PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the 84 Laser

carrelljustin
09-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Well as most of you know I got a 84 laser.. I was wondering who makes the best kit to put her a little closer to the ground.. for some reason I love short chicks... lol just ask my wife.. But I have done some searching and cant really find a good kit to do the job. I dont want to cut any springs or anything like that.. I would like to find either a coil over kit, Or just a plain lowering spring kit. cutting springs just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, something about spring rate and all that other jazz.. well if anyone knows of a good kit for these cars I would love to hear about it.. Thank you

turbovanmanČ
09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
FWD has coilovers I believe and Eibach and a few others make lowering springs. The crappy part is there aren't really any quality shocks/struts around anymore as Koni bailed on us. There really is only Gabriel VST stuff, Bilstein, Gas adjust rears.

BadAssPerformance
09-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Eibachs or MP road race springs lower a Daytona nicely Mine had MP road race springs, KYB struts up front and air shocks in back. The car is tall in this pic with the 24.5" slicjks and 25" skinnies, the stock 225-50-15's are 23" so ~ 3/4" lower on those

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/z_grove_08se08.jpg

carrelljustin
09-13-2008, 12:38 AM
okay so on fwd they only have kits for a 86-94. now i am assuming that since they only made these cars for 3 years they didn't change much on the 86 right???? or am I wrong and needing to go with something else?

BadAssPerformance
09-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Interesting... I dont rememebr any strut or shock differences between 84 and 86. There were many other car differences between 84 and even 85 tho.

turbovanmanČ
09-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I'll check at work but I am pretty sure they all use the same struts, shocks and springs.

jl93sundance
09-13-2008, 08:43 PM
If your looking at eibach springs I would suggest looking at other places than fwdperformance,nothing against their business though. I think I got the pro kit for around $215 shipped, but that was over a year ago.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Interesting, my parts book shows the rear the same but the front has its own part number, the strut bearing is different too? Wonder if you can just use 86 struts and bearings?

carrelljustin
09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Ha ha ha.. Well if you can find out anything let me know.. thanks

TopDollar69
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes, you need to swap the strut and top bearing, then they the same between the 84-85 style and the 86-93 style. It's a very easy swap that I did to my 84 Laser. If you buy the Eibach pro kit, be prepared to cut one of the lower progressive coils off to make the car sit level. If you do some research you will find that Eibach used to make two seperate kits for these cars, and the correct G body kit is no longer made. The Shadow kit works but needs to be modified to work correctly. I really wanted to go with the koni coilover kit from FWD performance, but modifying the struts voided the Koni warranty.

Vigo
09-14-2008, 02:15 PM
the 84-86 and all later struts/springs are different in the front.. but the assemblies will interchange. the bottom of the springs and the lower perches are different, cant remember any differences at the top. either way im SURE you could mix and match because ive got cut springs in i think most of my cars where the end doesnt sit in the perch perfect anymore and they're all just fine.

TopDollar69
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM
The top plates are different on the 84-85 struts, but you are correct, they do interchange as an assembly.

carrelljustin
09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Well poo.... did everyone that actually made a direct bolt in just up and decide that they quit? Stupid people

TopDollar69
09-14-2008, 07:26 PM
You can still get the KYB GR2, but they are not nearly as good as the Konis. If you look around long enough you might be able to find a new set of the front Bilsteins, or some NOS Konis. There were also Monroe Formula GPs, and Mopar performance struts that turn up on Ebay every now and then.