PDA

View Full Version : Axles seated properly in 41te?

lametec
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Remember my friend that was rebuilding a 41TE in his '97 Caravan? Well, he got it all put together last night. When backing out of his driveway the front wheel(s) locked up. It sounded to me like a binding CV joint.

What I'm wondering is if he didn't get the axle(s) seated properly in the diff. These axles have the circlips on the ends.

So, when properly seated, should there be any play in/out of the tranny on the inner joint? He has about 1/4 inch. I think the axles aren't seated, but he thinks they are.

If that's not the problem, any other ideas why an axle that worked fine before removal now seems to bind up every turn or two?

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
There shouldn't be any in and out movement. If the axle isn't seated properly, it just won't move. As for binding, that sounds like an internal issue.

lametec
09-12-2008, 08:18 AM
That's what I thought.

Standing next to the van, it sounded like a grinding CV joint. When I say binding, I don't mean a little more drag, but total locking up of the wheel(s). Turning the steering wheel back and forth would loosen it up 2 out of 3 times, though, so I'm pretty sure it's a CV issue.

I can't think of what else it would be. About the only thing internally to the tranny that would cause it would be foreign objects in the diff housing or park engaging. The FOD could be a possibility, but I don't think park is engaging.

We'll see what he figures out. I'm busy dropping the rebuilt 2.7 into my Intrepid these days, so he's on his own.

Speedeuphoria
09-12-2008, 08:28 AM
I can't think of what else it would be. About the only thing internally to the tranny that would cause it would be foreign objects in the diff housing or park engaging.

What do you mean the only thing could be foreign objects, Sounds like it was not rebuilt properly. Like its in 2 gears at once.

RoadWarrior222
09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
This on the passenger side? Sometimes you can't seat the axle properly without popping out the speed sensor.

lametec
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Foreign objects as in something floating around inside it occasionally wedging between something. But I doubt that's the case. It's not in two gears at once. Like I side, it'll release if you turn the wheels to one extreme or another.

The axle in question is the drivers side. Might also be the passenger side, though, but I was standing on the drivers side when he was pulling out. This is a '97 Caravan, so I don't think it has a speed sensor.

Like I said, though, he had 1/4" in/out play on the drivers side axle. If there's not supposed to be any at all, then that's one issue at least.

This is his first time he has the front end of a FWD vehicle apart (he's a BMW guy, so mostly RWD stuff), so he's not familiar with how it all goes together... that's where I come in with some tips and tricks. :)

Vigo
09-14-2008, 02:12 PM
on a 97 you need to do a quick learn. i rebuilt my 97 606 and without quick learning it with the scanner it would bind badly on the 2-3 upshift and i wouldnt be surprised if not doing it is giving him problems too.

lametec
09-26-2008, 11:55 AM
He figured out the problem.

Turns out he removed the steering stop bumper, and it had fallen down under the drive shaft by the ball joint. It would catch every now and then causing the binding.

Axles apparently were properly seated.

He hasn't done any kind of learning procedure so far, and he says it drives just great.

Thanks for the tips. :)

Vigo
09-28-2008, 02:21 PM
good for him. depending on WHY it needed to be rebuilt you can get away with not quick learning it but when you have access to a scanner, why not. Sometimes access is a problem tho...

turbovanmanČ
09-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Glad he figured it out.

lametec
09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
It needed rebuild 'cause it slipped a lot in 2nd gear (and probably more gears).

When pulling the input shaft out, the shaft seals were pretty much non-existent.

Now he's selling the van. :D