PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane yIKEs!

glhs727
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
OK, just a little FYI
FWD Performance will be close tomorrow -Friday Sept. 12 due to weather conditions. Hopefully we will miss the worst of Hurricane Ike, and be ready to reopen Monday. We will still answer the phone, and you can order over the internet as long as their is power, but there will be NO fedex or UPS service today and tomorrow. Fedex has called in all their drivers in off the roads till Monday. IF there is flooding in the area, we should still be OK, but this may cause additional shipping delays.
We apologize for any inconveneince this causes.
Thanks,
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Wow, hope nothing happens but if it does, maybe the hurricane could blow some parts my way, :evil: :lol:

BadAssPerformance
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Gook luck, be safe! and.... PROTECT THAT BIRTHDAY CAR! ;)

cordes
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Good luck Cindy. Hopefully you have a bit of a survivalist streak in you.

If not you can peruse here for some absolute last minute ideas.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=17

glhs727
09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
well thanks for the link, but I think i won't have to worry too much about survival. I am stocked on water, batteries, beers, and poptarts.:lol:

although if the electricity goes out, my poor kids won't know what to do without the xbox, playstation, internet, and cable. Geez.....we might actually have to talk to each other:blah:
later,
Cindy

cordes
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Sounds good. If you do find yourself needing to sanitize some water remember to add 8 drops of bleach to the gallon.

Frank
09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Stay safe!

Tony Hanna
09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Stay safe!

^That's the important part!
Hopefully you'll miss the worst of it and not have any problems!

Good Luck,

Tony

omni_840
09-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Stay safe!

+2 :)

86trbolancer
09-12-2008, 02:21 AM
very funny yIKEs Cindy.....

yeah hope all is safe and sound out there...

i shipped my rods and pistons out today
and fedex was saying there might be some delays going in...i'ma call 2morrow ta give you my tracking number

sdac guy
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
+1 on the Stay Safe!

I hope you and yours weather the storm well.

Barry

2.216VTurbo
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
well thanks for the link, but I think i won't have to worry too much about survival. I am stocked on water, batteries, beers, and poptarts.:lol:

although if the electricity goes out, my poor kids won't know what to do without the xbox, playstation, internet, and cable. Geez.....we might actually have to talk to each other:blah:
later,
Cindy

:yuck:Oooh, you'd have to drink the beers warm?? That'd be a real hardship!!

Nemesismachine
09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Why apologize for the weather? You can't control it. Or can you...;)

Be safe!

slasky
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Stay safe and good luck.
I hope you have one of these around
http://www.havenerent.com/images/BradleyPowerPlusGeneratorL.jpg

I had to run my house on mine for two weeks the last time we had an ice storm here.

looneytuner
09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey Cindy! Keep ALL the rain down there. We are 16" over normal already and supposed to get another 6" from Ike. That generator pic reminds me to put it in the boat so I will have power!
I'm 800' above sea level and 300' above the Missouri but you can never be TOO prepared.

Yours truly
Noah

86trbolancer
09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
:yuck:Oooh, you'd have to drink the beers warm?? That'd be a real hardship!!

when i was in jamacia last x-mas lotsa places didn't have power or ran outa ice so we were drinking warm red strips and warm GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout(its 7.0%alc everywhere else cept here in the US)...it all goes good with a splif..

lol:partywoot:

contraption22
09-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Good luck to all of those in the path of the storm!

fleckster
09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Good Luck, Cindy and the whole gang at FWD Performance! You will be in our thoughts as we keep an eye on the weather. If you can, keep us posted on how things get and obviously after the storm blows over! Stay safe!!!!

glhs727
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM
small update.
9:15 pm friday: Ike just starting to move into Galveston, we are about 70 miles inland. They are seeing sustained winds of 60mph + and gusts around 95mph. They say is is a borderline cat 2/3 hurricane but becuase of the size, the storm surge is more like a cat 4/5. Some areas experience storm surges of over 20ft. Galvestopn is seeing storm surges of over 20 feet. Too bad the seawall is only 14ft. At least 12 homes on fire on the island, but fire crews can't get to them because they are surrounded by chest high water. How ironic to have your house burn down during a hurricane/flood. We are seeing winds of 40 mph now, but no rain. the wind will continue picking up and the rain should is moving into the Houston area, so I expect to see it soon. Then it will be like that all through the night. So far so good. We still have electricity and cable, although it has gone out a couple times already but came back up quickly. We, like everyone else, are just sitting tight, waiting it out.
Thanks for eveyone's good words!
The shop is secure, we managed to put 9 cars in the service side, 2 cars in the warehouse side, and 3 more vehicles in the neighbors shop.
So till next update!...
later,
Cindy

black86glhs
09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Time to celebrate! Start drinkin! Thats what my friends in Orleans did. And yes, during Katrina too.
Seriously, you guys should be ok. The rain totals, I believe, will be worse than the wind where you guys are at.

dodgeshadowchik
09-13-2008, 09:15 AM
stay safe and good luck! it should weaken pretty quick since its no longer over water... so flooding would be the main concern.

WickedShelby88
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Apparently there is lots of flooding in the Galveston area. It looks really bad and you guys aren't that far away. I hope you all are okay aren't sustaining any damage. I had a friend who lived plenty far away from hurricanes in central florida and was still w/o power for 4 days a couple years ago. Good luck. Your in our prayers.

slasky
09-13-2008, 10:55 AM
At least 12 homes on fire on the island, but fire crews can't get to them because they are surrounded by chest high water. How ironic to have your house burn down during a hurricane/flood.

Actually it is a good thing if they don't have flood insurance.

looneytuner
09-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Do a Google for Galveston hurricane. I think around the 1890 there was a massive hurricane that killed just about everyone that was on the island. Only a few buildings were left standing.

GLHSKEN
09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Cindy, looks like the cell towers are down now. I was in contact with Brant up until 2 hours ago (he's 12 miles from Cindy). Worst of the rain/wind is going through Spring now. Stay buttoned up and thanks for EVERYTHING!!!

Anonymous_User
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Hope everything is well. I have a cousin in a suburb of Houston. Haven't heard anything, but I don't expect to be the first to hear anything, either.

Vigo
09-14-2008, 02:20 PM
we didnt get a damn thing in san marcos and san antonio except some light winds and a spritz of rain. blah.

Hope everything's ok in Spring when you get back.

looneytuner
09-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I did my own search for the 1900 Galveston storm. If followed the same track over Cuba. Cat 4 storm. Killed 1 out of 6 residents.

I heard that one person that called to be rescued after ignoring the orders was told to attach a secure id to his ankle to simplify id if his body was recovered.

Vigo
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
hah thats brilliant! after that level of disregard for his likelihood of survival ill bet he wouldnt take the same chance again!

glhs727
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
OK, a quick update!

we survived. Lots of downed trees and debri everywhere. There was some limited flooding in areas but overall it's all good. we have no power, no water pressure, and since there is no power, gas stations can not pump gas, and the few that can have lines of over 4+ hours. We have a generator, and are sharing power with our neighbor. We are rationing it's use since fuel is in short supply. Luckily I filled all my vehicles before the storm hit. I already emptied the 89 CSX's tank for the generator, and took several gallons from the neighbor. We had 5 trees come down, one hit our porch and punctured a hole through it, otherwise no other damage. really sorry to see the oaks go down. They were all about 2 feet in diameter and about 40 feet high. luckily none hit any neighbors. Everyone I know came out OK, so we are all thankful for that. We stored a total of 15 cars inside at our shop and the shop next door. Both shops came out great. No damage. Birthday car still intact! LOL
Once we get power, FWD will reopen 100%. In the meantime, we are taking phone orders, and calls. I know it may be hard getting through, but each day phone service is getting better. We will start shipping again on Thursday. I apologize for the inconvenience, but not much we can do.
The electric provider says it may be up to 30 days before power is restored, but since we are in a very populated area, I have to think it will be a lot sooner than that. Schools are closed till next week, and I am getting a lot of quaility time with my kids:thumb: Overall, I am very thankful of our outcome, and aside from some inconvenience, it's all good! But I will say during the storm it was pretty crazy! I couldn't imagine going through a cat 5, glad this was just a borderline 2/3 storm. With sustained winds of 60-70 mph and gusts of 95 mph, I didn't get any sleep! looking out the window it was just a blur of sideways rain and trees bent over. The roar of the wind was deafening. several hours of winds going one way, then a brief calm and then several hours of winds going the other way. Talk about a weapon of mass destruction!
Later,
Cindy

Clay
09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound!!

lancer402
09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Glad to hear you made it and you're surviving. Are the beers warm or is the fridge on the generator? I went through Hugo in 89 and know its not fun.
Sunday, the Ike winds tore the crap out of cincinnati here and we might get power back Saturday at our house.

Take care
andy

chilort
09-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I went through a couple while living in south FL. I was fresh out of the midwest at the time and it was not fun.

Good luck getting everything back up and running.

forcefed87
09-17-2008, 11:53 PM
cindy... I hope all is well ...from what I have seen Galveston really took a beating. ..I hope the Houston area missed the worst of it.If the kids get on your nerves, put them to work. Tell them you need to inventory all your stock for the insurance company. That ought to keep them busy for a while. Hopefully everything returns to normal before the beer runs out. Besides, there are only so recipes for pop tarts(hobo pies)

glhs727
09-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Another update. Well, we had internet, then we didn't, and now we do again.
We still do NOT have electricity or water. Really stinks, but considering the overall widespread outages, etc.... we came out pretty good. Parts of our area do have power so things are getting back to normal somewhat. Gasoline wait times are now minimal, and lots of places are open. We finally got tired of running extension cords from the generator and hard wired it into the electrical system so we aren't suffering too bad. Got the refridge running and since we have a gas stove, cooking is not an issue. Plus the grocery store was up a running early on from genorator power so we were able to replenish the pop tarts LOL Overall everything is good, just looking forward to getting the shop back to normal. Looks like Monday will be a very busy day for us at the shop.
Later,
Cindy

Riverratt
09-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Another update. Well, we had internet, then we didn't, and now we do again.
We still do NOT have electricity or water. Really stinks, but considering the overall widespread outages, etc.... we came out pretty good. Parts of our area do have power so things are getting back to normal somewhat. Gasoline wait times are now minimal, and lots of places are open. We finally got tired of running extension cords from the generator and hard wired it into the electrical system so we aren't suffering too bad. Got the refridge running and since we have a gas stove, cooking is not an issue. Plus the grocery store was up a running early on from genorator power so we were able to replenish the pop tarts LOL Overall everything is good, just looking forward to getting the shop back to normal. Looks like Monday will be a very busy day for us at the shop.
Later,
Cindy

Glad to hear it, a word of caution, you mentioned that you have your generator, hooked up to the house wiring??

That is a potentially dangerous situation, be doubly certain your not sending power, to the outside power lines!!!.

Would not want to hurt the fellers working on the power lines :thumb: And you would not want your generator, blown up when the power does come on!

Odds are ya'll have already taken those precautions, but just in case, I am mentioning it.

omni_840
09-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Glad to hear thats things are slowly getting back to normal :)

glhs727
09-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Glad to hear it, a word of caution, you mentioned that you have your generator, hooked up to the house wiring??

That is a potentially dangerous situation, be doubly certain your not sending power, to the outside power lines!!!.

Would not want to hurt the fellers working on the power lines :thumb: And you would not want your generator, blown up when the power does come on!

Odds are ya'll have already taken those precautions, but just in case, I am mentioning it.

Don't worry, we have the main power to the house shut off so nothing goes back to the lines, and won't have an issue when power is restored. But thanks for the warning!

Aries_Turbo
09-20-2008, 09:33 AM
glad to hear that you guys came out of it ok. :)

Brian

GLHSKEN
09-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear things are going ok Cindy..... Still 130k houses here with no power as well... Never thought a hurricane (tropical storm winds here) would reach us in Cincinnati. WOW...

Thanks again for everything.... Don't forget about the clutch....