PDA

View Full Version : Spirit R/T - need help

3B3XA66A
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Driving the spirit the other day when it died on me.

No fuel pressure, no spark.

we have traced down a short in the black module that is on the alternator. what is this module? can I buy a new one? are they available? can it be bypassed?

thanks. will post pics this afternoon.

thanks,
3B3XA

3B3XA66A
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
here are pics of the wires that attach to the alternator.

thanks for the help

Subliminal
09-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's a 'module'. I think that's just some plastic that keeps those rings aligned in the right spot to connect to the terminals on the alternator.

iTurbo
09-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Not really a module, it's simply a molded connector that simplifies the electrical connections to the alternator. It's integrated into the front engine sub-harness so repair can be difficult, especially with the large gauge wiring. You could look for a used front sub-harness from an R/T, or go to a junkyard and get that connector/pigtail from just about any FWD Dodge vehicle.

3B3XA66A
09-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Not really a module, it's simply a molded connector that simplifies the electrical connections to the alternator. It's integrated into the front engine sub-harness so repair can be difficult, especially with the large gauge wiring. You could look for a used front sub-harness from an R/T, or go to a junkyard and get that connector/pigtail from just about any FWD Dodge vehicle.

thanks, it was being described over the phone as a module so thats how i posted before seeing it.

they think that it has fried itself on the inside.

thanks for the help

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Its easy to verify if its bad, just do a resistance check. If that perchance fails, you'll have no charging but the car will still run if the battery is charged.

turbovanmanČ
09-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Check powers and grounds to the computer, if they are ok, then you have an ASD issue or the computer popped. As for the alt harness, if your getting power from it, its highly unlikely its bad, I've never seen that happen before. Also, any codes?

Tony Hanna
09-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Hmmm... Died while driving, no fuel pressure or spark...

That has me thinking possible crank position sensor failure. Check the wire going from the computer to the ASD while having an assistant crank the engine over. If the computer isn't trying to energize the asd, then I bet the CPS is your problem. If the computer is trying to energize the asd, then you have either a wiring issue, or a bad asd relay.

3B3XA66A
09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
back on the road, thanks for the help

Tony Hanna
09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
back on the road, thanks for the help

^I hate it when people do that.:lol: Don't leave us hanging, tell us what the problem turned out to be.:D

3B3XA66A
09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
failed alternator, which fried the wires inside the molded connector.

replaced the connector, rebuilt the alt and we are on the road!

posting from a cell phone, sorry for the lack of info

shellboy
09-19-2008, 10:17 PM
i love a happy ending!! who has the tissue? ha ha!

Tony Hanna
09-19-2008, 11:55 PM
failed alternator, which fried the wires inside the molded connector.

replaced the connector, rebuilt the alt and we are on the road!

posting from a cell phone, sorry for the lack of info

That's cool. I don't even think I can get the board to display properly on mine. I can hook it to a laptop via USB and connect that way though.
That's interesting that it was the connector keeping it from running. From the symptoms I'd have pegged it as a crank sensor problem for sure. Learn something new every day.:)