PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding the rear suspension. some questions

135sohc
09-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Hopefully starting next month I'll be starting the rebuilding of the rear suspension on my 94 shadow 4dr. after 230k and with both spring seats on the stock axle rotting apart its time for an upgrade :)

sourced a rust free solid bar axle. will be going all polybushings for the pivots and tossing the wet noodle strength track bar in the parts pile. CSracer trackbar will take its place

while this car is only a daily driver & parts getter and I dont see replacing the 92hp paperweight anytime soon (if ever) for something a bit more peppy...
I do wish to tighten up the handling and make it more predictable. hence buying only the best and not half-a**ing it.

between the stronger axle, firmer bushings and rigid bar is that going to overpower the front suspension and give a harsh ride and/or handling ? compared to stock tuning

next question: refinishing the axle
its currently stripped bare and awaiting me deciding how to best do that ?
thinking a chemical wash, eastwood 2 part epoxy primer and chassis black brushed over that. with DIY bedliner applied to the spring seats for maximum abrasion protection and sealing against salt and other crap that will build up in there

new SS brakehoses & hard line along with cylinders, turned factory drums
de rusted and painted. backing plates stripped bare and powder coated

110%. new or better than new is my goal

Speedeuphoria
09-15-2008, 02:50 AM
between the stronger axle, firmer bushings and rigid bar is that going to overpower the front suspension and give a harsh ride and/or handling ? compared to stock tuning

I dont think it will be any harsher, just more flat/level in the corners(slightly). It wont overpower the front either, it should handle more neutral instead of understeer from the factory

Nemesismachine
09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
why not powder coat the whole thing? It will cost less than buying all the crap from Eastwood. I would know, I have purchased them as well. I got my rear zinc coated and powdercoated for around $100. Throw in some extra brackets like the backing plates and youre all set.

135sohc
09-15-2008, 11:43 AM
where did you get yours powdercoated ? I down south of DC and I see your in Frederick

Nemesismachine
09-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I went to a place in Jessup. Right off of 32 and route 1.

AFI Powder Coating
8844 Washington Blvd # B
Jessup, MD 20794
(410) 888-9228

http://www.google.com/mapdata?CxWURVUCHar3a_sgDwxAjgJIuQFSAnVzkAEDuAEFyg ECZW4