PDA

View Full Version : Change Ring/Pinion - How involved?

ShelGame
03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
What's involved in swapping the ring/pinion from an A413? Can it be done in the car?

Stevien1
03-23-2006, 12:39 AM
It's possible to do in the car, but by the time you wrestle it all out, you could've pulled the trans. Been there, done that! ;)

As far as pulling the diff and transfer shaft out (ring/pinion)....

Remove the diff cover, extension housing, and driver side bearing carrier. The differental can be lifted out of the trans (or it'll roll out on it's own if it's in the car- don't let it fall on your head!!!!!!)

Remove the trans pan and valve body to gain access to the large snap ring that retains the pinion bearing cup. Remove the snap ring using big, angled snap ring pliers. Remove the the transfer gear cover and remove both transfer gears using a puller. Loosely reinstall the gear on the transfer shaft, just enough to get one or two threads with the nut. Then pry the gear away from the case, this will lift the transfer shaft out of the bore in the bottom of the case. Your working against an o-ring in the bearing retainer cup.

Swap the transfer shaft and ring over, check the bearing pre-loads, then reassemble. ;)

-Chuck James

ShelGame
03-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Cool, thanks.

I just bought a set of 3.05 R/P and was wondering if I had to pull the trans (that I just installed) to swap them over. I won't be doing it for a while, but it's good to know I can.

Thanks again.