking at making 350whp and 400wtq when I go with the megasquirt with EDIS 4.

shadow88
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Shelbyplaya - could you tell me who built your engine for you?

Or if anyone else want to chime in....?

shelbyplaya
09-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Shelbyplaya - could you tell me who built your engine for you?

Or if anyone else want to chime in....?

I bought the motor from 90c/s who had it bulit in edmonton or calgary (forgot where he's from). I know he's on the other forums, not to sure about this one. Pretty much any shop will bulid the motor. You just have to make sure they know to shave the block so it's better to do all the prep work your self! The key is to do it right the first time! If your gonna do the bulid up get the proper pistons and ARP everything. dont cheap out!!!!!!!!!

My biggest issue is to much oil in the top end at high revs but that is soon to be sorted out.

shadow88
09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I bought the motor from 90c/s who had it bulit in edmonton or calgary (forgot where he's from). I know he's on the other forums, not to sure about this one. Pretty much any shop will bulid the motor. You just have to make sure they know to shave the block so it's better to do all the prep work your self! The key is to do it right the first time! If your gonna do the bulid up get the proper pistons and ARP everything. dont cheap out!!!!!!!!!

My biggest issue is to much oil in the top end at high revs but that is soon to be sorted out.

Chances of getting hold of him through T-M is not likely. He hasn't been on since March. Do you have any of his contact info you wouldn't mind passing along in a PM?

shelbyplaya
09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Chances of getting hold of him through T-M is not likely. He hasn't been on since March. Do you have any of his contact info you wouldn't mind passing along in a PM?

have you checked turbo-2.com yet?

whywoody
10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Mine is probably the cheapest built yet,and has survived near daily driving for 3 years and about 70k klm's....The engine has recently been swapped into a better van body and nothing was done to the engine while it was out.
Hardest part for me was doing the conversion in the parking lot at work with the block still in the engine bay...
I think things that are difficult for each person will differ dramaticly due to each person's experience with fabrication,problem solving,budget,and equipment available.
I spent the most time building the intercooler,but that isn't specific to the hybrid swap.
The most expensive parts for me that were specific to the hybrid swap would be the Chrysler geniune gasket set I used...the rest was scrounged from pick and pull wreckers and from corners of the buisness I work for (the boss was curious about what I was up to,so donated the fittings/hoses and let me crimp them,and use the shop welding gear).The 3" mandrel bends for the IC plumbing were expensive,but again not specific to the conversion.
I haven't dyno'd it or raced it at a track,but it's way better on fuel,more reliable (no head gasket failures),and 'feels' ALOT stronger to drive since the swap.
I ran it on a stock smec for a while,then a modded 3bar set up,and now am using a flashable smec and my own altered version of Rob's 'Turbonator v14' code via D-cal.It runs really good,safe @ 20 psi,and is getting better with most tweaks I try.
Would I do it again??
HELL YEAH....it would be alot easier the 2nd time 'round too.

I would recommend you form a good written out plan for each area of the conversion,eg for the block,and another for the head,another for the wiring etc....and stick to it in order,then things WILL come together smoothly and be reliable.Be realistic with your goals for HP and budget too.

Goodluck,and GO FOR IT.