PDA

View Full Version : Good original paint under a Bad Old Paint job.

rosie
09-14-2008, 06:45 PM
The question is after my intro. :blah: Look for the :confused:

I have lots of experience with our beloved communities obsession with OUR cars, but for me it has always been doing a lot with a little and never anything with body work. I figured it just made the stompings that much more fun. I am now diving into the world of paint and boy is it labor intensive. I'm hoping this thread gets legs because I know there are alot of painters out there.

I Have an 87 Shelby Lancer that I have always wanted (auto with leather with nothing missing... except for ONE center cap button) that has sat for at LEAST 8 years. The guy I bought it for is a :angel: because first he saved it from the yard 8+ years ago when his neighbor got into a fight with his mechanic over money and a crappy head job and then stored it in his backyard (uncovered but interior protected)... It is beautiful what clean leather in these cars look like. AND, he held the car from anyone who was going to part it out, even if they were buying the whole car! Well it went to a good home and now I am taking care of the paint. It'd be easier to take it to a paint shop but I like stories and the end result of this one is looking good. No pun intended.

SO

I have a Shelby Lancer that sat with new paint for a long time. Learning from my omni I learned not to be scared of (wet)sanding.

The car is pink from oxidation by the way.

I sanded off the oxidation in a small area, worked my way up to rubbing compound (later switched to a DA buffer and Meguairs paint cleaner) and I had one shiny little red spot on the car.

Experiment 1. There is good paint under the oxidation.

time to shorten this up

When I started doing larger sections the car is now red on one side but looks like hell. Some spots were taken down to the new primer and other spots look like there is smoke under the red.

Today tried to sand down an area where there was new primer because the "new" paint job looks like it was MAYBE 2 coats and I had an idea...

Experiment 2. The original paint under the old new paint is good too. Better to restore then the new paint, I know, because of my experiment with my omni (It came out like I painted the roof) that involved sanding and buffing .

:confused:
How do I sand down the car with some sort of efficiency so I am not wet sanding for the next 40 hours of free time I have (not a sarcastic estimate) to take the finish down to the original paint BUT..... HUGE BUT ... NOT take it down past the original red that is hiding under the protecting coat of pink crap paint job?

Thanks for reading and I will post some pics in the next couple of minutes to help my story along... If I can figure out how to do it.

Also thanks for anyone that helps buy if not keep an eye on this thread cuz I'll post what "the long way" results in too.

Rosie
San Diego
87 Shelby Lancer
86 GLHt ->> Budget daily driven race car
83 Scamp GT ->> future tow vehicle? 10 second monster?

rosie
09-14-2008, 07:01 PM
I have pictures at www.myspace.com/we_are_the_steve.com but you can only look if you are a member.

Don't join just to look. I am not a banner I swear. Give me a minute and I'll figure this out.

rosie
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
One last reply to myself. How do I post pics? Do I need specific privilages to do that? One of my good ole' pals wanna post them for me? Or vouch for my un nube' ness? :love: pretty please?

supercrackerbox
09-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Over on the right of each myspace pic there is a box that has the Photo URL. Click the Copy button. Then come back over here and CTRL V to paste it with and at each end.

http://a970.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/l_0b845ce65a4c4129baea2ff8b4c1dd51.jpg

If you wanna see how it looks in text form, you can click the 'Quote' button at the bottom of this post, and it will pull it up in text form.

:thumb:

rich tideswell
09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
I think you should leave it pink. Any idea how embarrased people will be to be picking their doors off the street when they get blown off by a chic in a pink Lancer.

rosie
09-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Couldn't get myspace to cooperate so I got a photobucket. Never had one before so I wasn't playing possom.
The one in the last post is how I got it off the tow truck(after a wash). The bottom didn't get as much sun as the rest as you can tell.
They look like shadows or imperfections in the camera but that black/grey is the smoke under the paint I was talking about.
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/bigsteventhesteve/l_0776340f0417d39f4ffa3ea52e35f815.jpg
The best I could get it to look. I did the rest of this side of the car but no camera. Gave it back. I'll buy one tomorrow.
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/bigsteventhesteve/l_7e325b9cb0390dfc132ef83431db75e4.jpg
Why am I even wasting my time?
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/bigsteventhesteve/omnithetruebeforepic.jpg
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/bigsteventhesteve/omnithetrueafterpicwturtlewax.jpg
I took care of the window trim already, not the rubber but I have it to put in.
If I have it painted (I will eventully) then it's nice. But if I can tell people "I did that" I get the "wow" even if it's only a 7 from a foot away (it's a 9 from 7 feet away:thumb:).
Thanks again everyone.

Oh yea, You think Rosie's a girls name? :cheer2: Wait till I tell everyone!!!:love:

rosie
09-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Nobody? Ok, today I had to wear a jacket to work cause it was cold. Got home and it was hot as Az. Sanding in the sun sucks so I'm going to start tomorrow with 400 grit dry and some sort of power tool (meant for sanding) to take off the paint. After it starts to gets down to mostly primer and old new paint, then I'm gonna switch to 1000 grit with the sander then sand it wet by hand when it feels right. Sound good?

2.216VTurbo
09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Not to be negative here, but I really don't think you are gonna be able to get thru the bad and into the good withouth going thru the good. If you pull it off, it'd be quite a feat. What's wrong with pink BTW:lol: My old 70 Squareback was hella oxidised Cal-Trans Orange. I used to wipe a thin coat of motor oil on it to bring out the color:p

rosie
09-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I used to wipe a thin coat of motor oil on it to bring out the color:p

NOW you tell me... we used that trick to polish our tool boxes on slow days back when I was on the line. But we were classy, we used foamy bolt loosener.

I know that it's not easy but I've done it on one spot all ready. I'm going to get some matched paint for the spots that I get a little too crazy with (or the previous painters got crazy with, found one of those spots all ready) But the feat is what I'm going for. I'm going to end up having it painted anyway but I want it pretty enough to drive north before that.

Tony Hanna
09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
You could always try this: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1 Check out the 9th post in that thread.
I've always wanted to try that method, but it's hard to justify since I have access to a garage, compressor, and paint guns.:)

rosie
09-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I have the garage and I always wanted to spray a car but I'm doing the same thing in spirit that he's doing which is the bad a.. budget 'paint' job but in my case, no paint. I have done some math and I'm going to keep doing what i'm doing and if it comes out good then my arm will break patting my self on the back if it comes out like crud.... Did you see the pink??

On that note I WILL ABSOLUTLY try it on the GLH. I didn't see in those 300 posts about the weird nooks and crannys on cars. It is a roller. How am I going to handle the trim along the side of the omni? or the canyon if I take out the trim?

I will post those pics here after I experiment with the rear hatch. Thanks for the link! I've got another topic of conversation next Month!

Alan read up. The Maz is getting some touch up work!

Tony Hanna
09-17-2008, 01:49 AM
I have the garage and I always wanted to spray a car but I'm doing the same thing in spirit that he's doing which is the bad a.. budget 'paint' job but in my case, no paint. I have done some math and I'm going to keep doing what i'm doing and if it comes out good then my arm will break patting my self on the back if it comes out like crud.... Did you see the pink??

On that note I WILL ABSOLUTLY try it on the GLH. I didn't see in those 300 posts about the weird nooks and crannys on cars. It is a roller. How am I going to handle the trim along the side of the omni? or the canyon if I take out the trim?

I will post those pics here after I experiment with the rear hatch. Thanks for the link! I've got another topic of conversation next Month!

Alan read up. The Maz is getting some touch up work!

I think he mentioned something about using a foam brush to get the stuff he couldn't work the roller around. I'm assuming since he wet sanded every second coat, any brush marks that didn't self-level would be taken care of then. I never would have guessed that a person could paint a car like that and have it turn out that good. It completely blew my mind the first time I saw that thread. After thinking about it, it makes sense though. If the surface prep is done right, and the paint is wet sanded smooth and polished then there's no reason for it not to look good.:thumb:

supercrackerbox
09-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Probably going to be the method I use to paint the Regal, at least for the time being.

Tony Hanna
09-17-2008, 03:03 AM
I'll honestly probably be using a similar paint, but through a spray gun when I do mine. I wish I would have known about that technique when I was younger, full of energy, with plenty of free time, but low on cash and equipment. I would have put it to good use back then.

rosie
09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
I wish I would have known about that technique when I was younger, full of energy, with plenty of free time, but low on cash and equipment. I would have put it to good use back then.

Seriously. I remember swapping a tranny (with NO idea what I was doing) untill 3 in the morning because I had to get to work with the same car.

Now it's. "cough, cough, I don't think I'm going to make it in today boss"

supercrackerbox
09-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Seriously. I remember swapping a tranny (with NO idea what I was doing) untill 3 in the morning because I had to get to work with the same car.

Now it's. "cough, cough, I don't think I'm going to make it in today boss"

Been there, done that. Both versions.

rosie
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
As long as we're talking about paint jobs on the Lancer, Is there a source to get the window trim/scrapers/ and basically every piece of rubber that has glass touching it? Or am I on another treasure hunt in the yard?

JuXsA
09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I tried using that method with my friends car and didn't care much for it. IMO you can get a better job if you mix the mineral spirits with the rustolium and then spray it. That How I am going to do my '65

rosie
09-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Post the results pics after you spray it !

JuXsA
09-19-2008, 01:42 PM
ohh trust me I will be taking lots of pix of the '65 whens its finished... I need to find some hot tattooed chicks to dress all rockabilly and sit on the hood of my car.

rosie
09-19-2008, 06:59 PM
ohh trust me I will be taking lots of pix of the '65 whens its finished... I need to find some hot tattooed chicks to dress all rockabilly and sit on the hood of my car.

I can line that up. You aren't on the left coast I'm guessing....

rosie
09-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Saw your myspace. You're a browncoat!!! And A Carney!!

:focus:

Check myself, I'll PM you later.

I'm fighting with my omni to make it go faster so I'll do some sanding tomorrow after work.

I need something for sanding and I hope it's on this topic. anyone have an easy up for sale for cheap? the sun is brutal for manual labor right now.

rosie
09-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Elbow grease seems to be working magic. 400 grit to take it down to the new primer (all wet sanding, dry sanding got weird results) then 1000 to take off the primer. Gonna get some spray paint matched at the paint shop for the parts I/previous painter got a little happy with the sanding. Post some pics when I get a dang camera!